Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living NZ against Uk

Cost of living NZ against Uk

Old Jan 16th 2009, 10:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of
Default Cost of living NZ against Uk

What is the cost of living NZ against Uk?

Can anybody give me some information/experiences?
Old Jan 17th 2009, 2:40 am
Account Closed

Dustybin is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living NZ against Uk

You spend what you make....

so about the same for me...
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:13 am
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

i find food cheaper than the uk, just depends on what you earn as to what you can affoard i guess...

caz
Old Jan 17th 2009, 4:36 am
BE Forum Addict

Margaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond reputeMargaret Parkinson has a reputation beyond repute

We are here on holiday so of course I am converting all time and I find the food prices on a par to the UK. The only thing is wages are lower here so you will have to cut your coat according to the cloth.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:57 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Most things are almost exactly the same, food prices seem to follow the $/Pound exchange rate for some bizarre reason
Things that you can get cheaper in the UK: New Zealand Lamb, Wine & Fruit.
Electricity rates are now cheaper, but i'm sure the meters are clocked up 3 x as fast here, we use nowhere near as many electrical items here as we used to in the UK & our monthly bill is always twice+ as it was in the UK

It can be expensive in the winter, doubling up on elec. & buying firewood etc.

Overall it would be easier if our wages were a 1/3 or more higher.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 6:37 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mickey_d
Most things are almost exactly the same, food prices seem to follow the $/Pound exchange rate for some bizarre reason
Things that you can get cheaper in the UK: New Zealand Lamb, Wine & Fruit.
Electricity rates are now cheaper, but i'm sure the meters are clocked up 3 x as fast here, we use nowhere near as many electrical items here as we used to in the UK & our monthly bill is always twice+ as it was in the UK

It can be expensive in the winter, doubling up on elec. & buying firewood etc.

Overall it would be easier if our wages were a 1/3 or more higher.

Generally we find life less expensive here..but we all have different needs and wants. We had a small mortgage in the UK of about 35k GBP. We earned in the region of 45k GBP (= $121k at todays exchange rat), here whilst we have no mortgage we earn only about $80k and we certainly feel way better off. We live in a far better neighbourhood, have mountain views and want for nothing (apart from the Porsche and the 40 foot Bayliner). So yes I think the cost of living in NZ is generally cheaper.
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:12 pm
BE Enthusiast

CarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond reputeCarolineSwan has a reputation beyond repute

It can depend on where in the country you are. i saw something here in np that i fancied for lucy and it cost 12 dollars while in papamoa the same thing in same shop in boxing day sales was 17 dollars, which to me is a big mark up on something that costs so little. there is a site somewhere and it tells you where dearest tolive and cheapest , if i find it i will post for you.. def cheaper where i am

caz
Old Jan 17th 2009, 7:38 pm
BE Enthusiast

eurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud ofeurotramp has much to be proud of

Thanks for the info so far..we live in a London suburb ..everything is expensive here

We could bring about £ 200.000 with us..that would sort the house out

With no or very small mortgage ..and a job in IT money should not be a problem...so far it is just an crazy idea anyhow. Were would be a better place to live and get a job with a degree in IT..Christchurch or Wellington? I did read that Wellington was nr.1 to live with family ..we have two daughter from 11 and 14.
Hubbys sister lives in NZ.

I just feel I don't want to live here any more
Old Jan 17th 2009, 9:36 pm
Enjoying retirement

NakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to beholdNakiMan is a splendid one to behold

A lot depends on where you need to live for work reasons. Luckily , being retired we can "afford" to live in a country area, although we're on a main road about half an hour from the nearest city, so its not that remote.

We live in a 4 bed house on half an acre so these numbers relate to that

Similar house prices here - $175,000 to $200,000 ($210,000 with a pool)
Rates - $135 a month including water and sewage
Electricity - $140 a month averaged out over the year
Gas - Zero (no gas!)
Heating - $140 a YEAR (for firewood - very mild climate!)
Phone including broadband - $110 a month (fixed charge, unlimited calls)
Groceries, fruit and veg - $700 a month for two adults
Cars - Generally cheaper than UK, especially japanese imports
Petrol - Currently $1.40 a liter

Divide these numbers by 2.70 to get some idea of the sterling equivilent

Hope this helps
Old Jan 17th 2009, 10:51 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by carolineshewan
It can depend on where in the country you are. i saw something here in np that i fancied for lucy and it cost 12 dollars while in papamoa the same thing in same shop in boxing day sales was 17 dollars, which to me is a big mark up on something that costs so little. there is a site somewhere and it tells you where dearest tolive and cheapest , if i find it i will post for you.. def cheaper where i am

caz
I guess you are right there..I reckon Palmy too is a verrrrrrrrrrrry cheap place to live..its not chique or desirable thus stuff costs less..much more home for your money. If you can do without the beach and be happy somewhere most cannot be happy..you've got it made!! I came from such a shitty area ANYTHING was a huge improvement..thus Palmy is our nirvana!!!!
Old Jan 17th 2009, 11:55 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Genesis
I guess you are right there..I reckon Palmy too is a verrrrrrrrrrrry cheap place to live..its not chique or desirable thus stuff costs less..much more home for your money. If you can do without the beach and be happy somewhere most cannot be happy..you've got it made!! I came from such a shitty area ANYTHING was a huge improvement..thus Palmy is our nirvana!!!!
I have never been to Palmy but i know debs loves it, so must be nice. The thing is i dont think NP is shabby or anything, yea there are some horrible old wooden houses but they are everywhere .. there are a good few lovely beaches even though they have black sand , but to be honest i wouldnt swap all the white sand in the world for what we have here. As you say Genisis its all about what makes you happy and finding that place .. and sometimes not about the costs etc although i know they always a factor when looking for a house etc.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 7:44 am
Forum Regular

turkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of lightturkeys is a glorious beacon of light

You should probably factor in health care costs too.
Usually $60 per doctor's visit, until you get residency. I tend to save up three ailments per visit!

I was lucky enough to have a NHS dentist in the UK too, so those costs have been a new thing for me here. Though the dentist I have settled with is far superior to the ones I have used before. The doctor too is great and actually asks about general wellbeing and listens properly.

I have also found that prescription fees are not uniform from chemist to chemist strangely, in short for healthcare now I have started treating it like any other service and ringing around for 'good deals'. sounds weird but thats what I do..

if you have great teeth and are never ill, ignore all of the above
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:35 pm
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by turkeys
You should probably factor in health care costs too.
Usually $60 per doctor's visit, until you get residency. I tend to save up three ailments per visit!

I was lucky enough to have a NHS dentist in the UK too, so those costs have been a new thing for me here. Though the dentist I have settled with is far superior to the ones I have used before. The doctor too is great and actually asks about general wellbeing and listens properly.

I have also found that prescription fees are not uniform from chemist to chemist strangely, in short for healthcare now I have started treating it like any other service and ringing around for 'good deals'. sounds weird but thats what I do..

if you have great teeth and are never ill, ignore all of the above

If your kids have crooked teeth, get it sorted before you come, orthodontist fees are scary
Old Jan 18th 2009, 9:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Short answer I know but am a bit pushed for time at the mo.

We came from Bournemouth to outside of Nelson.

Overall it is more expensive to live in NZ.
Old Jan 18th 2009, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by eurotramp
Thanks for the info so far..we live in a London suburb ..everything is expensive here

We could bring about £ 200.000 with us..that would sort the house out

With no or very small mortgage ..and a job in IT money should not be a problem...so far it is just an crazy idea anyhow. Were would be a better place to live and get a job with a degree in IT..Christchurch or Wellington? I did read that Wellington was nr.1 to live with family ..we have two daughter from 11 and 14.
Hubbys sister lives in NZ.

I just feel I don't want to live here any more
if you come out with £200k and a good job to go to you should be very comfortable in NZ. I think that the south island is better personally but each to their own... there are some very nice places in the north island as well.
Good luck with your decision

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.