Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of immigration rights

Cost of immigration rights

Old Aug 26th 2005, 3:08 am
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice
Default Cost of immigration rights

I noticed several companies charging different amounts for processing the permanent residency visa. Are these fees in addition to the governments fee?

What does the government charge? Am I nuts if I decide to apply directly instead of going through a 3rd party?

How long is the wait period now (I heard there was expected to be an increase this year)?
Old Aug 26th 2005, 7:41 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of immigration rights

Hi jgombos...

I presume the fees you are referring to are the fees charged by agencies which will differ from company to company but to be honest, the NZIS application procedure is fairly straight forward and unless your personal circumstances are less than straight forward you shouldn't really need to employ the services of an agency unless of course you choose to...

The Standard charges from NZIS are $300 to submit your EOI online, then £520 to submit your ITA followed by a Migrant Levy of £115 per person (up to a total of four persons per application = £460 max) should your application be successful.

On top of that there will also be additional costs to you for medicals and police certificates.

From submission of your EOI most people are hearing if they have been selected withing 4 -6 weeks. If selected your ITA will then be issued and is usually received just a few days later. You then have 4 months in which to return this with all of the relevant documentation. From receipt of your ITA, you will be allocated a case officer within three months and be advised of a decision in the one to three months following allocation. Unless you have a job offer in which case you are usually allocated a case officer pretty quickly and some have had approval within a week of submission!!

Hope this helps...
Old Aug 26th 2005, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by jgombos
I noticed several companies charging different amounts for processing the permanent residency visa. Are these fees in addition to the governments fee?

What does the government charge? Am I nuts if I decide to apply directly instead of going through a 3rd party?

How long is the wait period now (I heard there was expected to be an increase this year)?
Hi jgombas,
I'd agree with what Pinkie says, if you have a straight forward case it's really not worth splashing out on an agent. Fill in the EOI on the NZIS site and see if you get enough points. If you do, and you are confident you have filled it in correctly then go it alone. If you are not sure about some of the questions on the EOI, then ask on this forum. Someone will usually know the answer, and all advice is free!
Cheers,
Mark
Old Aug 26th 2005, 11:04 pm
Forum Regular

jgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nicejgombos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
The Standard charges from NZIS are $300 to submit your EOI online, then £520 to submit your ITA followed by a Migrant Levy of £115 per person (up to a total of four persons per application = £460 max) should your application be successful.
Thanks for the help Pinkie Pie. I'll probably file everything directly then.

I assume the $300 figure is in NZ dollars. What currency is the "£" symbol? Isn't that an English pound? In my case I'm fleeing from the US (yeah, I know this site is for Brits, but there's nothing like it for non-Brits).
Originally Posted by Pinkie Pie
From submission of your EOI most people are hearing if they have been selected withing 4 -6 weeks. If selected your ITA will then be issued and is usually received just a few days later. You then have 4 months in which to return this with all of the relevant documentation. From receipt of your ITA, you will be allocated a case officer within three months and be advised of a decision in the one to three months following allocation. Unless you have a job offer in which case you are usually allocated a case officer pretty quickly and some have had approval within a week of submission!!
Those time frames aren't going to kill me like I thought they were. I can handle 3/4 of a year to get everything pushed through. I was in this forum a year ago and people were warning that in Jan 2005 NZ was going to make the waiting periods painfully lengthy. Did that never happen?

BTW- once I'm accepted, how long to I have to get there? I might be tempted to pass through Hawaii, and do a 6-12 month layover before I arrive. Will I get away with that?
Old Aug 27th 2005, 8:46 am
Don't let me get me....

Pinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond reputePinkie Pie has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by jgombos
Thanks for the help Pinkie Pie. I'll probably file everything directly then.

I assume the $300 figure is in NZ dollars. What currency is the "£" symbol? Isn't that an English pound? In my case I'm fleeing from the US (yeah, I know this site is for Brits, but there's nothing like it for non-Brits).

Those time frames aren't going to kill me like I thought they were. I can handle 3/4 of a year to get everything pushed through. I was in this forum a year ago and people were warning that in Jan 2005 NZ was going to make the waiting periods painfully lengthy. Did that never happen?

BTW- once I'm accepted, how long to I have to get there? I might be tempted to pass through Hawaii, and do a 6-12 month layover before I arrive. Will I get away with that?
Yep, jgombos, the $300 is NZ dollars and the "£" is UK pounds.

They are the time frames as quoted to me just last week so I presume that they are correct!!

Once you have been approved you have up to 6 months to submit your passport to get your visa stamps put on and you then have up to one year from the date your visas are entered in which to enter NZ.

6 months in Hawaii sounds pretty nice to me...