Cost of shipping

Old Nov 28th 2013, 4:05 pm
Just Joined

Dundeeman81 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of shipping

Hi all

Recently returned to the UK with my kiwi wife and 2 young daughters for family reasons after 5 pretty years in Auckland....Already planning the trip back but was wondering if anyone could advise us the costs of shipping household contents.. three to-bedroom house..Any rough idea on what total costs door to door would be much appreciated.

Gav
Old Nov 28th 2013, 6:14 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of shipping

you would be looking at approx 4-6k depending on company and insurance. we paid near 6k two years ago for a 40ft contain with seperate insuranceer
Old Nov 29th 2013, 2:21 am
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

20ft container 3500 GBP 8 weeks door to door
Old Nov 29th 2013, 4:28 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by janeyk View Post
20ft container 3500 GBP 8 weeks door to door
really?? that would of been nice.
ours left house at 30th Dec 2011 and finally arrived 12th March 2012. so over 10wks

we got all excited as saw it was heading down from AUckland just for it to bypass Wellington and go on to ChCH before heading back to Wellington.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 2:31 pm
Just Joined

Dundeeman81 is an unknown quantity at this point

Thanks for that guys...interesting...3500 sounds as reasonable a figure as I've heard which company did you go with? Did you pack yourself? although it's off course subjective do you think you could get a average 4- bedroom family home into a 20ft container?
Old Nov 29th 2013, 6:16 pm

Originally Posted by Dundeeman81 View Post
off course subjective do you think you could get a average 4- bedroom family home into a 20ft container?
frankly I doubt it

If you pack yourself the moving company won't insure you so you would have to look else way and their might be a premium cost for packing yourself.
Old Nov 29th 2013, 7:36 pm
Just Joined

TraceySW is an unknown quantity at this point

I was quoted £1500 for 20ft container from home in Sheffield to port in Auckland yesterday by Tudor Freight......
Old Nov 30th 2013, 4:44 am
BE Forum Addict

Hebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond reputeHebe has a reputation beyond repute

That seems cheap. My recent quote from Melbourne to Auckland for a 40ft container is $8,500 exc insurance
Old Dec 1st 2013, 10:32 am
Forum Regular

TheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond reputeTheCockneyKiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Its worth mentioning that you pay two amounts. One for the moving fee and then insurance on top.

We got quotes off Pickfords, Doree Bonner, Crown and and John Mason

We went with Doree Boneer, who we managed to get down to £3500 for a 20ft container. We also had to pay £100 for two TV crates plus Insurance which works out roughly 3% of your total value of goods.

We shipped everything (3 bed house) on Friday 29th November and was really pleased with the service. Really professional guys.

We had £15k of household items + my motorbike (£5k) so the total sum to insure was £20k, so insurance worked out around £600.

£4,200 in total.
Old Dec 1st 2013, 6:45 pm
BE Enthusiast

janeyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond reputejaneyk has a reputation beyond repute

we had some items still packed however the company PSS were happy for us to pack books etc (non breakables) and still insure!
Old Mar 28th 2014, 12:20 am
Forum Regular

Helen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to allHelen256 is a name known to all

We had half a 20ft container, door to door, we packed most of it, £1300ish. Manchester to Auckland with no insurance.
We also had air freight for hubby's tools as he needed them for when he started work for £230 (I sent myself a package through the mail that was quicker than the 'air freight'... and for a third of the cost).

Our company seems a bit shite by comparison. Or not? I've had 5 different invoices just for one of the shipments and six separate individuals email me with varying versions of what's currently going on...
Old Mar 28th 2014, 9:35 am
BE Forum Addict

RobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond reputeRobDon has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Dundeeman81 View Post
do you think you could get a average 4- bedroom family home into a 20ft container?
We got a four bed roomed house into a 20ft container.
Watching them pack everything was like watching a giant game of Tetris, every inch of space was used.