British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cost of petrol in NZ (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-petrol-nz-770515/)

Snap Shot Sep 4th 2012 9:59 am

Cost of petrol in NZ

I spent $92.51 (about £45) on petrol today, I purchased 41.5 litres. I bought 95 Octane petrol which cost $2.28 (about £1.14), I went to our local BP. (There's four of them in our town, it's so exciting !). I used my AA fuel discount card to get 6 (about 3p) cents per litre discount. Let's see how long the petrol lasts in my car.

simonsi Sep 4th 2012 10:45 am

Re: Cost of petrol in NZ

Probably about as long as the last 41.5 litres.

Sorry am I missing some conclusion that cannot be drawn from the price alone :confused:

Persephone Sep 4th 2012 10:49 am

Just noticed it has come down slightly today. Is $2.19 down here.

Justcol Sep 4th 2012 11:01 am

yep its bloody expensive alright, I think it went up when the last hurricane drifted into the gulf of mexico
and they cut production from the off shore platforms there, we may see a slight drop when they get back on line

Jobry01 Sep 4th 2012 11:14 am

Is the point of this to rub our noses in it :lol:
Cheapest fuel here i can find is £1.42 and costs me £85 to fill up :frown:

mickey_d Sep 4th 2012 11:50 am

1 Attachment(s)

Originally Posted by Jobry01 (Post 10263048)

You need to look harder:)

Droidling Sep 4th 2012 12:40 pm

Used to have a mate like that,he'd drive miles for cheap petrol ... :D

Jobry01 Sep 4th 2012 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by mickey_d (Post 10263107)
You need to look harder:)

meant diesel
is asda open again i went round and was closed

Assanah Sep 4th 2012 4:18 pm

Originally Posted by Jobry01 (Post 10263048)

You shouldn't make the mistake and convert the costs. We get paid in $ and we have to pay our petrol in $. We don't earn more than people in the UK, so for us the cost of petrol is as if we would have to pay £2.29 in the UK. That IS bloody expensive.

TommyLuck Sep 4th 2012 5:27 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10263535)
You shouldn't make the mistake and convert the costs. We get paid in $ and we have to pay our petrol in $. We don't earn more than people in the UK, so for us the cost of petrol is as if we would have to pay £2.29 in the UK. That IS bloody expensive.

But you either don't pay, or pay vastly reduced sums of car insurance compared to the UK ...

simonsi Sep 4th 2012 6:54 pm

That may hold true for you, or someone on avg earnings in NZ compared to someone earning avg earnings in the UK but it certainly isnt a generalism. Extrapolating the avg to everyone in the specific is what got Europe where it is IMHO.

I'll also wager that the avg European expat in NZ wasnt/isnt on the avg earnngs in either country so frankly that makes the comparison useless. You HAVE compared the costs, then washed that through an earnings ratio (which included another currency conversion)....

simonsi Sep 4th 2012 6:58 pm

Originally Posted by TommyLuck (Post 10263694)
But you either don't pay, or pay vastly reduced sums of car insurance compared to the UK ...

True, and the savings would buy a lot of petrol, even at adjusted International Cost of Living Dollars.... :rofl:

View out the windscreen is better too :thumbsup:

Assanah Sep 4th 2012 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10263855)
That may hold true for you, or someone on avg earnings in NZ compared to someone earning avg earnings in the UK but it certainly isnt a generalism. Extrapolating the avg to everyone in the specific is what got Europe where it is IMHO.

I'll also wager that the avg European expat in NZ wasnt/isnt on the avg earnngs in either country so frankly that makes the comparison useless. You HAVE compared the costs, then washed that through an earnings ratio (which included another currency conversion)....

If we do not generalize we would not be able to talk to each other, politics would not be possible or something as useful as epidemiology. And to be honest I don't understand the connection between extrapolating the average to everyone and the mess Europe is in. I would also like to know what is different in NZ which I have experienced as a country that is in love with the average and caters to the average much more than even Europe.

phyns Sep 4th 2012 8:06 pm

Most things in NZ are expensive but fuel, while still expensive is cheaper in NZ when compared to the average salary in NZvUK.

sorry, not trying to start a debate but your £2.29 in the UK comment is incorrect.

BEVS Sep 4th 2012 11:07 pm

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie (Post 10262935)
I spent $92.51 (about £45) on petrol today, I purchased 41.5 litres. I bought 95 Octane petrol which cost $2.28 (about £1.14), I went to our local BP. (There's four of them in our town, it's so exciting !). I used my AA fuel discount card to get 6 (about 3p) cents per litre discount. Let's see how long the petrol lasts in my car.

Originally Posted by simonsi (Post 10263005)
Probably about as long as the last 41.5 litres.Sorry am I missing some conclusion that cannot be drawn from the price alone :confused:

Yes. :p

I'll be waiting with baited breath. To the kilometre please.:sneaky: