Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living.HELP!!!

Cost of living.HELP!!!

Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:22 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living.HELP!!!

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Rubbish. You cannot shop prperly. My house is clean - extremely clean - are you a smoker Rascal?
Sorry but that's very unnecessary and as a non-smoker myself I think somewhat insulting, although I can see what point you are trying to make.

Would $250-$300 really be way off the mark for a family of 4 in the Auckland area? Including toiletries and cleaning products, and also for everything in its entirety for a whole week.

Sorry but I really dislike reading things that I would not imagine civil people saying directly to strangers.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 12:16 pm
Forum Regular

ginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond reputeginaf has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ACOB
Having read so many threads re: cost of living etc, I am having serious doubts as to continue with my application to leave the UK for NZ.One of the reasons to go was so that we could have a better standard of living for us and the two children.Having secured a job earning mid 50K I am concerned as to how far it will go in the Aukland area.I appreciate that it is a beautifull place but thats no good to me if I cant afford to take the children out to see these places and if I am going to sruggle then I may aswell be overdrawn here if it will be the same in NZ.I am pulling my hair out not being able to find out if this wage will be enough to live on.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Hi ACOB, I always write out a list of general expenses that I expect to pay per month:

Rent/ Mortgage payments
Groceries
Bills
Travel (petrol, bus/ train fares)
Children's expenses (school uniforms/ books / after school clubs)
Any other extra's (clothes, trips out etc.)

You can then work out whether your salary will stretch or not.

I am not sure whether you will be bringing any cash out but banks would be reluctant to lend you more than 3.5 - 4x your annual income for a mortgage (if that is what you want). So that would probably be a max loan of around $200,000, have a look at http://www.realenz.co.nz/ to see if you can find any properties in Auckland that you would be happy with.

The one beauty I found with Auckland is that there are lots of things to do with kids for free, the parks are beautifully kept, you have the gorgeous beaches and the schools are good.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 3:08 pm
Sue
BE Co-Founder

Sue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond reputeSue has a reputation beyond repute

If you are planning on renting then you might find the NZ Dept of Housing site helpful. The link below is to the rental section which gives the weekly rent for different areas in NZ.

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/housing/tenan...t%20region.asp

Having read so many threads re: cost of living etc, I am having serious doubts as to continue with my application to leave the UK for NZ.One of the reasons to go was so that we could have a better standard of living for us and the two children.Having secured a job earning mid 50K I am concerned as to how far it will go in the Aukland area.I appreciate that it is a beautifull place but thats no good to me if I cant afford to take the children out to see these places and if I am going to sruggle then I may aswell be overdrawn here if it will be the same in NZ.I am pulling my hair out not being able to find out if this wage will be enough to live on.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:21 pm
Just Joined

ACOB is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Sue
If you are planning on renting then you might find the NZ Dept of Housing site helpful. The link below is to the rental section which gives the weekly rent for different areas in NZ.

http://www.dbh.govt.nz/housing/tenan...t%20region.asp
Thanks for all the replies I guess that we will have to do a lot more work to find things out. The really unfortunate thing about this is that when we first started talking about the move we were doing it for a better life ( not financial) but as time has gone on we continue to worry about the financial side of it all.I dont want people to think we are materialistic but we dont want to make the move and then have money problems because this is when the family start to suffer, added stress in the relationship etc. At the moment all the research that we have done has actually shown us exactly what we do have here in the UK and although NZ is a beautifull place it still has its own kind of problems.Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:41 pm
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Thanks for all the replies I guess that we will have to do a lot more work to find things out. The really unfortunate thing about this is that when we first started talking about the move we were doing it for a better life ( not financial) but as time has gone on we continue to worry about the financial side of it all.I dont want people to think we are materialistic but we dont want to make the move and then have money problems because this is when the family start to suffer, added stress in the relationship etc. At the moment all the research that we have done has actually shown us exactly what we do have here in the UK and although NZ is a beautifull place it still has its own kind of problems.Thanks again and look forward to hearing from you.
Best of luck in whatever you decide, keep reading and keep thinking. You are totally right that even though you may not be emmigrating for financial reasons, it matters ALOT! I have seen relationships breaking down due to the stress and strain of not only living in a foreign country, but having next to no money and it isn't a pretty sight. NZ is well worth giving a try if you've got a lot of capital to take with you, support on the other side and a well paid job. Even easier is having no kids!
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:11 pm
BE Enthusiast

jueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of lightjueinnz is a glorious beacon of light

As I have have just got my first NZ mortgage I have a calculator which will calculate your weekly mortgage payments if you would like me to send it to you.
There is a much more flexibility with mortgages then there is in UK, I know a couple in there late 30's who have just got a mortgage for 30 years, to enable them to keep the cost down in the beginning, obviously you can change it at a later date. We are a couple with no children and our joint income is $90ish. we live very comfortably. (which is more than we did in UK, and we both had higher position jobs with good salaries) We are debt free except the mortgage which is the big difference from being in UK. Where we had loans and HP and credit for Africa, this we paid all off when we left UK.
Yes you can buy a house for $400k. But we have just got a lovely 3 bed home, with 2 baths extra toilet and nice size garden (and sea views from the en-suite which my husband sayes is great to look at when ....)In a nice quiet area which is in west Auckland for $345k. And I would feel happy to bring my kids up here. My impression of Kiwi houses is that you get much more for your money than in UK.
Remember that going to the beach is free ...and you take lunch with you so the cost of having a great day is minimal and doesn't have to break the bank.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 11:51 pm
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jueinnz
As I have have just got my first NZ mortgage I have a calculator which will calculate your weekly mortgage payments if you would like me to send it to you.
There is a much more flexibility with mortgages then there is in UK, I know a couple in there late 30's who have just got a mortgage for 30 years, to enable them to keep the cost down in the beginning, obviously you can change it at a later date. We are a couple with no children and our joint income is $90ish. we live very comfortably. (which is more than we did in UK, and we both had higher position jobs with good salaries) We are debt free except the mortgage which is the big difference from being in UK. Where we had loans and HP and credit for Africa, this we paid all off when we left UK.
Yes you can buy a house for $400k. But we have just got a lovely 3 bed home, with 2 baths extra toilet and nice size garden (and sea views from the en-suite which my husband sayes is great to look at when ....)In a nice quiet area which is in west Auckland for $345k. And I would feel happy to bring my kids up here. My impression of Kiwi houses is that you get much more for your money than in UK.
Remember that going to the beach is free ...and you take lunch with you so the cost of having a great day is minimal and doesn't have to break the bank.
Thank GOD! Someone like us!

And, as Debs says, the relationship thing - my mum always used to tell us "when poverty flies in the door - love flies out the window". Too true
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:05 am
Banned

Debs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to allDebs70 is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Batty
Thank GOD! Someone like us!

And, as Debs says, the relationship thing - my mum always used to tell us "when poverty flies in the door - love flies out the window". Too true
God, we were so lucky in that respect Batty! know what your mum meant cos I saw it, but we are, and always were 100% romantic.... aaahhh!! thank god eh? I would have been so evil if it had broken our relationship I tell ya!
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:14 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Debs70
God, we were so lucky in that respect Batty! know what your mum meant cos I saw it, but we are, and always were 100% romantic.... aaahhh!! thank god eh? I would have been so evil if it had broken our relationship I tell ya!
Nah, you'd never have been evil "100% romantic"? Aaaaaaaaaaaahh Big softie
Old Oct 27th 2005, 12:18 am
Banned

Originally Posted by Batty
Nah, you'd never have been evil "100% romantic"? Aaaaaaaaaaaahh Big softie
Do you keep getting duplicate messages? cos I do too! you have to be fast and click it before it registers two messages! nightmare!

But anyway, what were we talking about? romance? aaaahhhh!

Chris bought me a 1/2 carat diamond necklace the other day just cos it matched my engagement ring... ahhhhh... that's romantic innit?

Last edited by Debs70; Oct 27th 2005 at 12:22 am.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 3:43 am
livewire

Can he get me one too?

Rent on the North Shore is around $450-550 a week, you can get stuff for less than that of course but you'll get what you pay for.

When it comes to buying white goods ALWAYS haggle with the store's sales reps. You will get hundreds of dollars knocked off the higher value goods just by asking. (A friend of mine just bought a digital camera, memory card and case from the duty free store at Auckand airport and got a cash discount there even). In fact it's well worth haggling over most things you buy, or rent, pity it doesn't work too well in Paknsave thou'

There are some pretty naff areas in Auckland and on the North Shore so you have to be careful where you buy a house. The agents can spot a green immigrant a mile away and will try to sell you something that looks ok to you but could be difficult to sell at a later date.

Old Oct 27th 2005, 6:12 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Sorry but that's very unnecessary and as a non-smoker myself I think somewhat insulting, although I can see what point you are trying to make.

Would $250-$300 really be way off the mark for a family of 4 in the Auckland area? Including toiletries and cleaning products, and also for everything in its entirety for a whole week.

Sorry but I really dislike reading things that I would not imagine civil people saying directly to strangers.
Sorry - you are quite right, my post did sound rude! I did not mean to offend.

The question about smoking was a legit one however - I was a smoker and it added at least $80 per week to my grocery bill (I smoked approx 30/day). Smoking is expensive here.

About your $250 - $300 - do you mean per week? If so I would think that would be fine but I guess it depends on what you buy and what foods you eat. Until recently we were a family of 3 adults and one small child. I spent $300 - $350 per fortnight for all food, tolietries and cleaning stuff. An extra $100 per fornight on fresh milk and bread and a few extra. I should point out that groceries seem to have gone up since then. I tend to buy seasonal veg and fruit (cheaper). I also tend to buy expensive cuts of meat but we don't buy or eat much sweet stuff.
Old Oct 27th 2005, 7:53 am
Galaxy 1: Cadbury's 0

uk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeuk+kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Sorry - you are quite right, my post did sound rude! I did not mean to offend.

The question about smoking was a legit one however - I was a smoker and it added at least $80 per week to my grocery bill (I smoked approx 30/day). Smoking is expensive here.

About your $250 - $300 - do you mean per week? If so I would think that would be fine but I guess it depends on what you buy and what foods you eat. Until recently we were a family of 3 adults and one small child. I spent $300 - $350 per fortnight for all food, tolietries and cleaning stuff. An extra $100 per fornight on fresh milk and bread and a few extra. I should point out that groceries seem to have gone up since then. I tend to buy seasonal veg and fruit (cheaper). I also tend to buy expensive cuts of meat but we don't buy or eat much sweet stuff.
Thanks for that.

How do you shop by the fortnight? ie what do you do about fresh meat/fish/fruit & veg? Do you freeze the former and then buy little and often with the f&v? I ask especially since those who have moved have said that whilst the quality of fresh food is better than in the UK, that the fruit & veg doesn't last as long. And I think a week is quite a long time here. Carmen.
Old Nov 2nd 2005, 12:39 am
Forum Regular

shazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant futureshazzafromnz has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by uk+kiwi
Thanks for that.

How do you shop by the fortnight? ie what do you do about fresh meat/fish/fruit & veg? Do you freeze the former and then buy little and often with the f&v? I ask especially since those who have moved have said that whilst the quality of fresh food is better than in the UK, that the fruit & veg doesn't last as long. And I think a week is quite a long time here. Carmen.
Hi ..if this is any help to anyone
This is what we do
We own a freezer..I shop fortnightly at Countdown spending about 300.00 for a family of 2 adults a 10y old and a 2 1/2 yr old.
I stock up on specials and have a cupboard for this extra non disposable stuff..ie paper towels,toiletries,nappies,tinned fruit,crackers,dried fruit,flour ,sugar,juice etc. I buy good quality meat and frozen vege on special and freeze it,we catch fish and freeze it.We freeze our milk and defrost it in the microwave or on the bench over night,same with the bread.We grow some green vege in a garden
On alternate weeks I go to a fruit and vege shop and replenish our fruit/vege supplies.We spend an average of 600 NZ a mth on everything and this includes cat food.
Shazza