Cost of living

Old Mar 19th 2007, 8:57 pm
  #1  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Happy Wanderers is an unknown quantity at this point
Question Cost of living

Hello,

I have been offered a job in Auckland with a salary of $65k gross. Once deductions have been made this drops to around $3200 a month. I have a wife, not working and three young children. Having researched the web, I am concerned if this will be enough to live and to rent a three/four bed house in Auckland. Can anybody advise if we can survive on this amount and an idea of what essentials cost. Any help appreciated
Thanks.
Happy Wanderers is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:48 pm
  #2  
you dewty owld maan!
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: is practically perfect in every way
Posts: 5,565
lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderers View Post
Hello,

I have been offered a job in Auckland with a salary of $65k gross. Once deductions have been made this drops to around $3200 a month. I have a wife, not working and three young children. Having researched the web, I am concerned if this will be enough to live and to rent a three/four bed house in Auckland. Can anybody advise if we can survive on this amount and an idea of what essentials cost. Any help appreciated
Thanks.
G/day and welcome to the Forum.....
depends upon where you can tolerate living and commuting from/to....accomodation is the real killer in/around Auckland
we budgeted $350 p/w on a similar salary for MrsL but found it hard to get the place we wanted for that to begin with (new place is right on budget).
But if you have no other income and no savings to rely on it will be tight - we were touch and go until I got a job....
good luck.....
lardyl is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2007, 9:54 pm
  #3  
you dewty owld maan!
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: is practically perfect in every way
Posts: 5,565
lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by lardyl View Post
G/day and welcome to the Forum.....
depends upon where you can tolerate living and commuting from/to....accomodation is the real killer in/around Auckland
we budgeted $350 p/w on a similar salary for MrsL but found it hard to get the place we wanted for that to begin with (new place is right on budget).
But if you have no other income and no savings to rely on it will be tight - we were touch and go until I got a job....
good luck.....
oh yeah forgot to say that MrsL is on $63k (about) and without pension deductions she takes home about $850 per week
Now I will be on about the same we are going to be pretty secure financially....
Also remember that you will need some cash for startup costs - we used about £12k including container, S/H car, etc
lardyl is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:22 pm
  #4  
Just Joined
Thread Starter
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Posts: 5
Happy Wanderers is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living

Thanks for the info. Lardyl. I have gone from v. happy on knowing I had a job to not so happy when I looked at the cost of things. I have been advised that the North half of Auckland is a better place to live regards good schools etc. Can anyone help with good areas to rent and schooling on a limited budget? I want the family to stand the best chance of succeding for the duration and not swapping one tough housing situation in Blighty for another. Cheers for any advice and it is brilliant to find a site with such eager contributors.
Happy Wanderers is offline  
Old Mar 19th 2007, 10:45 pm
  #5  
BE Enthusiast
 
Joined: Feb 2007
Location: Nearly there
Posts: 427
The Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond reputeThe Weezer has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderers View Post
Hello,

I have been offered a job in Auckland with a salary of $65k gross. Once deductions have been made this drops to around $3200 a month. I have a wife, not working and three young children. Having researched the web, I am concerned if this will be enough to live and to rent a three/four bed house in Auckland. Can anybody advise if we can survive on this amount and an idea of what essentials cost. Any help appreciated
Thanks.

Here's something in today's paper on the cost of owning a phone:

http://stuff.co.nz/3997388a11.html

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/section/1/...ectid=10429689

Last edited by The Weezer; Mar 19th 2007 at 10:59 pm.
The Weezer is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:03 am
  #6  
Forum Regular
 
Alex's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2006
Location: Maunu nr Whangarei
Posts: 68
Alex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really niceAlex is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of living

Hi Happy Wanderer,
We moved here nearly a year ago with OH job, I also have 3 children.
In my opinion it would not be enough. Although it is a reasonable salary, there are other costs to consider, such as medical, dentists (kids are not free), schools.
I find I spend around $300 a week on food, I know others manage it for less but as my girls get bigger so does the shopping bill,
our rental is $500/week.
Perhaps if your wife wanted to work it would make things more manageable....It is a great lifestyle, and a beautiful country...
I am sure there are other families of 5 that will share their costs and opinions
Good luck with your decision
Alex is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:15 am
  #7  
Forum Regular
 
Leighlou's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Edinburgh
Posts: 217
Leighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant futureLeighlou has a brilliant future
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderers View Post
Hello,

I have been offered a job in Auckland with a salary of $65k gross. Once deductions have been made this drops to around $3200 a month. I have a wife, not working and three young children. Having researched the web, I am concerned if this will be enough to live and to rent a three/four bed house in Auckland. Can anybody advise if we can survive on this amount and an idea of what essentials cost. Any help appreciated
Thanks.
Hi there Happy Wanderers, Congrats on the job offer! We've not made it out to NZ yet, but have been doing the same as you guys and trying to work out how much is needed to survive on. Try this site which I have found to be most helpful:

www.emigratenz.org/salary-finder.php - there is a cost of living questionnaire on this which should give you a bit more of an idea.

Also, there is a tax calculator site, which once you know what your monthly allowance should help you calculate this into a gross annual income so that you can compare salary to lifestyle:

http://www.ird.govt.nz/calculators/k...ml?id=homepage

Hope it's of use and happy wanderings.
Leighlou is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2007, 12:35 am
  #8  
you dewty owld maan!
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: is practically perfect in every way
Posts: 5,565
lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Alex View Post
...I find I spend around $300 a week on food, I know others manage it for less but as my girls get bigger so does the shopping bill,
our rental is $500/week.
Perhaps if your wife wanted to work it would make things more manageable....It is a great lifestyle, and a beautiful country...
I am sure there are other families of 5 that will share their costs and opinions
Good luck with your decision
I wish we could stick to a grocery budget of that per head, but we have lower accomodation costs so its swings and roundabouts, we have two kids, one school age - so don't forget the "donations" uniforms whip rounds and other school stuff...
doctors bills can be harsh - we took out extended single trip travel insurance (asked the guys at Letton Percival to suggest a company - cant remember all their details but can look it up) for the first month before our residency came through. Not yet registered with a doctor but have used one for MrsL's serious reaction to insect bites - cost $65 plus the prescription.....praying for continued good health!!!
Car ownership is relatively cheap and there are some decent cheap motors about - we used Croydon Wholesalers in Henderson and it was painless
Telephone costs can be much higher than in UK if you dont sign up for packages particularly if you live outside the Auckland local area and need to call into Auckland during peak - 45cents/min.....ouch!!
Anyway others will be able to share a more "settled" budget - at the mo we are still "on holiday" with the odd treat that we would not be able to afford on one salary.
BTW the tax situation is biased against single earner families - at 65k you will on top rate of tax! get your hours cut and get your partner earning - it'll be more tax efficient!!
good luck
LL
lardyl is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:33 am
  #9  
Banned
 
Joined: Jan 2007
Location: South Island, NZ
Posts: 82
Hang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura aboutHang11 has a spectacular aura about
Default Re: Cost of living

If you have got PR, you can claim family assistance as soon as you get here, which can make a fair bit of difference.

There's a calculator here..

http://www.ird.govt.nz/wff-tax-credi...ment/work-out/
Hang11 is offline  
Old Mar 20th 2007, 2:57 am
  #10  
Account Closed
 
Joined: Dec 2005
Posts: 527
Apple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of lightApple12 is a glorious beacon of light
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Hang11 View Post
If you have got PR, you can claim family assistance as soon as you get here, which can make a fair bit of difference.

There's a calculator here..

http://www.ird.govt.nz/wff-tax-credi...ment/work-out/
Just a small note of caution, it works on total gross income for the family in the course of a tax year, which can cause issues depending on when in the tax year you arrive or start work....
Apple12 is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:45 am
  #11  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: Northland
Posts: 194
soulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nicesoulflour is just really nice
Default Re: Cost of living

... but you wouldn't end up with an over payment would you? if anything it would be an UNDER payment surely? (am not very financially minded!).
soulflour is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 7:21 am
  #12  
sky
Banned
 
sky's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2003
Posts: 3,467
sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Last year I was told we were earning too much and they reduced my fam assistance to a very low amount and then at the end of the year they gave me back $1800 so they don't really know what they are doing either.
This year they are trying to give me more and I keep having to ring them and tell them not to
sky is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 1:43 pm
  #13  
Just Joined
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Posts: 5
Hakan is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Happy Wanderers View Post
Thanks for the info. Lardyl. I have gone from v. happy on knowing I had a job to not so happy when I looked at the cost of things. I have been advised that the North half of Auckland is a better place to live regards good schools etc. Can anyone help with good areas to rent and schooling on a limited budget? I want the family to stand the best chance of succeding for the duration and not swapping one tough housing situation in Blighty for another. Cheers for any advice and it is brilliant to find a site with such eager contributors.
Hi iam new here and just looking through the threads and it struck me that it appears you haven't been to Auckland from what you say. Is that true. I'm arriving later this year with the family for a look around.

Hakan
Hakan is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 4:09 pm
  #14  
Forum Regular
 
Joined: Mar 2007
Location: Wigan
Posts: 58
gossage is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by Hakan View Post
Hi iam new here and just looking through the threads and it struck me that it appears you haven't been to Auckland from what you say. Is that true. I'm arriving later this year with the family for a look around.

Hakan
I am also concerned about the cost of living in NZ. I arrived back in the UK on Monday after a great 3 weeks in NZ to activate my PR visa. Loved Christchurch would want to settle there. However, I estimate my weekly income to be around $777 after tax etc. and I just can't see how the hell I will be able to survive on that income. I am a single parent of a 4 year old, so have no second income coming in.

I have looked at rentals and would say that I would be looking at paying anything from $350-450/wk. This would leave me about $420-320/wk to pay for food, utilities, insurances, petrol etc. Can anyone who has already moved over to NZ throw some light on the cost of insurances (life, contents, medical, car) and utilities.

I can slowly feel the dream of living in NZ fading!!!!!
gossage is offline  
Old Mar 23rd 2007, 5:14 pm
  #15  
P2L
BE Forum Addict
 
P2L's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2006
Location: NZ
Posts: 3,366
P2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond reputeP2L has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of living

Originally Posted by gossage View Post
I am also concerned about the cost of living in NZ. I arrived back in the UK on Monday after a great 3 weeks in NZ to activate my PR visa. Loved Christchurch would want to settle there. However, I estimate my weekly income to be around $777 after tax etc. and I just can't see how the hell I will be able to survive on that income. I am a single parent of a 4 year old, so have no second income coming in.

I have looked at rentals and would say that I would be looking at paying anything from $350-450/wk. This would leave me about $420-320/wk to pay for food, utilities, insurances, petrol etc. Can anyone who has already moved over to NZ throw some light on the cost of insurances (life, contents, medical, car) and utilities.

I can slowly feel the dream of living in NZ fading!!!!!
Hi Gossage


Have you looked at the IRD website?

You may be entitled to assistance (claimable once you have residency)

If not, would you be buying or renting you property? Maybe you could take in a lodger to help with the bills??

HTH
Sarah

P.S Just realised it was your first posting on here,

Welcome to BE!! Lots of very helpful people on here who come up with very good ideas to solve problems!!!

Last edited by P2L; Mar 23rd 2007 at 5:16 pm. Reason: Didn't say hello!!!
P2L is offline  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.