Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of petrol in NZ

Cost of petrol in NZ

Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:43 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of petrol in NZ

As a rough guide, my wifes 2008 suzuki swift 1.5l gets about 10 days use out of $70 worth of 91 octane (currently $2.19l) She attends clinics all over Chch and does a fair few Km's - next time we fill I'll measure how many Km's it covers.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:03 am
BE Enthusiast

alanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond reputealanmacc has a reputation beyond repute

I drive a 3l BMW and a full tank will cost about $120 from that I get around 550km split between open road and round town driving, not too bad
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:14 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

I drive a 2.6V Volkswagen Passat and it usually costs anywhere between $100 and $125 (most i've paid) to fill the car up here without any discount.

I'm going to note how many kilometers I can get out of it next time before deciding whether to go onto the 95 fuel instead of the current 91 fuel I use. Usually I get through a full tank in 10 days

On a comparison, i'm spending around the same amount that I did back in the UK when I had an Audi A3 1.6 with fuel. I can't compare it to the clio as I had a diesel engine back then and used to travel over 160 miles to work and back daily
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:25 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

ummm i'm going to be a girl - Tom1983....whats the difference between 95 and 91? I always thought that it was just better for the engine.

I drive a 1997 1.8 subaru and get on average 400km out of the tank which is about 40 litres.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:38 am
Account Closed

Tom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura aboutTom1983 has a spectacular aura about

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
ummm i'm going to be a girl - Tom1983....whats the difference between 95 and 91? I always thought that it was just better for the engine.

I drive a 1997 1.8 subaru and get on average 400km out of the tank which is about 40 litres.
Apparently it's a more advanced unleaded fuel 95 than 91. It's a bit more expensive but does good

Barnsley_Matts mechanic friend will be able to inform you better than me
Old Sep 5th 2012, 1:48 am
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

yeah thats the thing - what does more advanced mean! If it means I will get much more mileage out of it i might consider buying it.....otherwise doubtful its worth it on a 15 year old!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 2:03 am
BE Enthusiast

Robbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond reputeRobbie2010 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
yeah thats the thing - what does more advanced mean! If it means I will get much more mileage out of it i might consider buying it.....otherwise doubtful its worth it on a 15 year old!
If your car is designed to run on 91 octane fuel you will not get more mileage by using 95 octane fuel!

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...13468108610433

If your car is designed to run on 95 octane fuel the engine electronics will deliver the best performance possible when you use that rating. If you use a lower octane fuel then, if you have a newish car, the system will often compensate for that situation and allow the engine to run without inflicting any damage...and an increase your consumption.

Last edited by Robbie2010; Sep 5th 2012 at 2:07 am.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 7:22 am
Forum Regular

Ex Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to allEx Aucklander is a name known to all

Been driving around USA the past few months petrol here is under US4 a gallon. Food also is significantly cheaper than NZ.

Milk US$3.30 a gallon
Capsicums $1 each or cheaper
Rock melons 2 for $2.50

L'Oreal hair colour US$7.49 in NZ it costs NZ$27

The same brand nail polish US$5.50 in NZ I pay NZ$23

The Americans complain about the high cost of living here, I tell them to go live in NZ then they'll have something to really whinge about.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:02 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
You shouldn't make the mistake and convert the costs. We get paid in $ and we have to pay our petrol in $. We don't earn more than people in the UK, so for us the cost of petrol is as if we would have to pay £2.29 in the UK. That IS bloody expensive.
Actually I've said it before but never mind I'll say it again until I am blue in the face - it seem many people look at the present exchange rate and are therefore under some illusion that UK salaries translate at a straightforward 2:1 in NZ$ to £s.

There's no comparison, we're earning and spending only NZ$ regardless of what the exchange rate says it looks like.

Who is kidding who? If anyone thinks that $100k in NZ translates somehow by magic into an equivalent of earning UK £50k then they are absolutely blooming dreaming. If you're earning NZ$100k you're still earning $100k if the exchange rate moves up or down.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:28 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

95 burns hotter and more explosively than 91.
Your engine is designed to deal with the stresses exerted upon it by the fuel it's designed to run on.
Running a 91 vehicle on 95 will mean your engine runs hotter and under greater stresses.
You get more bang for your buck, which is nice to know when you're in a hire car while yours is getting the big end bearings replaced for a couple of grand.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:45 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Actually I've said it before but never mind I'll say it again until I am blue in the face - it seem many people look at the present exchange rate and are therefore under some illusion that UK salaries translate at a straightforward 2:1 in NZ$ to £s.

There's no comparison, we're earning and spending only NZ$ regardless of what the exchange rate says it looks like.

Who is kidding who? If anyone thinks that $100k in NZ translates somehow by magic into an equivalent of earning UK £50k then they are absolutely blooming dreaming. If you're earning NZ$100k you're still earning $100k if the exchange rate moves up or down.
YES!!!!!
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:48 am
BE Forum Addict

Bellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond reputeBellasmum has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Your engine is designed to deal with the stresses exerted upon it by the fuel it's designed to run on.
Running a 91 vehicle on 95 will mean your engine runs hotter and under greater stresses.
You get more bang for your buck, which is nice to know when you're in a hire car while yours is getting the big end bearings replaced for a couple of grand.
That will be why my mechanic OH has told me to make sure I fill my car with 91 only as suggested on the petrol cap.
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:51 am
BE Enthusiast

Mark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond reputeMark Smith has a reputation beyond repute

I struggle to find 95 locally and end up putting 91 in my 2 stroke scooter (recommended by Aprillia to use 95) - good/bad/not an issue?

Last edited by Mark Smith; Sep 5th 2012 at 8:52 am. Reason: add more detail
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:53 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
Ummm, well not quite. Actually, 95 (higher octane), burns more slowly compared to 91, hence needs more advanced ignition settings so you can extract more useful energy from it via the piston movement as it burns for longer....

Most modern engines will mechanically run on 89 upwards, with benefit stopping around 98 (highest commonly available octane globally these days). The engine management will make best use of any fuel put in within this range, adjusting the ignition settings to suit. This means that putting 98 into my Toyota Estima 3.0 gets approx 8% better fuel economy than running on 91....which just about equates to the price difference last time I looked.

Don't put a fuel into the engine of a lower than recommended octane (ie 89 when the handbook states 91), as it may mean the engine can't adjust the ignition far enough to prevent damage (won't be big end/bearing damage, most likely head gasket or piston failure if anything).
Old Sep 5th 2012, 8:59 am
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by Mark Smith
I struggle to find 95 locally and end up putting 91 in my 2 stroke scooter (recommended by Aprillia to use 95) - good/bad/not an issue?
2-strokes are generally so low-tech it won't matter If anything it will tend to run hot and may "pink" (pre-ignition = BAD). So may be wise to run an octane booster if you are worried....or see if the ignition can be retarded, many scooters would be used in less-than-ideal fuel countries so I'd be surprised if it can't be altered to remove the worry. Some have a plug on the ignition control module, put in one way = 95 fuel, reverse it and it runs on 89 etc...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.