British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cost of Housing in mount wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-housing-mount-wellington-777172/)

Padycosforbos Nov 17th 2012 3:17 pm

Re: Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10387664)
To be fair I think this is the case pretty much anywhere you go and probably not a NZ thing. If you are renting in the UK there's no way you'll be allowed a hamster, let alone a dog! If you're lucky you may be allowed fish. Fair enough I say. If I owned a property and rented it out I wouldn't want pets of any kind. I love 'em - cats, dogs, rabbits but they cause damage and it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Same goes for beaches in the UK. Dogs only allowed on certain restricted parts. Fair enough again really! No one wants to stand in a steaming heap of mess with no shoes on whilst enjoying a stroll on the beach. No parent needs to be worrying what pooch is gonna run up and knock their littluns over either. I don't think it's a case of hating dogs but more about keeping order...

Ummmm - - - have to point out here, not all animals cause damage. My dogs are house dogs,and NEVER mess in the house!. On the other hand you can get tenants (we have a house we rent out here in Ireland) who dont pay the rent, and trash your house to boot :angry_smile:! Kids can peel paper off the walls, swing on your kitchen units - - need I go on? point is yes some pets do cause damage, but this is more down to the tenant. And plenty of tenants with NO pets cause untold damage. Sadly, some folk have no morals. Sorry to get on my soap box - just saying.....

Anyway I would be happy to pay a 'bond' as I know my lads wouln't cause any damage - however, on the tiny chance something DID happen, it would be my moral obligation to fix it,to leave the property as I found it end of!! Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

and as for the beach - - responsible dog owners carry nappy bags around with them- and take home their dogs 'offerings' shame everyone doesnt do this - but hey ho, yo get lazy selfish people in every walk of life!

Pom_Chch Nov 17th 2012 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos (Post 10387680)
Ummmm - - - have to point out here, not all animals cause damage. My dogs are house dogs,and NEVER mess in the house!. On the other hand you can get tenants (we have a house we rent out here in Ireland) who dont pay the rent, and trash your house to boot :angry_smile:! Kids can peel paper off the walls, swing on your kitchen units - - need I go on? point is yes some pets do cause damage, but this is more down to the tenant. And plenty of tenants with NO pets cause untold damage. Sadly, some folk have no morals. Sorry to get on my soap box - just saying.....

Anyway I would be happy to pay a 'bond' as I know my lads wouln't cause any damage - however, on the tiny chance something DID happen, it would be my moral obligation to fix it,to leave the property as I found it end of!! Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

and as for the beach - - responsible dog owners carry nappy bags around with them- and take home their dogs 'offerings' shame everyone doesnt do this - but hey ho, yo get lazy selfish people in every walk of life!

Yep, I see where you're coming from and wasn't singling out your dogs. I'm sure they are lovely! However, if I was a landlord and a tenant wanted to move in with a dog and said "it's OK, they wont mess in the house" I would be inclined to not believe them! My mum's dog doesn't mess in the house... apart from that time she ate something funny and crapped everywhere... and I mean everywhere (including shoes). The landlord doesn't know you or know your dogs and wouldn't be willing to take the risk, which you must admit is understandable.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. I used too have a wee chap myself who is sadly no longer with us but I can also totally understand why landlords don't allow them in rentals...

Caz8NZ Nov 18th 2012 3:58 am

I want to jump back in here - I worked in London for a number of years letting out property on behalf of Landlords (not as a Letting Agent per-se - i worked directly for the Landlord).

Pets are generally not allowed in property - its not unusual. there are so many added things to take into consideration not just if the dog - or cat - is house trained. things like fleas, general wear and tear having a dog that runs about, noise and barking etc. From a Landlord's POV - every owners dog is perfect and doesn't ever bark or do anything other than curl up and sleep (??) that's the story you always hear - my dog is very quiet and well behaved. Yes some are, but some aren't. Unfortunately if you rent a property its just something that you have to deal with - generally you can't get a pet.

Padycosforbos yes the tenants themselves can be worse than a pet - i've seen it all - quite literally - its amazing how some people live. I've actually had flats that, when the tenants give notice to move, and i go and inspect to see how it is for re-letting - I can't actually show the property to prospective new tenants its that bad. and i mean BAD. you ask them to tidy - and its still BAD.

Very interesting as well that there are strong themes within different cultures - and whilst girls flats are generally kept tidier - boys flats are cleaner at the end of the tenancy.

BEVS Dec 1st 2012 4:42 am

Where you can exercise your dogs - Auckland

LINK

Hope that helps.

love30stm Dec 1st 2012 5:15 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375561)
well Pady - think twice about moving to NZ!!
It is a great place to go on holiday, the best part is the view from the window when you are leaving it!

Oh I see its the weekend, time to get your loathing for NZ off your chest again :lol:

love30stm Dec 1st 2012 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10382938)
I would consider all of Auckland as rural and I see many dogs in the city (with the exception of CBD). Real city life is basically non-existent in NZ.

Oh and here's the other happy troll again!! :rofl:

Sherlock Holmes Dec 1st 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375532)
I would not take the offer in Mt Wellington, I would apply for a job in Aus

And just how easy is it to emigrate to Oz then?

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375561)
well Pady - think twice about moving to NZ!!
It is a great place to go on holiday, the best part is the view from the window when you are leaving it!

Mate, you are getting very boring. Please stop spoiling other peoples' threads. Thank you.

sr71 Dec 4th 2012 11:32 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375505)
you wont be able to walk your four dogs on farm land as it is out of bounds.
there is not the same law as UK where there is the right to roam.
Would move to AUS if I were you.

Far worse for dog owners in Australia. There is definitely no right to roam and councils have all sorts of regulations and licenses for dogs. Compulsory microchipping and $150 a year registration fees per dog for example in Melbourne.

chris the property man Jan 6th 2013 10:15 am

Hi Padyfoscorbos

If you need the help of a real estate agent to help look for a house to buy in Mt Wellington, look no further. I work for Harcourts in Pakuranga and work in the Mt Wellington area.

I don't deal with rentals, but as and when you want to look at buying, let me know. I can help find suitable properties, give you advice on what it is worth, assist in negotiating the price or help with bidding at an auction (lots of houses are sold by auction here at the moment) etc.

This is a free service to you as real estate agents get a "finders fee" from the seller, not the buyer, for finding them a buyer.

Good luck with the move here and with finding a rental. Hope to hear from you as and when you are ready to buy.

Cheers.

Chris