British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cost of rotivators (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-rotivators-421138/)

sniffydog Jan 23rd 2007 8:37 pm

Cost of rotivators

Recent responses to our thread "supermarket sweep" set us thinking - if we were to get a large veggie patch how much do rotivators cost in NZ? Is it worth buying one in the UK and bringing with us?

Any NZ website links appreciated!

Cheers!

mazi Jan 23rd 2007 8:51 pm

Re: Cost of rotivators

Originally Posted by sniffydog (Post 4317616)
Recent responses to our thread "supermarket sweep" set us thinking - if we were to get a large veggie patch how much do rotivators cost in NZ? Is it worth buying one in the UK and bringing with us?

Cheers!

What's a rotivator?

Apple12 Jan 23rd 2007 8:53 pm

Originally Posted by sniffydog (Post 4317616)

Cheers!

I think most people would hire one for the day rather than buy one? Depends on how big you want your vegie patch to be?

sniffydog Jan 23rd 2007 8:56 pm

Will need to be really big in light of comments about NZ veggies for sale. Especialy if I am to supply Pac n Starve not the export market....

mazi Jan 23rd 2007 8:57 pm

Originally Posted by Apple12 (Post 4317675)
I think most people would hire one for the day rather than buy one? Depends on how big you want your vegie patch to be?

Ah, thanks Apple12 (not that you'll see me thanking you but someone else might tell you), I'm guessing a rotivator is something you dig with...?

Apple12 Jan 23rd 2007 9:01 pm

Originally Posted by sniffydog (Post 4317689)
Will need to be really big in light of comments about NZ veggies for sale. Especialy if I am to supply Pac n Starve not the export market....

On the assumption that you are not just taking the p...

You can buy vegies for sale from markets, greengrocers, roadside stalls as well as growing your own.

There is no shortage of good quality fruit and vegies.

You might need to find something else to worry about.

Biddy Jan 23rd 2007 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by sniffydog (Post 4317689)

Don't believe all you read about veggies here. I have absolutely no problem getting good quality inexpensive veggies at all.

Having said that I have just finished digging a 10ft x 6ft veggie patch - no rotavator needed as we're on top of a big sand dune!

sniffydog Jan 23rd 2007 9:09 pm

I'm not worrying - seems everyone else is in NZ (see thread " supermarket sweep").

Could sense a bit of an opportunity alongside a degree of self-sufficiency!!!

mazi Jan 23rd 2007 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by Biddy (Post 4317735)
Don't believe all you read about veggies here.

I'm sure the people who have written things about veg are not lying! By the same token, I'm sure some people find them fine.

Biddy Jan 23rd 2007 9:12 pm

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4317749)
I'm sure the people who have written things about veg are not lying! By the same token, I'm sure some people find them fine.

I'm sure they're not lying but perhaps need to look a little further than the local supermarket.

I have also found there are plenty of people who concentrate on negatives a lot more than positives

sky Jan 23rd 2007 9:14 pm

I just missed a rotivator at a garage sale .. it sold for $25 :ohmy: it was old but still worked. Best to look out for a second hand one cos anything you buy new here usually breaks down anyways :p
We're on the lookout for a cheap chipper and a cement mixer at the mo and both will be good make second hand ones rather than new no known brand names.

mazi Jan 23rd 2007 9:15 pm

Originally Posted by Biddy (Post 4317761)
I'm sure they're not lying but perhaps need to look a little further than the local supermarket.

I have also found there are plenty of people who concentrate on negatives a lot more than positives

But the thread with veg was about supermarkets.

re. the neg and pos - some people have experienced more neg than pos. Not that's that necessarily a neg thing, they can use it to make pos somewhere else!

sniffydog Jan 23rd 2007 9:16 pm

chipper?

mazi Jan 23rd 2007 9:17 pm

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4317772)
I just missed a rotivator at a garage sale .. it sold for $25 :ohmy: it was old but still worked. Best to look out for a second hand one cos anything you buy new here usually breaks down anyways :p
We're on the lookout for a cheap chipper and a cement mixer at the mo and both will be good make second hand ones rather than new no known brand names.

sky, is a rotivator a digging thing?

Jude J Jan 23rd 2007 9:36 pm

Originally Posted by mazi (Post 4317795)
sky, is a rotivator a digging thing?

I dont know much about this sort of thing but I think sky might have gone, so I'll answer anyway! I think it kind of turns over the top of the soil, pulls out weeds and stuff. Or is that a combine harvester? Just kidding...
The most adventurous I'm getting is to grow some herbs in pots, borrowed a little book from my neighbour about it.