Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

cost of living nz - some figures

cost of living nz - some figures

Old Jun 30th 2008, 6:58 pm
Account Closed

Stoof is an unknown quantity at this point
Default cost of living nz - some figures

to get an idea of what income we're going to need in nz, i've tried to collate as many details as i can from the last 12 months of posts on cost of living (i've no doubt i've missed some!)...

from the bits i've pulled together, i've put together a VERY BASIC doc with these details in - which is attached here in case it's any use to anyone else

i guess it's already out of date really as prices are going up so much so quickly, but hopefully it might save someone else the couple of nights searching through the threads!

i've worked out pcm figures from those that were given, and i've rounded up or down to the nearest $5...

i've worked out the pcm total for those figures i've collated, and also for the nz average figures, as well as the monthly average from the 'spreadsheet queen' dlmckay!! so there are three average figures to give an idea... the details of the nz average figures are also included (drugs = illicit drugs btw, not prescription!) i've listed the nz av figures separately as the categories they use didn't specify separately for leccy etc... you'll see there's lots of missing info, but hopefully there might be enough to be helpful?!

i've also included a key of household details for those that i've used.

hope all that makes sense and might be of some use to someone... thanks to everyone that helped me out with stuff!

any comments or additions or anything i've missed appreciated!

(we're both definately going to need to work! ho hum, my dream of raising kids, baking and tending a few chooks is gone then! never mind!)
Attached Files
File Type: xls
COL.xls (70.0 KB, 340 views)
Old Jul 1st 2008, 9:47 am
Forum Regular

eddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to alleddie_nz is a name known to all
Default Re: cost of living nz - some figures

Remember thats after tax

put some cells into show the calculations for one person to earn that amount before tax or two people to earn that amount..

Thats a single income or 96K from my cals or two people earning 40ish

Oh yeah and you have no money towards large purchases, Tv, computers, flights holidays.
Old Jul 1st 2008, 10:24 am
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all
Default Re: cost of living nz - some figures

Hey stoof,

Thx for the info. I have kinda modded it for us lol Like Eddie said i have added other expenses such as credit card payments, hairdressers (mine costs £70 every month or 2! :curse, kids activities (dancing etc) - not to forget... holidays and nights out!

I think on these calculations we would be ok with hubby earning $70k and me earning about $30k. At least there would be a little left over for other stuff. So i would say a gross income of £100k would cover all expenses.

This is good tho, if you want to work out if your salary is going to stretch and if things are going to be financially viable.

C xxx