British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   The cost of Living in NZ? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-living-nz-735399/)

whitesand Oct 29th 2011 6:10 am

Re: The cost of Living in NZ?

Nah, I reckon the French know they have the best food, great culture, great scenery, good weather and fab wine. So they stay put!

welshrgeordie Oct 29th 2011 6:28 am

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 9702358)
Nah, I reckon the French know they have the best food, great culture, great scenery, good weather and fab wine. So they stay put!

Well I for 1 love a good heated debate.....especially with a bit of pizza.... and a glass of plonk :-)

whitesand Oct 29th 2011 6:56 am

Would that be Kiwi plonk!

BEVS Oct 29th 2011 7:11 am

It will be the best plonk for the least amount of NZD on special.

lardyl Oct 29th 2011 8:10 am

Originally Posted by BEVS (Post 9702406)
It will be the best plonk for the least amount of NZD on special.

pizza from dominos on superspecial with heaps of vouchers.
One of the things that is cheaper in NZ than the UK - probably due to the slave wages paid.

Thanks Mr Key, now that these slaves are to be paid at super minimum wage for 6 months not 200 hours - trust your mates can make more dosh out of the poor sods. :rolleyes:

lardyl Oct 29th 2011 8:30 am

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 9702358)

Maybe they are where they want to be cause they're all immigrants?
Wikiquotes have plenty along the lines of:
The French people were born of a Christian mother and an unknown father... I say unknown father because France is a nation of immigrants and always has been.

And the French themslves say
À chaque oiseau son nid est beau.
Every bird thinks his nest the finest - are some people on here actually French?

sheene Oct 29th 2011 8:37 am

Originally Posted by lardyl (Post 9702484)
Maybe they are where they want to be cause they're all immigrants?
Wikiquotes have plenty along the lines of:
The French people were born of a Christian mother and an unknown father... I say unknown father because France is a nation of immigrants and always has been.

And the French themslves say
À chaque oiseau son nid est beau.
Every bird thinks his nest the finest - are some people on here actually French?

Metisse - the UK heritage.

welshrgeordie Oct 29th 2011 10:04 am

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 9702396)
Would that be Kiwi plonk!

any i'm really not fussy ...what ever is on special at tesco's but i am partial to a nice rijoca .....

Woodlea Oct 29th 2011 10:37 am

Originally Posted by whitesand (Post 9701958)
You never get many French moving from France. Why do you think that is?

Because they have a summer? I would never have left Scotland if it had some decent weather rather than the perpetual cloud!
The UK is the best place in the world (IMHO) apart from the weather and the crowds and all the other crap things about it - like litter! Litter in NZ stands out as it is rare.
By-the-way, I remember travelling through France as a child in the holidays and being warned to watch out in the lay-bys for the crap, as the French have a penchant for crapping by the side of the road!
Which brings me nicely on to the public toilets in NZ, lots of them, always clean and with toilet paper! Bliss!

DC10 Oct 29th 2011 11:23 am

Originally Posted by Woodlea (Post 9702668)
Which brings me nicely on to the public toilets in NZ, lots of them, always clean and with toilet paper! Bliss!

Yes - even in the smallest town! I certainly noticed that when travelling with my English mates over the last month.

I think there should be a compulsory charge for Europeans using NZ public toilets. Only fair.

ExKiwilass Oct 29th 2011 9:13 pm

Hey DC10. I was responding to this, but nice attempt to present another, completely different argument.

I still think 6th largest source country is quite impressive - far more than Germany, Italy for example.

DC10 Oct 30th 2011 2:40 am

Originally Posted by Kiwilass (Post 9703518)
Hey DC10. I was responding to this, but nice attempt to present another, completely different argument.

I still think 6th largest source country is quite impressive - far more than Germany, Italy for example.

Er... so was I

The point is that there really isn't a very big French expat community, certainly compared to Brits abroad.

jmh Oct 30th 2011 4:54 am

Language is probably an issue. They tend to emigrate to French-speaking former colonies.

ExKiwilass Oct 30th 2011 4:28 pm

Originally Posted by jmh (Post 9703942)
Language is probably an issue. They tend to emigrate to French-speaking former colonies.

YEs, this is why Canada is popular. Also they have the right to have their children schooled entirely in french here - paid for by gov't.