Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living research

Cost of living research

Old Dec 28th 2006, 3:53 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Cost of living research

Happy New Year everyone.

Trying to research quality of living and am trying to work out cost of living.

I have 2 and a half job offers in Auckland, Surrey (just outside Vancouver) and the half in Calgary

At the mo
3 bed victorian terrace, Vectra V6
Monthly
Housing (mortgage, tax, insurance) £560
Utilities (gas, elec, water) £70
Car (insurance, tax, service, fuel) £190
Food £95
Excl luxuries

I just wondered how it would compare with people in the above areas.
I live alone, so i know the bills are low!!
Old Dec 29th 2006, 4:52 pm
BE Enthusiast

owen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to beholdowen is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cost of living research

Originally Posted by owen
Happy New Year everyone.

I have 2 and a half job offers in Auckland, Surrey (just outside Vancouver) and the half in Calgary

At the mo
Monthly
Food £95
Excl luxuries

Anyone from Auckland want to share their breakdown pls?
Old Dec 29th 2006, 4:55 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I think the variables are a little too large...
Old Dec 29th 2006, 5:06 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Maz
I think the variables are a little too large...
I'm sure they are but I'm hoping someone gives me a slight clue at what I would pay for similar in Auckland somewhere. At the mo I haven't got a clue
Old Dec 29th 2006, 5:14 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

I hate to say it, but have you googled at all?
Old Dec 29th 2006, 7:27 pm
P2L
BE Forum Addict

P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute

Have you looked on NZIS yet? there are lots of links on there re cost of living etc.
ww.immigration.govt.nz

For accommodation try
www.open2view.co.nz

Cars similar to Vauxhall is Holden
www.holden.co.nz
Old Dec 29th 2006, 11:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

Have googled which made me more confused.

Thx Kev and Sarah for the links
Old Dec 30th 2006, 2:17 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

If you earn enough you shouldn't have a prob with the cost of living here at all especially if you have no dependents.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:00 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Happy New Year everyone.

At the mo
Monthly
Food £95
Excl luxuries

I'm in Wellington, so can't help with the specifics of Auckland living :

For housing, try www.open2view.com and www.realestate.co.nz

For cars and all sorts of consumables, www.trademe.co.nz

I live with MOH and our monthly outgoings are :

Electricity $300/month in winter, $100/month in summer - no gas.

Council rates $1600/year

No charge for water

Rubbish collection is charged by the bagful - bags are $1.87 - usually last us 2 weeks - and are bought at supermarket. Recycling bins are $10/each and weekly collection free.

Car insurance - depends on car and age of driver - think I might not be representative for your purposes!

Car Tax - $200/year

Car Service - too many depends on....

Car Fuel - currently $1.429/litre in Wellington - up to 10c/litre discount to be had from supermarkets, dependent on shopping spend.

Parking Fines - have just paid $40 for being "parked in a pay and display aea while not displaying a receipt ticket in the manner required" I had thought I didn't need a ticket after 6.00pm in the City - apparently they've changed the revenue gathering rules and it is now 8.00 or 8.30pm!! That baby was issued while I was in the Courtney Arms at the Wellington BE meet and greet!!

Food ...... depends what you eat - in-shell prawns are currently $9.95/kilo, fresh green-lipped mussels $2.95/kilo, smoked salmon can be had for $9.95/300g, fresh salmon for $22-18/kilo, rump steak under $10/kilo, fresh asparagus $5.95/kilo - a loaf of sliced bread 95c - $3.00, reasonable bacon $8/700g, dozen freerange eggs $6 (don't even think about buying battery eggs!), reasonable edam/cheddar type cheese $8/750g, 3L half-fat milk under $5
Old Dec 30th 2006, 3:46 am
Account Closed

Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light

Factor in a mortgage interest rate of 8-9%, and looking to rise early next year.
Old Dec 30th 2006, 7:19 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cottageinthesky
I'm in Wellington, so can't help with the specifics of Auckland living :

For housing, try www.open2view.com and www.realestate.co.nz

For cars and all sorts of consumables, www.trademe.co.nz

I live with MOH and our monthly outgoings are :

Electricity $300/month in winter, $100/month in summer - no gas.

Council rates $1600/year

No charge for water

Rubbish collection is charged by the bagful - bags are $1.87 - usually last us 2 weeks - and are bought at supermarket. Recycling bins are $10/each and weekly collection free.

Car insurance - depends on car and age of driver - think I might not be representative for your purposes!

Car Tax - $200/year

Car Service - too many depends on....

Car Fuel - currently $1.429/litre in Wellington - up to 10c/litre discount to be had from supermarkets, dependent on shopping spend.

Parking Fines - have just paid $40 for being "parked in a pay and display aea while not displaying a receipt ticket in the manner required" I had thought I didn't need a ticket after 6.00pm in the City - apparently they've changed the revenue gathering rules and it is now 8.00 or 8.30pm!! That baby was issued while I was in the Courtney Arms at the Wellington BE meet and greet!!

Food ...... depends what you eat - in-shell prawns are currently $9.95/kilo, fresh green-lipped mussels $2.95/kilo, smoked salmon can be had for $9.95/300g, fresh salmon for $22-18/kilo, rump steak under $10/kilo, fresh asparagus $5.95/kilo - a loaf of sliced bread 95c - $3.00, reasonable bacon $8/700g, dozen freerange eggs $6 (don't even think about buying battery eggs!), reasonable edam/cheddar type cheese $8/750g, 3L half-fat milk under $5
Perfect answer thx
Old Dec 30th 2006, 8:43 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

We live on the North Shore in Auckland and our recycle bin is included in our rates - $1600 per year, although if you're renting they're included in your rent. Water charge is around $35 quarterly - again included in rent. There are two of us and groceries cost around $180-$200 per week. Have a look here - www.foodtown.co.nz Hubby's got a company car and fuel card so day to day driving doesn't cost him anything but he did buy an old run around and that cost $150 to insure for the year.

Speeding fines - if you're caught on camera = $80; if you're actually stopped = $120. Just had to pay the latter yesterday for my darling husband
Old Dec 31st 2006, 12:43 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Batty
We live on the North Shore in Auckland and our recycle bin is included in our rates - $1600 per year, although if you're renting they're included in your rent. Water charge is around $35 quarterly - again included in rent. There are two of us and groceries cost around $180-$200 per week. Have a look here - www.foodtown.co.nz Hubby's got a company car and fuel card so day to day driving doesn't cost him anything but he did buy an old run around and that cost $150 to insure for the year.

Speeding fines - if you're caught on camera = $80; if you're actually stopped = $120. Just had to pay the latter yesterday for my darling husband
Thx batty, bad luck with the fine, I was caught by camera driving from welly to auckland in a rental and the police tracked me down to the UK, THATS dedication!!! You could even pay online! Can't imagine the Brit police doing the same. Had to pay cos I'm back this feb and didn't want any hassle renting again
Old Dec 31st 2006, 1:52 am
BE Enthusiast

cottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to allcottageinthesky is a name known to all

Perfect answer thx
You're welcome! Have a Happy New Year

Hosing it down in Wellington at the moment, with a cold southerly, so a damp/cold start to 2007 here
Old Dec 31st 2006, 4:43 pm
Actually just Adie

Jac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of lightJac&Adie is a glorious beacon of light

Thx batty, bad luck with the fine, I was caught by camera driving from welly to auckland in a rental and the police tracked me down to the UK, THATS dedication!!! You could even pay online! Can't imagine the Brit police doing the same. Had to pay cos I'm back this feb and didn't want any hassle renting again
He He I had one, caught by a cop at the road side, although not stopped. Had a nasty supprise when I dropped the camper of tho. $120 dollars thank you very much.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.