Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living.HELP!!!

Cost of living.HELP!!!

Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:42 pm
Just Joined

ACOB is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Cost of living.HELP!!!

Having read so many threads re: cost of living etc, I am having serious doubts as to continue with my application to leave the UK for NZ.One of the reasons to go was so that we could have a better standard of living for us and the two children.Having secured a job earning mid 50K I am concerned as to how far it will go in the Aukland area.I appreciate that it is a beautifull place but thats no good to me if I cant afford to take the children out to see these places and if I am going to sruggle then I may aswell be overdrawn here if it will be the same in NZ.I am pulling my hair out not being able to find out if this wage will be enough to live on.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old Oct 25th 2005, 6:56 pm
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cost of living.HELP!!!

Originally Posted by ACOB
Having read so many threads re: cost of living etc, I am having serious doubts as to continue with my application to leave the UK for NZ.One of the reasons to go was so that we could have a better standard of living for us and the two children.Having secured a job earning mid 50K I am concerned as to how far it will go in the Aukland area.I appreciate that it is a beautifull place but thats no good to me if I cant afford to take the children out to see these places and if I am going to sruggle then I may aswell be overdrawn here if it will be the same in NZ.I am pulling my hair out not being able to find out if this wage will be enough to live on.Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It would all depend as to whether you would be able to have a big enough deposit on a property,and how frugal you can be..
my husband earns 65k and as yet we can not make ends meet...but then we have life ins,car ins,hse ins which some people dont have to keep costs down...I think they say the guidelines are you need $4000 take home a month to raise a family of 4, and the wage you are being offered is below this.
What I haven't been able to work out is how much rent/mortgage is meant to come out of this figure..
Certainly a good idea to check what you think your out goings will be....it is expensive...any specific questions on what we are paying send me an IM,will gladly help if I can....best of luck
Old Oct 25th 2005, 8:20 pm
Member of Mumo-land

mumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of lightmumomonty is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by ACOB
You will not have a better standard of living on that amount. the networks of 'help' etc will not be here either for your family. If it aint broke, don't fix it.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 2:59 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

$50k is not a fantastic wage to be on in Auckland to be honest.
Depending on how old your children are and how much capital you will be bringing out to buy a house.
Expect to be looking in the mid $400k's range (depending on area of Auckland) to be in a fairly decent area. Obviously some areas are MUCH more than that.
$50k will be a take home of around $731 per week. If you rent, again expect to be paying around the $400 pw (& upwards) range for a decent rental and area.
Food bill will again vary on the ages of your children but expect around $250-$300 pw..again this is just approx figures. On top of this you will have life insurance, house car and contents insurance, council tax, power bills, phone and internet, and fuel and car expenses. Also school expenses if your children are school age.
I hope this is of some help to maybe assess your situation
Old Oct 26th 2005, 4:59 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
$50k is not a fantastic wage to be on in Auckland to be honest.
Depending on how old your children are and how much capital you will be bringing out to buy a house.
Expect to be looking in the mid $400k's range (depending on area of Auckland) to be in a fairly decent area. Obviously some areas are MUCH more than that.
$50k will be a take home of around $731 per week. If you rent, again expect to be paying around the $400 pw (& upwards) range for a decent rental and area.
Food bill will again vary on the ages of your children but expect around $250-$300 pw..again this is just approx figures. On top of this you will have life insurance, house car and contents insurance, council tax, power bills, phone and internet, and fuel and car expenses. Also school expenses if your children are school age.
I hope this is of some help to maybe assess your situation
Apart from probably being able to drop the grocery bill by about $100 per week, I agree with Rascal on this estimate in the Auckland area. Most NZ'ers rely on both parents working - must be different in the UK. Cost of living depends very much on where you live - among other things of course. Good luck! And 'council tax' is i think what we call 'rates'.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 5:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Rascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond reputeRascal has a reputation beyond repute

Yes, maybe if you dont buy toiletries and cleaning products, you MAY reduce your shopping bill which includes just food for a family of four. But I prefer to clean and spend more I suppose.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:06 am

ElizabethC is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Rascal
Yes, maybe if you dont buy toiletries and cleaning products, you MAY reduce your shopping bill which includes just food for a family of four. But I prefer to clean and spend more I suppose.
Rubbish. You cannot shop prperly. My house is clean - extremely clean - are you a smoker Rascal?
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:22 am
BE Forum Addict

Of course I shop properly and clean too.
My family eat good quality food and meals, not processed stuff either. And NO I dont smoke, none of us do and never have done either.
The shopping bill is in line with an average family of four I would say, I am not going to change it to suit you or anyone else.
Our friends in Auckland a couple on their own, no kids, spend an average of $190pw shopping, they tell me they always almost have to dash out during the week to top up, bread, milk etc...taking it to around $210pw.
I think its fair to say a family of four will spend $250 pw. in NZ.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 6:27 am
Forum Regular

melting pot is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by ElizabethC
Rubbish. You cannot shop prperly. My house is clean - extremely clean - are you a smoker Rascal?
Do you think we could try and keep the posts to the subject the member is asking for and not an opportunity for a personal vendetta....if you spend 150 a week great,just say so,I spend 300,and neighbours,family also same amounts them a mixture of Kiwi,and Brits if you want to pick an argument send a PM...I for one want to help,and hear what other people have of help too...
Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:24 am
Forum Regular

chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future

HI everyone
we are hoping to move to NZ in July 06 we are a family of 4(3year old and 1 year old)we have done a lot of research and are not expecting 2 be no better of financially than we are in UK,but we are doing the move for our 2 boys to give them a better quality of life(and us of course)i have an uncle who is in wellington city he has given us some good supermarkets to compare prices of stuff to UK he said they are not the cheaper ones www.woolworths.co.nz www.newworld.co.nz[If anyone else can suggest any electrical and white goods stores we would be very grateful. hope someone will find these useful that are in our position(on our last stages of application)kerrie

=melting pot]Do you think we could try and keep the posts to the subject the member is asking for and not an opportunity for a personal vendetta....if you spend 150 a week great,just say so,I spend 300,and neighbours,family also same amounts them a mixture of Kiwi,and Brits if you want to pick an argument send a PM...I for one want to help,and hear what other people have of help too...[/QUOTE]
Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:39 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

White goods sites. www.noelleeming.co.nz www.bondandbond.co.nz www.dse.co.nz . A household one www.briscoes.co.nz (they have sales every couple of months with great special offers so it's worth waiting for those if you can).

And, I earn $45k and there's only the two of us and no, with a mortgage, we couldn't manage on that (both of us are working). But, that is without budgeting. Difficult to change the habits of a lifetime
Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:39 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

[QUOTE=Rascal]I think its fair to say a family of four will spend $250 pw. in NZ.

I used to spend $450 a fortnight 5 years ago so I would expect now to be spending $250-$300 for the 5 of us.
KAZ
Old Oct 26th 2005, 7:49 am
Forum Regular

chay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant futurechay and kerrie has a brilliant future

thanks for that batty, will do some looking at those.we are in a dilemma dont no if we are going to take our white goods with us or not we have read that they are very expensive thanks again Kerrie
Originally Posted by Batty
Hi

White goods sites. www.noelleeming.co.nz www.bondandbond.co.nz www.dse.co.nz . A household one www.briscoes.co.nz (they have sales every couple of months with great special offers so it's worth waiting for those if you can).

And, I earn $45k and there's only the two of us and no, with a mortgage, we couldn't manage on that (both of us are working). But, that is without budgeting. Difficult to change the habits of a lifetime
Old Oct 26th 2005, 8:34 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Well I'm always up for a challenge or I wouldn't still be in NZ and apart from the terrible time we have had with employers and the low wages, I like NZ. I like the area we live in too .. just a shame we aren't surrounded by a couple of acres that's all.
I spend about $250 to $300 a fortnight on food for a family of five but I wish I could spend more, I have a keen eye for a special now though.
When my youngest is older I'll go back to work and we'll be better off and be able to be a bit more relaxed with the shopping regime hopefully.

Last edited by sky; Oct 26th 2005 at 8:36 am.
Old Oct 26th 2005, 9:05 am
By name and by nature

Batty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond reputeBatty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chay and kerrie
thanks for that batty, will do some looking at those.we are in a dilemma dont no if we are going to take our white goods with us or not we have read that they are very expensive thanks again Kerrie
Kerrie, if it's in working order bring it. Honestly, it's not that it's so expensive here, it's just that when you have to buy everything at once it IS expensive. I bought a lot of stuff on Trade Me and saved over $4,000 and it's not rubbish stuff either. E.g. I bought a 6 month old F&P washing machine, that was still on sale in Noel Leemings for $799, for $540 including the delivery, 3 month old LCD 30" Phillips TV for $2,200 - a 26" is $3,000. Both have the warranties too. There are lots of bargains to be had - if you know where to look for them. But, why pay for it if you can bring it with you?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.