Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:21 am
Forum Regular

Padycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nice
Default Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Well folks -- thinking about the big move and the job offer looks like its in Mt Wellington - now i am not one for commuting long distance and as we will have 4 dogs with us we would want the rural life -- we are wondering on locations/costs for rental/buy - a good sized 2 bed would be just dandy

any assistance would be appreciated

ps - having done a small amount of investigation it appears rentals are a lot higher than prospective mortgages!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:23 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of Housing in mount wellington

you wont be able to walk your four dogs on farm land as it is out of bounds.
there is not the same law as UK where there is the right to roam.
Would move to AUS if I were you.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:24 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

best place to look is Trademe and Open2view
they list rentals and houses for sale
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:26 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

tweetweet not helpful

if you read the post properly he states that he has a job offer in Mt Wellington, not somewhere in Aus.
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:45 am
Banned

tweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud oftweetweet has much to be proud of

I would not take the offer in Mt Wellington, I would apply for a job in Aus
Old Nov 10th 2012, 8:57 am

thats your choice but Padycosforbos was asking about accommodation in NZ not Aus and he can only suss out if he would want to move here if he has all the information he is asking for, not if you (other members) would take a job in Mt Wellington
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:00 am
Banned

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
thats your choice but Padycosforbos was asking about accommodation in NZ not Aus and he can only suss out if he would want to move here if he has all the information he is asking for, not if you (other members) would take a job in Mt Wellington
well Pady - think twice about moving to NZ!!
It is a great place to go on holiday, the best part is the view from the window when you are leaving it!
Old Nov 10th 2012, 9:06 am

Padycosforbos - as you can see some people have good times here and some don't. Some choose to leave as it didn't work out and some leave just because they miss friends and family. Yet there are always people wanting to come over and try it out.

Hopefully the sites I mentioned will be of some help to you
Old Nov 10th 2012, 2:03 pm
Forum Regular

Padycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nice

Padycosforbos - as you can see some people have good times here and some don't. Some choose to leave as it didn't work out and some leave just because they miss friends and family. Yet there are always people wanting to come over and try it out.

Hopefully the sites I mentioned will be of some help to you
Thank you MrsFychan - appreciate your help. Can you advise, is it less expensive to buy than rent?
Old Nov 10th 2012, 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos
Can you advise, is it less expensive to buy than rent?
it depends on where it is and what sort of property. mortgage here for us is much more expensive than the rental we had. But the rental we had was awful, single glazed windows which lead to weeping constantly, no heating so we had to fork out for heaters for the rooms and that added to the utility bill. Husband viewed it in summer but the shortest lease we could get was 6mths and that took us into winter. I can honestly say some days it made me cry (but then I am a whinging pom ) and you need to make sure and realise that the winters here are Wet and Windy and if you take on a years rental you will need to make sure the house is heated, double glazed or suck up the bills and cold. The rental would of been a lovely property if the landlord actually spent the Bond money on repairing damage previous tenants had caused and put heating and/or double glazing.
We called the rental "the shed" and the house we bought "the deluxe shed" Deluxe because it does have heat pumps and double glazing but I can say I so so miss central heating which is not available where we are as the Pukerua Bay does not have piped gas.

The mortgage we got is on par with what we had in the UK but the area is nicer here, the section is bigger and it's detached unlike the terrace we had in the UK, which although in a fairly nice area and was also 4 bedroom, well 3 and a box room, the garden was small and the view was just other houses. Here we have other house views but not many and we are surrounded by hills with sheep and cows bounding around, except for today as there is mist on them and sleet whirling around obscuring it.

opps that went on a bit, Trademe and Open2View has both rentals and sales so you should be able to get a good feel for the property you require and the costs.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:00 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

Something to know about Auckland is that you can only have a certain amount of dogs per property. You are only allowed one and more than one will require a permit from the council if they deem that the property is suitable.
This is within the isthmus area. Maybe moving out to Franklin or MAnujau might make it easier. Not sure.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:20 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by tweetweet
you wont be able to walk your four dogs on farm land as it is out of bounds.
there is not the same law as UK where there is the right to roam.
Good grief. Good job it is too. You can't expect to roam through someone elses farm with 4 dogs in tow with very expensive prime beef grazing. In NZ, they'd probably rightly be given a cattle prod up the rear and I would be the first to personally administer it, in Aus they'd probably shoot first and ask questions later.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:26 am

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos
Well folks -- thinking about the big move and the job offer looks like its in Mt Wellington - now i am not one for commuting long distance and as we will have 4 dogs with us we would want the rural life -- we are wondering on locations/costs for rental/buy - a good sized 2 bed would be just dandy

any assistance would be appreciated

ps - having done a small amount of investigation it appears rentals are a lot higher than prospective mortgages!
Mt Wellington is fairly smack bang city life (by NZ's standards) unfortunately Pady. You'd probably need to be looking for somewhere like Ramarama, Karaka, Pukekohe area for some country living, and somewhere to keep 4 dogs. Having said that, it wouldn't be a long trip up and down the southern motorway for your work. That would be the sort of area I'd be looking into, based on what you have said about wanting a taste of some rural life. There's nothing rural in the immediate vicinity of Mt Wellington.

Last edited by waikatoguy; Nov 11th 2012 at 8:57 am.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 8:41 am
Forum Regular

Charlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant futureCharlie Paynter has a brilliant future

We called the rental "the shed" and the house we bought "the deluxe shed" Deluxe because it does have heat pumps and double glazing but I can say I so so miss central heating which is not available where we are as the Pukerua Bay does not have piped gas.
Where about are you in Pukerua bay? Just interested as I grew up there in the 70's, and my parents built a house in Rawhiti Road (tennis club end).
Old Nov 11th 2012, 1:12 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by tweetweet
I would not take the offer in Mt Wellington, I would apply for a job in Aus
Thanks tweetweet for the advice.

But much as though I like the sunshine.... I prefer the seasons, the constant heat in Oz would be lovely for a holiday but not somewhere I would like to live.

Plus Visa... My job/experience is sought after in NZ, so a visa would be no problem and the company will sort it out for me

And..... I am ******* terrified of snakes I wouldnt sleep thinking one had slithered into me bed

Ssso, all in all I see NZ as a good option for me

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.