cost of living?

Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:46 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all
Default Re: cost of living?

44k you would not be able to live on with rent food etc etc, Oz is expensive, I was earning 60k as a single bloke and had nothing left at the end on the month, I did love clubbing mind.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:51 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by MattandJax
I could go on and on as being an accountant I seem to have a knack of keeping track of how much things cost
Matt
However, it's not the comparison to the UK that the OP needs to do.

It's a maths exercise. The proposed net NZ income v NZ outgoings. Then look carefully at the remainder, if there is any, to see if that can be a fail-safe for any sudden heavy costs.

I have to agree with Mickey-D that food prices are a killer. Cost of living has certainly increased in the 7 years we've been here, whilst income has remained static or decreased for us.
The seasonal thing does make me laugh though. There are hydroponical tomatoes growing all year round here in huge agricultural greenhouses . Yet tomato prices are 'seasonal'.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:52 pm
`

Originally Posted by Perthbum
44k you would not be able to live on with rent food etc etc, Oz is expensive, I was earning 60k as a single bloke and had nothing left at the end on the month, I did love clubbing mind.
Last time I looked New Zealand was not part of Australia.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:53 pm
Banned

Perthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to allPerthbum is a name known to all

Originally Posted by BEVS
Last time I looked New Zealand was not part of Australia.
Sorry thought it was Oz.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 9:58 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

However, it's not the comparison to the UK that the OP needs to do.

It's a maths exercise. The proposed net NZ income v NZ outgoings. Then look carefully at the remainder, if there is any, to see if that can be a fail-safe for any sudden heavy costs.

I have to agree with Mickey-D that food prices are a killer. Cost of living has certainly increased in the 7 years we've been here, whilst income has remained static or decreased for us.
The seasonal thing does make me laugh though. There are hydroponical tomatoes growing all year round here in huge agricultural greenhouses . Yet tomato prices are 'seasonal'.
Yes I know, I was not replying to the original poster hence the use of the quote.

And the food prices v wages is not unique to NZ or the UK. Look what is happening in Israel.
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:05 pm
`

Yes I know, I was not replying to the original poster hence the use of the quote.
And the food prices v wages is not unique to NZ or the UK. Look what is happening in Israel.
However, the OP is asking about the cost of living v income in NZ .

There is merit in the OP assessing their current financial situation in the UK, but Israel ?
Old Sep 5th 2011, 10:50 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by lianne1985
hi my husband and i have been looking at immigrating to auckland or hamilton and would appreciate any advice! I am a registered mental health nurse. I am pretty alright with the process of registration and immigration. but am unsure of the cost of living in relation to salary. if i am on the basic $44ooo a year will this let me lead a satisfactory life (ie not poor)
I think there are too many unanswered questions to make a reply. Will your husband be working too? What is satisfactory to you? Would a 2002 Toyota Camry be ok? How many bedrooms do you want in your house? What suburb do you want to live in? etc etc.
If you are single, a salary of $44,000 would be enough to not be poor, depending on your definition of poor. You would find it difficult to manage if you wanted to live in a 3 bedroom house in Remuera though.
For 2 people, on a salary of $44,000 between you, you would struggle.

Perhaps the Mercer's report offers some sort of comparison for cost of living. London is the 18th most expensive city in the world in which to live. Auckland is not in the top 50 (I think it's around the 120th in the world). Although this does not take into account the difference in salaries, which are better in London on average, of course. Just the prices of goods and services against the US currency.
http://www.mercer.com/press-releases/1311145

Last edited by waikatoguy; Sep 5th 2011 at 10:59 pm.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 1:02 am
`

Yes I know.
Lightbulb moment.

You're a couple up in Auckland I think. Are you living on around $44K gross pa then, coz that would be very relevant.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:19 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

$44k per annum for two in Auckland, having to pay rent= no way.

However, as a nurse you'll get penals on top and in Hamilton that would make it doable. If in the future your husband/partner gets work then I'd say you'll be ok in Hamilton. If you don't mind us asking- what do you earn as a couple in the UK? that would help us answer whether you'll need to seriously pull the belt in or not.

Also, why are your options Auckland or Hamilton?
Old Sep 6th 2011, 2:57 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
If you don't mind us asking- what do you earn as a couple in the UK? that would help us answer whether you'll need to seriously pull the belt in or not.
That's a good point. A lot depends on what the original poster considers to be poor and what sort of lifestyle they are living at the moment.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 4:09 am
`

Originally Posted by Perthbum
Sorry thought it was Oz.
S'okay. Take it you've been to Perth, found it expensive and returned to Brum then.
Husband hales from Wolvo.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 5:30 am
Forum Regular

charlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nicecharlcote is just really nice

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
$44k per annum for two in Auckland, having to pay rent= no way.

However, as a nurse you'll get penals on top and in Hamilton that would make it doable. If in the future your husband/partner gets work then I'd say you'll be ok in Hamilton. If you don't mind us asking- what do you earn as a couple in the UK? that would help us answer whether you'll need to seriously pull the belt in or not.

Also, why are your options Auckland or Hamilton?
I was talking to a UK friend who has just sacked her window cleaner for charging 10 pounds to clean the windows of her house, as she thought this was excessive. "Send him over here!" I said. I had just had a quote for $300 for mine, which although its bigger, certainly isn't 15x bigger!
Old Sep 6th 2011, 8:27 am
Banned

Expat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond reputeExpat Kiwi has a reputation beyond repute

I've seen a rise in prices over here in Australia too, I think we've all been affected by high commodity prices, floods, droughts etc. I can still buy E10 petrol for around $1.30 a litre, skinless chicken breasts for $7.99, milk a dollar a litre. Electricity has shot up, last time I looked around 20c a unit.

One the positive side pay rises are still in existence too - 4.5% this year and I can get 6% on my savings, share divvies are doing well. so not all bad and not feeling like living standards are being eroded too badly.

Last edited by Expat Kiwi; Sep 6th 2011 at 8:30 am.
Old Sep 6th 2011, 11:12 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Expat Kiwi
milk a dollar a litre.
Ouch! Someone's paying for that somewhere!
Old Sep 7th 2011, 10:12 am
Banned

S'okay. Take it you've been to Perth, found it expensive and returned to Brum then.
Husband hales from Wolvo.
No. had a divorce and have come back to see which Country I prefer.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.