British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cost of living generally (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-living-generally-447160/)

BEVS May 5th 2007 2:39 pm

Re: Cost of living generally

it seems like every time I turn around it's $6.50 here, $3 there
My ducks are like that.

Jack The Lad May 5th 2007 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by BEVS here (Post 4741364)
My ducks are like that.

Ducks :confused:

What ducks? :D

sky May 6th 2007 7:06 am

My middle son it's about $200 a year and $58 for the stationary pack at the beginning of every new year.
Just after Xmas when you're skint is a very expensive time of year what with having to buy school uniforms, stationary, pay the school fees etc .... more so when you have a couple of kids at school.

RedMonsk May 6th 2007 8:06 am

Originally Posted by soulflour (Post 4738349)
Hiya

'Road tax' is covered by your 'rego' which from memory is $183 per year (or it is for our cars!).

SF

Good to know that some things are cheaper in NZ. Our car insurance was nearly 400 pounds and because it is a 4x4 (Subaru Forester) road tax is to go up to £400 a year!!!

Then they are getting rid of road tax and replacing it with mileage tax. Fortunately, my OH works locally but it will be a b@@~D@D for the commuters! Obviously, if commuters drive 4x4s that price will double! :curse:

Apple Tree May 6th 2007 8:12 am

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 4743236)
Fortunately, my OH works locally but it will be a b@@~D@D for the commuters! Obviously, if commuters drive 4x4s that price will double! :curse:

user pays, cant see the problem tbh. will this cover HGV's delivering goods?? might put the price of things up, so may be a downside. then again, people might buy locally produced stuff, so an upside???

RedMonsk May 6th 2007 8:21 am

Originally Posted by Apple Tree (Post 4743247)
user pays, cant see the problem tbh. will this cover HGV's delivering goods?? might put the price of things up, so may be a downside. then again, people might buy locally produced stuff, so an upside???

Not sure tbh, think commercial vehicles will be charged at a different rate, but it will probably be small businesses that are affected most! If OH gets job in another county (works for small building firm), I'd imagine that they would then take into consideration the added costs when giving a quote. The good old knock on effect! :blink:

RedMonsk May 6th 2007 8:22 am

Also, think it is fair enough to encourage commuters to travel by train/bus, but that wouldn't work for someone like OH who has to bring a load of tools with him! :unsure:

Apple Tree May 6th 2007 8:37 am

Originally Posted by RedMonsk (Post 4743267)
Not sure tbh, think commercial vehicles will be charged at a different rate, but it will probably be small businesses that are affected most! If OH gets job in another county (works for small building firm), I'd imagine that they would then take into consideration the added costs when giving a quote. The good old knock on effect! :blink:

where i used to live, you would regularly see, for example, window fitters from towns 40 miles away, whilst the local fitters travelled:confused:

I think small businesses will actually do better as people wont be shopping "out of town" if the fuel is gonna cost more.

RedMonsk May 6th 2007 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Apple Tree (Post 4743296)
where i used to live, you would regularly see, for example, window fitters from towns 40 miles away, whilst the local fitters travelled:confused:

I think small businesses will actually do better as people wont be shopping "out of town" if the fuel is gonna cost more.

I really hope that will be the case! :thumbsup:

But hopefully, but the time this comes in we will be in NZ! {fingers & toes crossed!}