Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Old Apr 15th 2016, 11:00 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living in NZ vs OZ

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
In latest breaking news they were asking $5.29 for teeny punnet of cherry tomatoes tonight.

I can't stand tomatoes unless they are cooked into a mush with tasty ingredients so not a product I buy very often, however I must start growing my own and start selling them for $$$ next year
Old Apr 15th 2016, 11:17 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

In latest breaking news they were asking $5.29 for teeny punnet of cherry tomatoes tonight.
Surely it would make sense for people to grow their own then. You don't even need a garden and they are so easy to grow. $5.29 does sound like a joke. Checked here and they cost 39c this week for 250g.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 12:05 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Moses2013
$5.29 does sound like a joke. Checked here and they cost 39c this week for 250g.
That was at Pack n Save - they are quite a bit more elsewhere, even in full summer peak season the best price I have seen is 2 x 250g punnets for $5.

tomato - countdown.co.nz

Even in this so called sub-tropical paradise the tomato plants start to wither and die back at the first nip of Autumn air - the same as they do in the UK. I guess if you had a greenhouse it might be possible to extend the season but still don't think I could be fagged grappling around in the undergrowth when you get home from work in the dark and would worry about the likelihood of greenhouse being relocated to next door neighbours during extra windy days.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 1:18 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Moses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond reputeMoses2013 has a reputation beyond repute

That was at Pack n Save - they are quite a bit more elsewhere, even in full summer peak season the best price I have seen is 2 x 250g punnets for $5.

tomato - countdown.co.nz

Even in this so called sub-tropical paradise the tomato plants start to wither and die back at the first nip of Autumn air - the same as they do in the UK. I guess if you had a greenhouse it might be possible to extend the season but still don't think I could be fagged grappling around in the undergrowth when you get home from work in the dark and would worry about the likelihood of greenhouse being relocated to next door neighbours during extra windy days.

Well, many people just have them by the window in winter if there is no space for a green house, or they don't have a conservatory. We always get windy days in winter, but even our neighbours Polytunnel is still standing.
Old Apr 15th 2016, 9:03 pm
Life is what YOU make it.

Stormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond reputeStormer999 has a reputation beyond repute

Still picking nice red fruit off our tom plants. In a couple of weeks we dig up the whole plants with green fruit still on and suspend the plants roots and all next to the windows in the garage and feed off the ripening toms as needed.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 3:16 am
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Stormer999
Still picking nice red fruit off our tom plants. In a couple of weeks we dig up the whole plants with green fruit still on and suspend the plants roots and all next to the windows in the garage and feed off the ripening toms as needed.
Picked the last ones this week - I find it helps to have one flush, cut the plant back and feed again and you get a second crop. Cherry tomatoes are easy to grow inside - I used to do it in my bay window in the UK.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 9:45 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Not really wishing to add anymore to the Great Tomato Debate of 2016 but I feel compelled to say that this is not the UK and things are different; we don't generally have surfeit of bay windows in NZ and for the most part the 'windowsills' that we do have lack a certain kind of depth required to house a plant pot.

Most people have enough issues trying to deter damp and mould from their homes and all advice on how to reduce moisture suggests that you should not have plants indoors. As we all know, in most Kiwi homes during winter months it can be colder indoors than it is outside.
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:02 pm
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Not really wishing to add anymore to the Great Tomato Debate of 2016 but I feel compelled to say that this is not the UK and things are different; we don't generally have surfeit of bay windows in NZ and for the most part the 'windowsills' that we do have lack a certain kind of depth required to house a plant pot.

Most people have enough issues trying to deter damp and mould from their homes and all advice on how to reduce moisture suggests that you should not have plants indoors. As we all know, in most Kiwi homes during winter months it can be colder indoors than it is outside.
Must be about time to talk sausages and the inability to locate a decent one!
Old Apr 16th 2016, 10:19 pm
jmh
BE Forum Addict

jmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond reputejmh has a reputation beyond repute

At the end of the day if saving money is your thing, then why are buying cherry tomatoes? Yesterday in packnsave, Cherry tomatoes $4.99 250g, same price for 1kg of normal tomatoes.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 3:26 am
Banned

Dott. is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Buzzy--Bee
Not clear about exactly what question you are asking but I just spent 3 weeks in NZ at Easter and found most things very expensive compared to Aus.

eg... Petrol twice as much in NZ, fruit and veg up to 7 times as much in NZ, take away pizza twice as much in NZ.

Ice cream was cheaper in NZ as were cinema tickets.

HTH

BB
I too have spent some time over there recently and was shocked at the prices. I think people forget when they're making comparisons to Australian highstreet stores that we also have an Aldi in most places, and Costco in the major centres. I paid just over a dollar for petrol at the latter this weekend.

I know people often convert Australian dollars into NZ but forget the wages are higher in Australia. Usually doing a 1 for 1 conversion gives you a better indication about spending ability.

Hope that helps the OP.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 5:40 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Must be about time to talk sausages and the inability to locate a decent one!
Planning ahead. I've just bought a mincer with a sausage maker attachment from Lidl.

So (assuming I manage to get the whole thing to work) I will have no reason to complain about the sausages wherever I am.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 7:09 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
Planning ahead. I've just bought a mincer with a sausage maker attachment from Lidl.

So (assuming I manage to get the whole thing to work) I will have no reason to complain about the sausages wherever I am.
Take it you'll be investing in a gun and a pig dog then.
Old Apr 17th 2016, 11:27 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

So Woolworths Australia is classified a high end store? Lol.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 8:09 pm
Banned

Dott. is an unknown quantity at this point

Really? I'm more of a Coles girl myself because they do British (green) bacon though I do like the Aldi specials too.
Old Apr 18th 2016, 11:36 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
So Woolworths Australia is classified a high end store? Lol.
It's relatively expensive and certainly a bit higher end than New World in NZ, tho of course it varies from store to store.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.