Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living questionnaire

Cost of living questionnaire

Old Aug 7th 2013, 6:04 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living questionnaire

TL - it went ok, thanks. Just waiting for a response which is due in the middle of next week.
Old Aug 7th 2013, 8:01 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by TommyLuck
Quite what some peoples perception of how much "one small trailer load" is from another is astounding.
What astounds me the most is that the organic collection happens every year, yet the accumulated rubbish still looks like it has already been at the dump or should have been thrown out at least ten years ago.

As for the vast quantities, with all the subdivided properties, it's hard to tell how many houses worth of rubbish there are. Most places may appear as a single house from the roadside yet may have 2, 3 or more properties tacked onto the back down the drive.
Old Aug 8th 2013, 9:22 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
TL - it went ok, thanks. Just waiting for a response which is due in the middle of next week.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 4:57 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Are you for real? It is such a kiwi thing to do to oversell Nz and defend its high cost of living. I was told it is a psycological condition called GroupThink -(you can look this up on Wikipedia) Why would a brit who is used to the pub culture want to sit at home like a lonely kiwi drinking a cheap bottle of $9 wine? Yuck! You can quote what prices are on special for sure but its not just food - what about the cost of going to the dentist - $90 to look at your teeth, and another $90 for them to be cleaned. I got an earplug stuck in my ear in the middle of the night and had to pay $70 as it was afterhours clinic and normal doctor fee is $35 for a GP visit. If you go to the doctor and the medication does not work -(such as the wrong antibiotic ) and you have to go back a few days later you will pay another $35 for the second visit. I paid $3000 to have 2 x wisdom teeth removed recently - In the Uk my cousin had this done free under the NHS when they got infected. And I won't mention house prices, leaky house syndrome, rates, and the new unitary plan for Auckland which involves removing heritage buildings and replacing them with 18-story apartment blocks in heritage suburbs in Mt Eden. But each to their own I guess.
I'm with you. Last experience near a GP; less than 5 minute chat about mammographies and they wanted $40.00. Obscene. I never paid it, explained why and left the country.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 5:07 pm
Forum Regular

Caryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to allCaryatid is a name known to all

Originally Posted by shocked kiwi
Are you for real? It is such a kiwi thing to do to oversell Nz and defend its high cost of living. I was told it is a psycological condition called GroupThink -(you can look this up on Wikipedia) Why would a brit who is used to the pub culture want to sit at home like a lonely kiwi drinking a cheap bottle of $9 wine? Yuck! You can quote what prices are on special for sure but its not just food - what about the cost of going to the dentist - $90 to look at your teeth, and another $90 for them to be cleaned. I got an earplug stuck in my ear in the middle of the night and had to pay $70 as it was afterhours clinic and normal doctor fee is $35 for a GP visit. If you go to the doctor and the medication does not work -(such as the wrong antibiotic ) and you have to go back a few days later you will pay another $35 for the second visit. I paid $3000 to have 2 x wisdom teeth removed recently - In the Uk my cousin had this done free under the NHS when they got infected. And I won't mention house prices, leaky house syndrome, rates, and the new unitary plan for Auckland which involves removing heritage buildings and replacing them with 18-story apartment blocks in heritage suburbs in Mt Eden. But each to their own I guess.
While goods are likely to be expensive to NZ due to being imported or because of economies of scale due to population I always felt that shopowners were exagerating their mark ups and basically ripping everyone off. No idea of a win/win scenario. My mother had little respect for NZ shopowners because of this.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 9:08 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caryatid
While goods are likely to be expensive to NZ due to being imported or because of economies of scale due to population I always felt that shopowners were exagerating their mark ups and basically ripping everyone off. No idea of a win/win scenario. My mother had little respect for NZ shopowners because of this.
What I dont understand is how can my sister purchase NZ lamb in the UK for cheaper than we can get it here? I think the cost of shipping excuse is a load of rubbish. I can buy clothing from M&S and even if I do get charged for shipping I still pay less than here.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 9:41 pm
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by pippalonghorn
What I dont understand is how can my sister purchase NZ lamb in the UK for cheaper than we can get it here? I think the cost of shipping excuse is a load of rubbish. I can buy clothing from M&S and even if I do get charged for shipping I still pay less than here.
The reasons whys and wherefores have been done to death. But here we go again.

You'll also find NZ wine is often cheaper in the UK than it is in NZ. You have to consider the market

It's largely down the economies of scale as well as shipping costs.

Let's use M&S as an example;

When we expats buy online from M&S, or wherever, those goods are being targeted at a UK market. So there is a shed load of stock. The population of the UK is 15 times what the population is of NZ and therefore M&S will buy their materials, good and labour for making their wares en masse.

If we look on a wider scale M&S actually operate Europe-wide so their target market is actually more than the population of the UK.

We are talking millions of extra customers. In fact I'd wager the customer base of a company like M&S is more than the population of NZ.

If we apply this to the supermarket, selling Lamb - pretty much everyone in the UK is a customer to at least one supermarket. Of 65 million a reasonable percentage will eat lamb - again we have millions of potential consumers for lamb.

Therefore Tesco, for example, might feasibly buy more lamb than NZ can eat and as it's is buying and shipping it in bulk therefore the per unit or per kilo cost is pretty miniscule - economies of scale.

Given or remote location on earth and the fact we are nowhere near anywhere else in NZ it just isn't predent for any business owner to buy anything in the bulk that they can in the UK the EU or the USA.

That business owner risks stock hanging around for ages that may never sell, certainly if we're talk about food, which perishes and will never be any good.

Even if we take Australia in to account we're talking 30 million people spread over a vast area, compared to twice as many Brits crammed in to a space that's a small proportion of the size of Australasia.

Whilst I have no doubt there are rip off merchants in NZ, many honest business owners are selling at a price with a normal margin attached so they can cater to their customers and stay in business.

On the lamb front, whilst it might be slightly more expensive in NZ. ?Think about it;

You're paying for a product that hasn't travelled across the world in commercial flying fridge-freezers.

You are paying for a superior product.
Old Oct 28th 2013, 10:44 pm
Looking for my marbles.

pippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond reputepippalonghorn has a reputation beyond repute

My sister is a chef and says the quality of NZ lamb is excellent. Still not convinced with the explanations. That does not explain the cost of milk. But everyone has their own opinions. Opinions also depend on how financially well off one is. The less well off are effected more by prices.

I think the cost of living varies so much from person to person. That's why these threads are hard to answer.

Last edited by pippalonghorn; Oct 28th 2013 at 11:45 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2013, 12:01 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
It's pretty easy to work out the averages expected for the regular stuff, it's the big ticket, unplanned and unexpected stuff that knocks you sideways when you're trying to live within your means. Whatever figures you come up with, add some massive contingencies, cos sh1t always happens and stuff for the house costs a fortune.
Hell, yes- and if you've got kids, it's likely that a fair few of those big-ticket, unplanned things come from them and their needs/wants. My ten year old came home last week beyond excited at the just-announced school trip to New Caledonia next year. It turns out I only need to sell both kidneys to fund this

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
For the ladies, the hairdressers is another one I hadn't factored.
Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Cost of haircut update:

I've just come back from the hairdresser. A dry cut cost me NZD25. That's about twelve pounds fifty. Like I said, I live in the provinces where things are supposed to be cheaper.
I can better that. The last two hair cuts I've had have been really disappointing, and the most recent one was here in NZ. I love going to the hairdresser here cos you get a massage and mine uses all lovely special shampoos and it's such a nice pamper- but when I got home I realised I'd paid $90 for my hair to look pretty much the same. A few weeks later I decided to just have a wee go myself, thinking if it went tits-up I'd tie it up and return to the hairdresser. I like it choppy with chipped layers and as it turns out this was pretty easy to do. I promptly took myself out for breakfast at a quarter of the cost of hairdresser. Result. And actually quite good fun- not something I've ever really thought of doing myself, so another thing to add to the list of new stuff I've tried in NZ