Cost of living.

Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:52 am
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living.

Originally Posted by AndyEvs
Have just spent 4 weeks back in the UK and as always am stunned at how cheap the food is there (along with the mid boggling choice) compared to NZ.
Back in 2004 when we first moved here I did a comparison not based on price but on percentage of my income. So for example if a loaf of bread costs 0.005% of my income in he UK what does it cost in NZ. I saved it all on a spreadsheet for a couple of months and I have to tell you it made me want to weep. As a school teacher in an equivalent job I found day to day goods to be on average taking 20% more of my wages than in the UK. Once you add in the cost of travel, well actually don't bother, it will only make you mad!
New Zealand is very expensive. I think there is no doubt about it. Yet somehow one adapts and gets used to the high prices, the often low quality and less choice. It becomes normal until one travels and then the spiel starts again. Human ability to adapt is truly amazing.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 5:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I know I sound like a repeating record here but a UK to NZ comparison isn't much cop & will mean little once you are here and earning for a year or so.

You need to do a UK net income to UK expenditure and be brutal with that .
Then you need to apply the exact same to what you think your NZ net income will be and do your NZ expenditure with the same brutality.

Comparing UK to NZ prices means nothing at all as you won't be earning UK money.

Once you have done both, then you can compare things like disposable income at the end of a week etc.

You also need to factor in things like doctors, vehicles, vets, school fees etc.
This is so true, the comparison is far more complicated than just the cost of groceries.

Although, if you are living off investment income from the UK and you know what that is going to be then it is easier. Wait a minute, the exchange rate changes all the time so in fact it is not easy at all.

You also have to include in the equation that food prices here include GST whereas in the UK there is no VAT on food. With that there is the Income Tax rates (don't forget to factor National Insurance into them). Much lower for high-earners in NZ but overall much higher for low-earners.

It is too complicated to attempt a sensible comparison, don't bother.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 3:59 pm
Just Joined

dithering pom is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
Agree food is generally more, but it all depends on how you shop and how you eat. Somethings come up surprisingly cheaper, particularly if the 'specials' are suitable. A direct comparison isnt going to work and as Catchafire says fruit and veg are very seasonal. The quality and choice for fruit and veg personally I think is much better though.
Luckily we both love to cook and microwave is largely redundant. Eating seasonally suits me. Just complaining to her indoors about her request for some tender stem broccoli from Waitrose...£19.99/kilo! What's the hells wrong with carrots
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:14 pm
Just Joined

Nick Miller is an unknown quantity at this point

As a small isolated market, NZ shops will always have a narrower range of goods than the UK. Personally though, having returned here after 8 years, I think the gap in range and quality has narrowed a little. The difference in food prices is, as has been noted, partly down to GST. However I don't think most people come here for the shopping anyway.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:21 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by dithering pom
Eating seasonally suits me. Just complaining to her indoors about her request for some tender stem broccoli from Waitrose...£19.99/kilo! What's the hells wrong with carrots
Make the most of it, while you still have that choice.
Old Feb 1st 2013, 8:34 pm
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Nick Miller
As a small isolated market, NZ shops will always have a narrower range of goods than the UK. Personally though, having returned here after 8 years, I think the gap in range and quality has narrowed a little.
I tend to agree, it has got a LOT better in the time that we have been here but then I kind of feel that the rest of the world probably move on at a simlilar rate in terms of new products and ideas. When we first came here there certainly weren't all the higher-end yoghurts, chilled soups and pasta, bagged salads and stuff like that that had been available in the UK for years before.

We've only relatively recently been touched by the Masterchef / TV Chef influence and I feel this has caused a mini food revelution with many jumping on that band-wagon. e.g. Al Brown beefburgers and meatballs - both excellent, where previously we had only what might pass as frozen dog meat with multiple fillers and additives in a patty.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:07 am
BE Enthusiast

babybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond reputebabybella has a reputation beyond repute

I do get fed up with the cost and quality of cheese in NZ. Made a lovely salad for a lunch today 400g of halloumi cost me $14. Turned out to be a very expensive salad. And I have yet to find a decent mozorrella cheese. Bought some at pak n save, cost $10 for a small peice and I could have bounced it off the wall.
Kaz
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 8:41 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

This very debate is on TV3 next week, I think Campbell live where they have two shoppers one in the UK one in NZ shopping for the same things at the same time - or so the advert is showing. Will be interested in seeing the outcome.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 9:25 am
Just Joined

Addictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to allAddictedtosushi is a name known to all

Originally Posted by babybella
I do get fed up with the cost and quality of cheese in NZ. Made a lovely salad for a lunch today 400g of halloumi cost me $14. Turned out to be a very expensive salad. And I have yet to find a decent mozorrella cheese. Bought some at pak n save, cost $10 for a small peice and I could have bounced it off the wall.
Kaz
That is one 100% rip off.The kiwis are surely being ripped off but don't seem to notice.

I pay 69 pence at Sainsburys and if I want the Buffalo Mozzarella its a pound.
Making home made pizza's tonight with a salad a cheap and easy meal when I used to make it in NZ I used to have to remortgage the house.
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 5:03 pm
NZ wannabe

Synky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to allSynky is a name known to all

For those prices I'd consider making my own cheese!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:20 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

I don't really see the point in getting bogged down with small purchases like how much a pack of cheese is. Yeah OK, it's more expensive than the UK. However in NZ my rent is half the price, car insurance is half the price, the equivalent of council tax is much less so if a piece of cheese costs more money I think I can deal with it!
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:25 pm

love30stm is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch
I don't really see the point in getting bogged down with small purchases like how much a pack of cheese is. Yeah OK, it's more expensive than the UK. However in NZ my rent is half the price, car insurance is half the price, the equivalent of council tax is much less so if a piece of cheese costs more money I think I can deal with it!
Totally agree with you I don't really think how expensive stuff is I just buy it
Old Feb 2nd 2013, 10:27 pm
Forum Regular

AndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond reputeAndyEvs has a reputation beyond repute

Depends on your food bill really. For us, with 2 kids, prefering not to eat junk food and preparing family meals with good quality ingredients our food bill is astronomic. If we lived on $5 pizzas and McDonald's it probably wouldn't be such an issue for us.
The food bill is part of the overall. Most consumer goods cost more and as consumers that has an impact on our monthly outgoings.
The issue here has to be looked at holistically, so rent, insurance etc are also part of the whole.
For us the maths shows that our monthly outgoings are a greater percentage of our wages than they were in the UK, but that won't be the same for everybody.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 12:06 am
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary
This very debate is on TV3 next week, I think Campbell live where they have two shoppers one in the UK one in NZ shopping for the same things at the same time - or so the advert is showing. Will be interested in seeing the outcome.
It will be interesting to see this, although I'm not sure how well it will stack up. There will be so many variables it will be like comparing apples and oranges. For starters there is going to be 15% GST added in NZ, that doesn't apply in the UK.

I wonder what area of NZ and UK they will be comparing and which shops they will be using. Waitrose vs Pak n' Save or Countdown vs ASDA. Newcastle vs Auckland or Invacargill vs London. This could either work out in favour of the UK or NZ depending on where is chosen location wise or which shop.

The seasons are also the opposite way around so will they be taking into account buying out of season items in NZ compared with the UK where this doesn't apply so much. We all know how extortionate it is buying certain fruit and veg out of season in NZ, which will also skew the results.

I also find shopping in NZ a whole different ball game. In the UK I used to go to the supermarket for pretty much everything. NZ I don't do this because it works out expensive. You have to be more of a savvy shopper in NZ than you do in the UK. Supermarket fruit and veg is cheap in the UK, but buying it from a farm or market is cheaper in NZ. Buying fruit and veg in supermarkets in NZ works out much more expensive.

It also depends on individual taste. Personally I cook a lot of Thai food, which is pretty cheap over here thanks to the Asian supermarkets. This keeps my food bills down.

Another thing that I doubt will be compared will be quality. I find NZ to be of much higher quality than the UK.

Swings and roundabouts really!

Last edited by Pom_Chch; Feb 3rd 2013 at 12:08 am.
Old Feb 3rd 2013, 1:10 am
BE Enthusiast

lisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond reputelisamct has a reputation beyond repute

I think where abouts in NZ you live must make such a huge difference in comparisons that its all but impossible to actually compare until you live here.

I'm in Auckland, by choice, and here my rent is much higher than it would have been in the UK, my car insurance is pretty much the same but here I drive 10yr old Toyota and back home I drove a 2yr old Jeep and I just simply cant afford to eat the way I used to.
I pretty much always cook from scratch but in the UK tried to stick to organic as much as possible and free range when it came to meats but here that's way out my price range, and often difficult to find even if you can afford it (and markets and dedicated fruit/veg shops in no way mean the products are organic or free range)

I also find meat, fruit and veg to be lower quality and often a bit tasteless but I put that down to the difference between organic and not as I found the same in the UK with regular produce.

Anyway, I don't think anyone can say its all cheaper or its all more expensive as there's such a huge variety in life styles and expectations that you'll pretty much never know how its going to affect you till you try it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.