Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

cost of living in NZ

cost of living in NZ

Old Oct 28th 2009, 6:54 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of
Default cost of living in NZ

we lived in tauranga, in 07 for seven months, came back because house would not sale, hopefully back next year,

i was only wage earner, take home pay was $700 to $750 a week
rental was $360 food about $140 we could run a car and insure it pay house hold bills and keep things ticking over and we went out every weekend not always spending money, you have to adjust to where ever you are in the world, i think i am worse off in the UK than i would be in NZ, always paying out for some thing,

things happened two quick last time one minute we are here next were in NZ
cant see why most people seem to struggle on $60,000 plus new zealand is a wonderful place to grow old
Old Oct 28th 2009, 7:15 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: cost of living in NZ

I suppose everyone's circumstances are different. If you were on $60,000 but had a mortgage to pay instead of rent then it can make a huge difference as you would also have to pay rates and building insurance and as I suppose is human nature you might want to modernise, redecorate, and have the maintenance costs of your home and garden.

If you were on $60,000 and had children there's another huge expense. School fees/voluntary contributions, exercise books and equipment, school uniforms they're constantly growing out of, packed lunches, clubs and activity fees, sports equipment, extra fuel costs running them round to and from clubs and activities, extra costs for doctors visits, food, toiletries, clothes, shoes, pocket money etc.

I pair of school socks for my DS cost $13 a pair. No choice, that's the required regulation sock for school! When they need at least 3 pairs each and the quality is poor that they end up with holes in after only a couple of weeks wear it is expensive just to keep them in sock! A silly example I know but it all adds up to extra expense. 1 regulation summer blouse for DD is $55 Obviously being sweaty teenagers they need more than 1 blouse.

So that makes a huge dent in what's left and it's not stuff you can go without or find a cheaper alternative.
Old Oct 28th 2009, 8:16 pm
BE Enthusiast

concretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud ofconcretepump has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by TeamEmbo View Post
I suppose everyone's circumstances are different. If you were on $60,000 but had a mortgage to pay instead of rent then it can make a huge difference as you would also have to pay rates and building insurance and as I suppose is human nature you might want to modernise, redecorate, and have the maintenance costs of your home and garden.

If you were on $60,000 and had children there's another huge expense. School fees/voluntary contributions, exercise books and equipment, school uniforms they're constantly growing out of, packed lunches, clubs and activity fees, sports equipment, extra fuel costs running them round to and from clubs and activities, extra costs for doctors visits, food, toiletries, clothes, shoes, pocket money etc.

I pair of school socks for my DS cost $13 a pair. No choice, that's the required regulation sock for school! When they need at least 3 pairs each and the quality is poor that they end up with holes in after only a couple of weeks wear it is expensive just to keep them in sock! A silly example I know but it all adds up to extra expense. 1 regulation summer blouse for DD is $55 Obviously being sweaty teenagers they need more than 1 blouse.

So that makes a huge dent in what's left and it's not stuff you can go without or find a cheaper alternative.
yes i quite understand, but my children are grown up, and there are lots of people in nz who have children the same, and there are couples earning $100,000 a year who say they struggle to live there are people in the uk the same as you, but you are better off summers are longer in nz so you save on heating unless your a Towney i was brought up on a farm with one open fire and a Rayburn in the kitchin and when i worked there kiwis were putting there winter coats on long before it was winter,
and my two oldest children are still living at home 28-and 33
with all that i still think its manageable on $40,000 a year
Old Oct 28th 2009, 9:22 pm
Banned

Madmaxdeux will become famous soon enough

Two words spring to mind

Financial mangement

Some people can cope some people can not and others simply can not accept that it is possible. Keeping up with the Jones and spending without consideration of the consequences.

So you drive a 20 year old car and work collegue who earns the same scoffs at you with the brand spanking new 4wd they buy every three years. They pay as much as a $60,000 for a car you pay no more than $2000 threee years down the line they trade in for another new car and another $20k or so is gone down the toilet. Meanwhile you either have spent $2k on your car keeping it running or you spent $2k on another.

So who has $18,000 more in the pocket?

Or say you got a Job pays you $60k per year and you live in Auckland paying $600 rent per week meanwhile you collegue is working somewhere else earning $45k per year but is only paying $200 rent per week! Who is better off financially?

Financial Mangement some have got it some have not got it or can not see it.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:24 am
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I hope you're not implying me? I have enough problems keeping our heads above water let alone worrying about the Jones's

Our car is 18 years old and the sort of skip on wheels most people wouldn't even look twice at let alone buy but we still needed to take a loan out to buy it.

Having just done a quick calculation, $40,000 a year would pay the mortgage, the kids school costs (fees, books, uniforms, sports stuff) and the car loan and leave nothing for food, fuel, bills, insurance.

We certainly don't have an exravagent lifestyle - nor would I wish for one, which is why I'm very at home and happy in NZ. I don't mind the mend and make do ways. Nor have we come here and bought beyond our means or have a garage full of toys. We have a basic house at the cheap end of town and we live 25km-30km outside the CBD.

We grow our own veg and keep chooks and have enough to pay our way and are happy.

I think everyone's situation is different and different people will have different priorities and I do think it's a tad broadbrush to assume that people that simply can't manage on $40,000 must therefore not be able to do financial management.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:28 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

$40,000 isn't much.

Our receptionist gets paid more than that (not a lot more, but more). Not that it means a lot but when people start looking at various jobs it's helpful to know who gets what.

But I agree with the general sentiment I guess.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:45 am
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

I agree that NZ is a good place to retire to if you have some money behind you and it is possible to live cheaply here, just look at some of the wages that people survive on.

That is clear whenever I venture into "Darby-and-Joan-by-the-Sea", otherwise known as Orewa and hear all those pommie accents coming from a reasonable slice of the over 60s.

Can't abide the smug, "we live on such and such so you must be able to" though, particularly when they are taking the state for all they can get...... or so it would appear.

Then the same people have the audacity to suggest that someone who has come over on a "posting" and feels that Wellington is claustrophobic is "smug" - sheesh.........the hypocracy of it all.........
Old Oct 29th 2009, 12:46 am
Busy Again

bdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of lightbdclayton is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by Kiwiprincess View Post
$40,000 isn't much.

Our receptionist gets paid more than that (not a lot more, but more). Not that it means a lot but when people start looking at various jobs it's helpful to know who gets what.

But I agree with the general sentiment I guess.
your Receptionist is on over 40k per year ? my wife is a nurse working on a acute ward had to study 3 years to get qualified.
Works a three shift system and weekends and bank holidays. How much is she paid ??? 43K. Maybe she would be better of as a receptionist ( no offense)
no wonder there is a shortage of nurses in NZ
Old Oct 29th 2009, 1:03 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Kiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond reputeKiwiprincess has a reputation beyond repute

That's ok. I wondered how to put it without sounding insulting to our receptionist. ("even our receptionist gets paid that")

It's why sometimes when people quote salaries on this site I wonder how often boring old admin jobs are mentioned. Not that they are particularly well paid in general just that $20 an hour for a receptionist position isn't bad.

And, to be fair, the receptionist pay wouldn't increase significantly without changing the job by either going into a PA or EA role or management.

But yeah, 40k itself isn't unusual for a receptionist or basic administration officer in Wellington. Auckland's a bit more I think. I live in Wellington.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 3:17 am
Banned

You might want to remember how much the the minimum wage is in New Zealand and how many people are actually being paid close to that for even skilled jobs. Yet they are expected to get by on such and income and many do! The other flip side to that is not everyone in New Zealand has employment that gives them 40 plus hours a week. No differant to the UK either!

Some people could turn over a $1000 per week but find they have no work for a week or so which is becoming more common as a result of the recession situation over the year that balances out.

No smugness about it everyones circumstances are differant and but implying it is not possible is simply not accepting someone elses circumstances.

You notice I have not bragged about our true income yet? Well I wont because I know that it means very little when one week I could have a stack of work the following nothing. I do know there is a safety cushion to fall back on if the situation warrents it.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:03 am
BE Forum Addict

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bdclayton View Post
your Receptionist is on over 40k per year ? my wife is a nurse working on a acute ward had to study 3 years to get qualified.
Works a three shift system and weekends and bank holidays. How much is she paid ??? 43K. Maybe she would be better of as a receptionist ( no offense)
no wonder there is a shortage of nurses in NZ
I think that's where NZ falls down for so many financially; when skilled jobs and trades only pays $20 to $22 per hour. We may as well all become receptionists, then at least we could be rude to people, read magazines, sit and file our nails and drink coffee all day.

NZ is a very low wage economy and they pay for it in so many other ways, when the brains that are trained here realise they can earn way more doing the same job overseas. Also it creates a false perception, as seen on this forum, that $45k is a decent living wage. John Key was making noises earlier this year and has gone very quiet on ideas of just how NZ will change this in order to be more on par with Australia. I don't see it ever happening, because the ditch is simply too wide and NZ whas to do one hell of a lot of running to catch up.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:13 am
Sleazy Dippin Doodle

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles View Post
I think that's where NZ falls down for so many financially; when skilled jobs and trades only pays $20 to $22 per hour. We may as well all become receptionists, then at least we could be rude to people, read magazines, sit and file our nails and drink coffee all day.

NZ is a very low wage economy and they pay for it in so many other ways, when the brains that are trained here realise they can earn way more doing the same job overseas. Also it creates a false perception, as seen on this forum, that $45k is a decent living wage. John Key was making noises earlier this year and has gone very quiet on ideas of just how NZ will change this in order to be more on par with Australia. I don't see it ever happening, because the ditch is simply too wide and NZ whas to do one hell of a lot of running to catch up.
Migration. He wants to have double the rate of immigration to NZ in (i think) the next ten years.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 9:28 am
Finally mesh free!

Vitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond reputeVitalstatistix has a reputation beyond repute

As a midwife with 10 years of experience plus 3 years of training, I was earning $28/hr until I quit at the end of March this year. My basic salary in the UK prior to leaving in Jan 2007 was approx $38/hr & I was due a pay rise at that time too. Also, I got nearly 7 weeks Annual Leave in the UK as opposed to the 4 weeks in NZ.

Luckily my OH earns a good wage by NZ standards (though less than he was on in the UK & none of the added benefits either). We wouldn't have survived on my salary alone here.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 6:53 pm
Banned

I know of Bus drivers who get paid $24 per hour and others Just $13 so what you say to that? I know of qualified Chefs being offered just $13 per hour and then employers wondering why they have no staff.

Then again I know some people who prefer to be paid a low wage because of the hours they do and other effects it could have on income. It is ok some people sitting in ivory towers saying you should do this or that and thats just not on but those same people have also found those Ivory towers brought down in the last 12 months and dont like the fact they are now swimming with the lower decks they had been finger waving at.

But how low would the rate you would work for?

Your right New Zealand is a low wage economy, You currently have Firefighters on Strike not that you would notice unlike the UK because they are still responding to emergency calls. Even if they did not there are a over 10 times as many Volunteers Unpaid Firefighters available to respond. And why are the Firefighters striking? Because they are undervalued.
Not to mention you St Johns Ambulance crews who are also volunteers.

So once again what would be a fair wage? Not an easy one to answer is it when there are people doing stuff you may regard as dangerous for nothing.

Last edited by Madmaxdeux; Oct 29th 2009 at 6:58 pm.
Old Oct 29th 2009, 7:11 pm
TeamEmbo

We may as well all become receptionists, then at least we could be rude to people, read magazines, sit and file our nails and drink coffee all day.
a common misconception about receptionists A lot of traditionally thought of menial UK admin jobs such as receptionist in NZ also require the job holder to keep the accounts and MYOB payroll along with providing PA/secretarial skills, conference organising, and in some cases cleaning the offices as well as attending to the customers - ie one job I applied for as receptionists also included repairing hearing aids, cleaning wax from clients ears and fitting hearing aids along with all the above tasks! Hardly a run of the mill reception job

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.