Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of petrol in NZ

Cost of petrol in NZ

Old Sep 4th 2012, 9:59 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Cost of petrol in NZ

I spent $92.51 (about £45) on petrol today, I purchased 41.5 litres. I bought 95 Octane petrol which cost $2.28 (about £1.14), I went to our local BP. (There's four of them in our town, it's so exciting !). I used my AA fuel discount card to get 6 (about 3p) cents per litre discount. Let's see how long the petrol lasts in my car.

Last edited by Snap Shot; Sep 4th 2012 at 10:03 am.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:45 am
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of petrol in NZ

Probably about as long as the last 41.5 litres.

Sorry am I missing some conclusion that cannot be drawn from the price alone
Old Sep 4th 2012, 10:49 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Just noticed it has come down slightly today. Is $2.19 down here.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:01 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

yep its bloody expensive alright, I think it went up when the last hurricane drifted into the gulf of mexico
and they cut production from the off shore platforms there, we may see a slight drop when they get back on line
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:14 am
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough

Is the point of this to rub our noses in it
Cheapest fuel here i can find is £1.42 and costs me £85 to fill up
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:50 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jobry01
You need to look harder
Attached Thumbnails Cost of petrol in NZ-fuel.jpg  
Old Sep 4th 2012, 12:40 pm
Forum Regular

Droidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud ofDroidling has much to be proud of

Used to have a mate like that,he'd drive miles for cheap petrol ...
Old Sep 4th 2012, 1:48 pm
Forum Regular

Jobry01 will become famous soon enoughJobry01 will become famous soon enough

Originally Posted by mickey_d
You need to look harder
meant diesel
is asda open again i went round and was closed
Old Sep 4th 2012, 4:18 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Jobry01

You shouldn't make the mistake and convert the costs. We get paid in $ and we have to pay our petrol in $. We don't earn more than people in the UK, so for us the cost of petrol is as if we would have to pay £2.29 in the UK. That IS bloody expensive.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 5:27 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Assanah
You shouldn't make the mistake and convert the costs. We get paid in $ and we have to pay our petrol in $. We don't earn more than people in the UK, so for us the cost of petrol is as if we would have to pay £2.29 in the UK. That IS bloody expensive.
But you either don't pay, or pay vastly reduced sums of car insurance compared to the UK ...
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:54 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

That may hold true for you, or someone on avg earnings in NZ compared to someone earning avg earnings in the UK but it certainly isnt a generalism. Extrapolating the avg to everyone in the specific is what got Europe where it is IMHO.

I'll also wager that the avg European expat in NZ wasnt/isnt on the avg earnngs in either country so frankly that makes the comparison useless. You HAVE compared the costs, then washed that through an earnings ratio (which included another currency conversion)....
Old Sep 4th 2012, 6:58 pm
It is what it is Member

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
But you either don't pay, or pay vastly reduced sums of car insurance compared to the UK ...
True, and the savings would buy a lot of petrol, even at adjusted International Cost of Living Dollars....

View out the windscreen is better too
Old Sep 4th 2012, 7:53 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by simonsi
That may hold true for you, or someone on avg earnings in NZ compared to someone earning avg earnings in the UK but it certainly isnt a generalism. Extrapolating the avg to everyone in the specific is what got Europe where it is IMHO.

I'll also wager that the avg European expat in NZ wasnt/isnt on the avg earnngs in either country so frankly that makes the comparison useless. You HAVE compared the costs, then washed that through an earnings ratio (which included another currency conversion)....

If we do not generalize we would not be able to talk to each other, politics would not be possible or something as useful as epidemiology. And to be honest I don't understand the connection between extrapolating the average to everyone and the mess Europe is in. I would also like to know what is different in NZ which I have experienced as a country that is in love with the average and caters to the average much more than even Europe.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 8:06 pm
Forum Regular

phyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud ofphyns has much to be proud of

Most things in NZ are expensive but fuel, while still expensive is cheaper in NZ when compared to the average salary in NZvUK.

sorry, not trying to start a debate but your £2.29 in the UK comment is incorrect.
Old Sep 4th 2012, 11:07 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Ray and Debbie
I spent $92.51 (about £45) on petrol today, I purchased 41.5 litres. I bought 95 Octane petrol which cost $2.28 (about £1.14), I went to our local BP. (There's four of them in our town, it's so exciting !). I used my AA fuel discount card to get 6 (about 3p) cents per litre discount. Let's see how long the petrol lasts in my car.
Originally Posted by simonsi
Probably about as long as the last 41.5 litres.Sorry am I missing some conclusion that cannot be drawn from the price alone
Yes.

I'll be waiting with baited breath. To the kilometre please.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.