Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of living generally

Cost of living generally

Old May 5th 2007, 2:39 pm
Somewhere

BEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond reputeBEVS has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living generally

it seems like every time I turn around it's $6.50 here, $3 there
My ducks are like that.
Old May 5th 2007, 4:21 pm
Banned

Jack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond reputeJack The Lad has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS here View Post
My ducks are like that.
Ducks

What ducks?
Old May 6th 2007, 7:06 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

My middle son it's about $200 a year and $58 for the stationary pack at the beginning of every new year.
Just after Xmas when you're skint is a very expensive time of year what with having to buy school uniforms, stationary, pay the school fees etc .... more so when you have a couple of kids at school.
Old May 6th 2007, 8:06 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by soulflour View Post
Hiya

'Road tax' is covered by your 'rego' which from memory is $183 per year (or it is for our cars!).

SF
Good to know that some things are cheaper in NZ. Our car insurance was nearly 400 pounds and because it is a 4x4 (Subaru Forester) road tax is to go up to £400 a year!!!

Then they are getting rid of road tax and replacing it with mileage tax. Fortunately, my OH works locally but it will be a [email protected]@[email protected] for the commuters! Obviously, if commuters drive 4x4s that price will double! :curse:
Old May 6th 2007, 8:12 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RedMonsk View Post
Fortunately, my OH works locally but it will be a [email protected]@[email protected] for the commuters! Obviously, if commuters drive 4x4s that price will double! :curse:

user pays, cant see the problem tbh. will this cover HGV's delivering goods?? might put the price of things up, so may be a downside. then again, people might buy locally produced stuff, so an upside???
Old May 6th 2007, 8:21 am
BE Enthusiast

RedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to allRedMonsk is a name known to all

Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
user pays, cant see the problem tbh. will this cover HGV's delivering goods?? might put the price of things up, so may be a downside. then again, people might buy locally produced stuff, so an upside???
Not sure tbh, think commercial vehicles will be charged at a different rate, but it will probably be small businesses that are affected most! If OH gets job in another county (works for small building firm), I'd imagine that they would then take into consideration the added costs when giving a quote. The good old knock on effect!
Old May 6th 2007, 8:22 am
BE Enthusiast

Also, think it is fair enough to encourage commuters to travel by train/bus, but that wouldn't work for someone like OH who has to bring a load of tools with him!
Old May 6th 2007, 8:37 am
Banned

Apple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the roughApple Tree is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by RedMonsk View Post
Not sure tbh, think commercial vehicles will be charged at a different rate, but it will probably be small businesses that are affected most! If OH gets job in another county (works for small building firm), I'd imagine that they would then take into consideration the added costs when giving a quote. The good old knock on effect!

where i used to live, you would regularly see, for example, window fitters from towns 40 miles away, whilst the local fitters travelled

I think small businesses will actually do better as people wont be shopping "out of town" if the fuel is gonna cost more.
Old May 6th 2007, 8:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Apple Tree View Post
where i used to live, you would regularly see, for example, window fitters from towns 40 miles away, whilst the local fitters travelled

I think small businesses will actually do better as people wont be shopping "out of town" if the fuel is gonna cost more.
I really hope that will be the case!

But hopefully, but the time this comes in we will be in NZ! {fingers & toes crossed!}