Reload this Page >

Cost of living - NZ - on a teachers salary of $55K approx

Cost of living - NZ - on a teachers salary of $55K approx

Old Apr 18th 2010, 9:12 pm
Just Joined

HUFC1908 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living - NZ - on a teachers salary of $55K approx

Howdo

Just looking if any of you can help me out. I'm tempted to apply for a few jobs in NZ. (Auckland and Wellington) and am after advice of cost of living. I've read a lot of mixed views on the cost of living in NZ so have some concerns. I'm married with a 4 month old son and 2 cats. As I will be the only person working, what kind of salary is reasonable to manage comfortably? We aren't big on luxury and enjoy simple things in life so just the usual costs really. running 1 car, eating out once or twice a month etc.

If it helps I'm a school teacher and have read the average salary is around NZ$55000, NZ$60000. If any teachers have any advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
Old Apr 18th 2010, 10:06 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - NZ

Originally Posted by HUFC1908 View Post
Howdo

Just looking if any of you can help me out. I'm tempted to apply for a few jobs in NZ. (Auckland and Wellington) and am after advice of cost of living. I've read a lot of mixed views on the cost of living in NZ so have some concerns. I'm married with a 4 month old son and 2 cats. As I will be the only person working, what kind of salary is reasonable to manage comfortably? We aren't big on luxury and enjoy simple things in life so just the usual costs really. running 1 car, eating out once or twice a month etc.

If it helps I'm a school teacher and have read the average salary is around NZ$55000, NZ$60000. If any teachers have any advice it would be much appreciated.

Cheers
In either of those 2 locations on the figures you have given and family contents you would stuggle I think on one salary..unless you were rent or mortgage free. I think anywhere infact might be a bit tricky. But it could be done as I am sure there are others like you doing just that..but it would be major penny watching. There are lots of threads on the cost of living have a look on the search tool. Good luck.
Old Apr 18th 2010, 11:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Getting by on that amount would be pretty hard.
Its easy to say we're arent big on luxury but you need some
even if they are little ones in yiour life.
The initial period after the move is usually the most difficult
both finacially and emotionally. Trying to get through that with
very little money would take its toll and possibly taint your view
of NZ.
Add to that the lower standards in housing, lack of choice and high cost of living
and i think, while there is every chance for a successful move it would probably end in tears.

Last edited by Justcol; Apr 18th 2010 at 11:22 pm.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:31 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

With the previous replies here, it does depend on what your accomodation costs are. If I was here (Auckland) with no rent/mortgage then 60k would probably be at a squeeze ok - nothing fancy , just ok - as it is we both work on just short of double that with 2 kids and a >2k/month rental and there never seems to be much if anything left at the end of the month and we don't go mad
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bga View Post
With the previous replies here, it does depend on what your accomodation costs are. If I was here (Auckland) with no rent/mortgage then 60k would probably be at a squeeze ok - nothing fancy , just ok - as it is we both work on just short of double that with 2 kids and a >2k/month rental and there never seems to be much if anything left at the end of the month and we don't go mad
We get through well over $80k p/a with no mortgage in Palmy. 3 kids (and no private school!!) and no other debt to service either. And I am a canny shopper with few if any expensive tastes..it just all goes!!
Old Apr 19th 2010, 2:59 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Howdo

Cheers
Don't let people put you off we get $80,000 p a and have a mortgage 2 teenagers! We eat out a few times a week I have sky, broadband we make trips to Auckland, Wellington and palmy regular oh and we go to cinema I have my hair done regular, buy clothes for myself and daughters and we like fashion and don't live in joggers! Oh and have been to dentist regular and pretty much have a better lifestyle than we did in the Uk.
And now I have a job are saving up for trip to oz

Last edited by love30stm; Apr 19th 2010 at 3:02 am.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 3:03 am

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Howdo

Cheers
And i meet friends for brunch a couple of times a week and dont look for bargains shopping
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:01 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by love30stm View Post
Don't let people put you off
I don't think anyone's trying to put anyone off, advice was sought and given thats all - good luck in what you decide to do HUFC1908 ,
looks like you manage your money better than me love30stm - good luck to ya

Pound for Pound even with the crappy exchange rate I reckon our cash goes further here than it ever did back home, i basically think that if I lived in the biggest city in the UK as i live in the biggest in NZ how would I fair, no contest it does go further here (I could never afford to live in London , not that I ever wanted to) , and out of the metropolis I would think it goes even further
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:08 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by bga View Post
I don't think anyone's trying to put anyone off, advice was sought and given thats all - good luck in what you decide to do HUFC1908 ,
looks like you manage your money better than me love30stm - good luck to ya

Pound for Pound even with the crappy exchange rate I reckon our cash goes further here than it ever did back home, i basically think that if I lived in the biggest city in the UK as i live in the biggest in NZ how would I fair, no contest it does go further here (I could never afford to live in London , not that I ever wanted to) , and out of the metropolis I would think it goes even further
Exactly, this isn't about putting people off, it's about reality. It would be unwise for those who have experienced living here putting any spin on what finances are or are not. Point is the OP will be on 60k not 80k. So alas it will be tight for them which ever way you look at it unless they are rent or mortgage free. As I said its doable but it will be a stretch.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:49 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute

......and so you two, once again ,must beg to differ.

Is anyone out there prepared to give hard figures? That's what the OP really needs IMVHO.

I'll tweak your title for you HUFC1908 so it will maybe attract in more answers from teachers and also maybe more from some that actually do live in Auckland or Wellington..

FWIW it is a bit tough for anyone to state whether you would struggle or not on $55K pa.

It will all depend on several factors.

Location in NZ - some areas are much cheaper to live in than others
Your personal lifestyle expectations
How debt /mortgage free you can be.

Anyway. I'll tweak the title to attract more passers by . Let's get a wide range of views and costs in if we can.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 4:51 am
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living - NZ - on a teachers salary of $55K approx

I'll add into this thread that I have asked the Gods of BE to look into us having our own Cost of Living Calculator as I feel this would be a helpful tool for loads of us.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 5:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cost of living - NZ

Originally Posted by BEVS View Post
Location in NZ - some areas are much cheaper to live in than others
Your personal lifestyle expectations
How debt /mortgage free you can be.
Agreed! (for the first and last time I hope BEVS) Live somewhere rural or in a small town, don't have kids and own your house then this could be quite sufficient to survive.

I still benchmark $100k/year per person outside of Auckland or Wanaka as being about the thresh hold where you can easily afford a nice 3 bedroom house, new car every 3 years, a new flat screen and a foreign holiday once a year (and of course gifts/occasional romancing for you other half if you so feel inclined). This for me is truly what I’d define as “acceptable” living standard in other countries so I’m applying the same standard to New Zealand and taking an engineers estimate at the wage required.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 6:35 am
Somewhere

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
Agreed! (for the first and last time I hope BEVS) .
It was only a matter of time.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:30 am
Forum Regular

educateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of living - NZ - on a teachers salary of $55K approx

Being a teacher near Aucland I would love to help out with an answer but, not having been here long, don't feel I can help.

We have one teacher salary supporting a wife and 2 kids. Half of my income goes on rent and so far what is left seems to last until the next pay day. I really enjoy the fortnightly pay cycle here.

I don't think I could build any sort of future on this level of 'take home' and am relying on our house back home to sell so that we can buy one here (mortgage free?). Then I feel we will be a lot better off.
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:54 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic View Post
Agreed! (for the first and last time I hope BEVS) Live somewhere rural or in a small town, don't have kids and own your house then this could be quite sufficient to survive.

I still benchmark $100k/year per person outside of Auckland or Wanaka as being about the thresh hold where you can easily afford a nice 3 bedroom house, new car every 3 years, a new flat screen and a foreign holiday once a year (and of course gifts/occasional romancing for you other half if you so feel inclined). This for me is truly what I’d define as “acceptable” living standard in other countries so I’m applying the same standard to New Zealand and taking an engineers estimate at the wage required.
To be absolutely fair though, a teacher won't be on a $100,000 salary unless they become a Principal so I am not sure how much $100k as a threshold is a good comparison.

And teachers do migrate here. $55,000 isn't a bad salary for a teacher. But it won't be easy to support a family on, no.

I don't disagree with you btw. I'm just not sure it's necessarily equatable if a teacher wouldn't be on that kind of salary anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.