British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Cost of Housing in mount wellington (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-housing-mount-wellington-777172/)

Padycosforbos Nov 10th 2012 8:21 am

Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Well folks -- thinking about the big move and the job offer looks like its in Mt Wellington - now i am not one for commuting long distance and as we will have 4 dogs with us we would want the rural life -- we are wondering on locations/costs for rental/buy - a good sized 2 bed would be just dandy

any assistance would be appreciated

ps - having done a small amount of investigation it appears rentals are a lot higher than prospective mortgages!

tweetweet Nov 10th 2012 8:23 am

Re: Cost of Housing in mount wellington

you wont be able to walk your four dogs on farm land as it is out of bounds.
there is not the same law as UK where there is the right to roam.
Would move to AUS if I were you.

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2012 8:24 am

best place to look is Trademe and Open2view
they list rentals and houses for sale

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2012 8:26 am

tweetweet not helpful

if you read the post properly he states that he has a job offer in Mt Wellington, not somewhere in Aus.

tweetweet Nov 10th 2012 8:45 am

I would not take the offer in Mt Wellington, I would apply for a job in Aus

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2012 8:57 am

thats your choice but Padycosforbos was asking about accommodation in NZ not Aus and he can only suss out if he would want to move here if he has all the information he is asking for, not if you (other members) would take a job in Mt Wellington

tweetweet Nov 10th 2012 9:00 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10375557)
thats your choice but Padycosforbos was asking about accommodation in NZ not Aus and he can only suss out if he would want to move here if he has all the information he is asking for, not if you (other members) would take a job in Mt Wellington

well Pady - think twice about moving to NZ!!
It is a great place to go on holiday, the best part is the view from the window when you are leaving it!

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2012 9:06 am

Padycosforbos - as you can see some people have good times here and some don't. Some choose to leave as it didn't work out and some leave just because they miss friends and family. Yet there are always people wanting to come over and try it out.

Hopefully the sites I mentioned will be of some help to you

Padycosforbos Nov 10th 2012 2:03 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10375572)
Padycosforbos - as you can see some people have good times here and some don't. Some choose to leave as it didn't work out and some leave just because they miss friends and family. Yet there are always people wanting to come over and try it out.

Hopefully the sites I mentioned will be of some help to you

Thank you MrsFychan - :D appreciate your help. Can you advise, is it less expensive to buy than rent?

MrsFychan Nov 10th 2012 7:35 pm

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos (Post 10375826)
Can you advise, is it less expensive to buy than rent?

it depends on where it is and what sort of property. mortgage here for us is much more expensive than the rental we had. But the rental we had was awful, single glazed windows which lead to weeping constantly, no heating so we had to fork out for heaters for the rooms and that added to the utility bill. Husband viewed it in summer but the shortest lease we could get was 6mths and that took us into winter. I can honestly say some days it made me cry (but then I am a whinging pom :D ) and you need to make sure and realise that the winters here are Wet and Windy and if you take on a years rental you will need to make sure the house is heated, double glazed or suck up the bills and cold. The rental would of been a lovely property if the landlord actually spent the Bond money on repairing damage previous tenants had caused and put heating and/or double glazing.
We called the rental "the shed" and the house we bought "the deluxe shed" Deluxe because it does have heat pumps and double glazing but I can say I so so miss central heating which is not available where we are as the Pukerua Bay does not have piped gas.

The mortgage we got is on par with what we had in the UK but the area is nicer here, the section is bigger and it's detached unlike the terrace we had in the UK, which although in a fairly nice area and was also 4 bedroom, well 3 and a box room, the garden was small and the view was just other houses. Here we have other house views but not many and we are surrounded by hills with sheep and cows bounding around, except for today as there is mist on them and sleet whirling around obscuring it.

opps that went on a bit, Trademe and Open2View has both rentals and sales so you should be able to get a good feel for the property you require and the costs.

pricklykina Nov 11th 2012 8:00 am

Something to know about Auckland is that you can only have a certain amount of dogs per property. You are only allowed one and more than one will require a permit from the council if they deem that the property is suitable.
This is within the isthmus area. Maybe moving out to Franklin or MAnujau might make it easier. Not sure.

waikatoguy Nov 11th 2012 8:20 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375505)

Good grief. Good job it is too. You can't expect to roam through someone elses farm with 4 dogs in tow with very expensive prime beef grazing. In NZ, they'd probably rightly be given a cattle prod up the rear and I would be the first to personally administer it, in Aus they'd probably shoot first and ask questions later.

waikatoguy Nov 11th 2012 8:26 am

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos (Post 10375502)
Well folks -- thinking about the big move and the job offer looks like its in Mt Wellington - now i am not one for commuting long distance and as we will have 4 dogs with us we would want the rural life -- we are wondering on locations/costs for rental/buy - a good sized 2 bed would be just dandy

any assistance would be appreciated

ps - having done a small amount of investigation it appears rentals are a lot higher than prospective mortgages!

Mt Wellington is fairly smack bang city life (by NZ's standards) unfortunately Pady. You'd probably need to be looking for somewhere like Ramarama, Karaka, Pukekohe area for some country living, and somewhere to keep 4 dogs. Having said that, it wouldn't be a long trip up and down the southern motorway for your work. That would be the sort of area I'd be looking into, based on what you have said about wanting a taste of some rural life. There's nothing rural in the immediate vicinity of Mt Wellington.

Charlie Paynter Nov 11th 2012 8:41 am

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10376133)
We called the rental "the shed" and the house we bought "the deluxe shed" Deluxe because it does have heat pumps and double glazing but I can say I so so miss central heating which is not available where we are as the Pukerua Bay does not have piped gas.

Where about are you in Pukerua bay? Just interested as I grew up there in the 70's, and my parents built a house in Rawhiti Road (tennis club end).

Padycosforbos Nov 11th 2012 1:12 pm

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375532)

Thanks tweetweet for the advice.

But much as though I like the sunshine.... I prefer the seasons, the constant heat in Oz would be lovely for a holiday but not somewhere I would like to live.

Plus Visa... My job/experience is sought after in NZ, so a visa would be no problem and the company will sort it out for me

And..... I am ******* terrified of snakes :o I wouldnt sleep thinking one had slithered into me bed :ohmy:

Ssso, all in all I see NZ as a good option for me :fingerscrossed:

MrsFychan Nov 11th 2012 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by mpg (Post 10376700)
Where about are you in Pukerua bay? Just interested as I grew up there in the 70's, and my parents built a house in Rawhiti Road (tennis club end).

We ended up buying in Gray Street but did rental for 6mths in Rawhiti, t'other end though just in from Wairaka. lovely place. where are you now?

Caz8NZ Nov 11th 2012 10:05 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10376133)
realise that the winters here are Wet and Windy and if you take on a years rental you will need to make sure the house is heated, double glazed or suck up the bills and cold.............................................. .....opps that went on a bit, Trademe and Open2View has both rentals and sales so you should be able to get a good feel for the property you require and the costs.

Mrs Fychan makes relevant points - however the weather and climate in Auckland is much milder than Wellington. It does get cold and even very wet in the winter, the wind isn't anywhere near the same - but its not too bad most of the time. Last winter I think we only had a few really cold (1 or 2degrees) nights - plenty of rain though.

I was living in a wooden villa last winter - which apparently had insulation, but no double glazing, but we did have an HRV system which helps with the condensation. It wasn't too bad heating wise. We had a heat pump in the living room/kitchen area - this is the cheapest way to heat. I had an electric convention radiator for my room which was pretty powerful so stuck it on full blast to heat the room up and then turned on lower thermostat. All in all it wasn't too bad.

Originally Posted by pricklykina (Post 10376671)
Something to know about Auckland is that you can only have a certain amount of dogs per property. You are only allowed one and more than one will require a permit from the council if they deem that the property is suitable.
This is within the isthmus area. Maybe moving out to Franklin or MAnujau might make it easier. Not sure.

Originally Posted by waikatoguy (Post 10376690)
Mt Wellington is fairly smack bang city life (by NZ's standards) unfortunately Pady. You'd probably need to be looking for somewhere like Ramarama, Karaka, Pukekohe area for some country living, and somewhere to keep 4 dogs. Having said that, it wouldn't be a long trip up and down the southern motorway for your work. That would be the sort of area I'd be looking into, based on what you have said about wanting a taste of some rural life. There's nothing rural in the immediate vicinity of Mt Wellington.

You'll have to check on the dog thingy then - but I would say that Mount Wellington would not be my first choice of places to live. Don't get me wrong - it is very popular but I don't personally see the attraction....doesn't really have much "personality" to me. I don't know what you consider too much of a commute but you have a lot of much nicer options around and about Mt Wellington....if you just look on google maps - anywhere really south or to the south west or east, south east.....its all a bit more rural.....i say that - you want to take the chunk of south auckland out which is from kinda south of Mount Wellington down to Papakura.:D

waikatoguy Nov 11th 2012 10:34 pm

I guess we should add that having 4 dogs is going to make it a bit harder to find a rental.

Caz8NZ Nov 11th 2012 10:35 pm

ah yeah there is that bit to consider too Waikatoguy!

Moomoo Nov 12th 2012 6:01 am

Hi

You could try Whitford, Clevedon, Ardmore surrounds for a rural rental, although some rural rentals still do not allow pets. You would need a permit for 4 dogs if you are not in a rural district. We brought 3 dogs over with us and rented rural at Whitford for 18 months with 5 acres and when we bought a house in a residential area it was no problem applying for the permit.

You could try a bit further south in Franklin for a rental and you can go straight up the motorway to work, but it can get very busy peak times.

:)

Padycosforbos Nov 12th 2012 8:31 pm

Originally Posted by Moomoo (Post 10377726)
Hi

You could try Whitford, Clevedon, Ardmore surrounds for a rural rental, although some rural rentals still do not allow pets. You would need a permit for 4 dogs if you are not in a rural district. We brought 3 dogs over with us and rented rural at Whitford for 18 months with 5 acres and when we bought a house in a residential area it was no problem applying for the permit.

You could try a bit further south in Franklin for a rental and you can go straight up the motorway to work, but it can get very busy peak times.

:)

Thank you :-) did you find it difficult finding rental with your k9family? Mine are house dogs, my kids! I would have no problem paying a bigger bond if required - how difficult is it to find a decent rental (my wife wont stay in a dump lol) when you have dogs?

Moomoo Nov 12th 2012 11:29 pm

Hi

I think our dogs were supposed to be outside but it was never written down and I wouldn't have left them outside all the time anyway - they did have their crates in the garage and liked to spend time outside but slept mostly indoors and I made sure carpets and paintwork were kept clean and tidy :) we didn't pay extra bond but would have been prepared to :)

Assanah Nov 14th 2012 8:20 pm

I would consider all of Auckland as rural and I see many dogs in the city (with the exception of CBD). Real city life is basically non-existent in NZ.

Caz8NZ Nov 14th 2012 8:33 pm

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10382938)
I would consider all of Auckland as rural and I see many dogs in the city (with the exception of CBD). Real city life is basically non-existent in NZ.

:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: oh you do come out with some funny statements!

MrsFychan Nov 14th 2012 10:59 pm

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ (Post 10382953)
:rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl: oh you do come out with some funny statements!

do you think he does stand up in his spare time?

Caz8NZ Nov 14th 2012 11:36 pm

Originally Posted by MrsFychan (Post 10383168)
do you think he does stand up in his spare time?

I hope not. Not THAT funny. I over exagarated a little. Just like him ;-)

Padycosforbos Nov 15th 2012 10:01 pm

Well lads what can i say yee brits aren't so bad after all - yea I am the Paddy in this relationship with the better half a Yorkie

Listen yee have been great and I cant wait to get my map of Akld up on the wall with my box of tum tacks marking up these spots you mentioned

All the best for now and the first drink when we meet is on me:thumbsup:

Any more suggestions for a Paddy with 4 mutts and the missus would be mightilly appreciated

sarahw Nov 16th 2012 8:08 am

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos (Post 10379020)
Thank you :-) did you find it difficult finding rental with your k9family? Mine are house dogs, my kids! I would have no problem paying a bigger bond if required - how difficult is it to find a decent rental (my wife wont stay in a dump lol) when you have dogs?

I think you may find it really hard to find a rental with 4 dogs. I found my dog when he was put up for adoption as his owners lost money with one of the finance companies and had to sell their house. They had such difficulty finding a rental place that would allow one dog that in the end they had no choice but to rehome their dog - my gain though! ;)

You might want to explore kennels in the short term for them so you're not under too much pressure to find somewhere to live straightaway. K9Heaven looks quite nice although we've not tried it yet. Good luck!

mikesurf Nov 17th 2012 11:33 am

You would probably expect NZ to be a dog friendly country but in my experience it is far from it. It's a nightmare trying to find a rental with a dog, no matter which area you are in. Most beaches only allow dogs on them during stupid hours, like afterdark. The only way you will get housing with 4 dogs is if you buy a property.

Pom_Chch Nov 17th 2012 2:57 pm

Originally Posted by mikesurf (Post 10387426)
You would probably expect NZ to be a dog friendly country but in my experience it is far from it. It's a nightmare trying to find a rental with a dog, no matter which area you are in. Most beaches only allow dogs on them during stupid hours, like afterdark. The only way you will get housing with 4 dogs is if you buy a property.

To be fair I think this is the case pretty much anywhere you go and probably not a NZ thing. If you are renting in the UK there's no way you'll be allowed a hamster, let alone a dog! If you're lucky you may be allowed fish. Fair enough I say. If I owned a property and rented it out I wouldn't want pets of any kind. I love 'em - cats, dogs, rabbits but they cause damage and it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Same goes for beaches in the UK. Dogs only allowed on certain restricted parts. Fair enough again really! No one wants to stand in a steaming heap of mess with no shoes on whilst enjoying a stroll on the beach. No parent needs to be worrying what pooch is gonna run up and knock their littluns over either. I don't think it's a case of hating dogs but more about keeping order...

Padycosforbos Nov 17th 2012 3:17 pm

Originally Posted by Pom_Chch (Post 10387664)
To be fair I think this is the case pretty much anywhere you go and probably not a NZ thing. If you are renting in the UK there's no way you'll be allowed a hamster, let alone a dog! If you're lucky you may be allowed fish. Fair enough I say. If I owned a property and rented it out I wouldn't want pets of any kind. I love 'em - cats, dogs, rabbits but they cause damage and it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Same goes for beaches in the UK. Dogs only allowed on certain restricted parts. Fair enough again really! No one wants to stand in a steaming heap of mess with no shoes on whilst enjoying a stroll on the beach. No parent needs to be worrying what pooch is gonna run up and knock their littluns over either. I don't think it's a case of hating dogs but more about keeping order...

Ummmm - - - have to point out here, not all animals cause damage. My dogs are house dogs,and NEVER mess in the house!. On the other hand you can get tenants (we have a house we rent out here in Ireland) who dont pay the rent, and trash your house to boot :angry_smile:! Kids can peel paper off the walls, swing on your kitchen units - - need I go on? point is yes some pets do cause damage, but this is more down to the tenant. And plenty of tenants with NO pets cause untold damage. Sadly, some folk have no morals. Sorry to get on my soap box - just saying.....

Anyway I would be happy to pay a 'bond' as I know my lads wouln't cause any damage - however, on the tiny chance something DID happen, it would be my moral obligation to fix it,to leave the property as I found it end of!! Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

and as for the beach - - responsible dog owners carry nappy bags around with them- and take home their dogs 'offerings' shame everyone doesnt do this - but hey ho, yo get lazy selfish people in every walk of life!

Pom_Chch Nov 17th 2012 3:28 pm

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos (Post 10387680)
Ummmm - - - have to point out here, not all animals cause damage. My dogs are house dogs,and NEVER mess in the house!. On the other hand you can get tenants (we have a house we rent out here in Ireland) who dont pay the rent, and trash your house to boot :angry_smile:! Kids can peel paper off the walls, swing on your kitchen units - - need I go on? point is yes some pets do cause damage, but this is more down to the tenant. And plenty of tenants with NO pets cause untold damage. Sadly, some folk have no morals. Sorry to get on my soap box - just saying.....

Anyway I would be happy to pay a 'bond' as I know my lads wouln't cause any damage - however, on the tiny chance something DID happen, it would be my moral obligation to fix it,to leave the property as I found it end of!! Treat others as you would like to be treated yourself.

and as for the beach - - responsible dog owners carry nappy bags around with them- and take home their dogs 'offerings' shame everyone doesnt do this - but hey ho, yo get lazy selfish people in every walk of life!

Yep, I see where you're coming from and wasn't singling out your dogs. I'm sure they are lovely! However, if I was a landlord and a tenant wanted to move in with a dog and said "it's OK, they wont mess in the house" I would be inclined to not believe them! My mum's dog doesn't mess in the house... apart from that time she ate something funny and crapped everywhere... and I mean everywhere (including shoes). The landlord doesn't know you or know your dogs and wouldn't be willing to take the risk, which you must admit is understandable.

Don't get me wrong, I love dogs. I used too have a wee chap myself who is sadly no longer with us but I can also totally understand why landlords don't allow them in rentals...

Caz8NZ Nov 18th 2012 3:58 am

I want to jump back in here - I worked in London for a number of years letting out property on behalf of Landlords (not as a Letting Agent per-se - i worked directly for the Landlord).

Pets are generally not allowed in property - its not unusual. there are so many added things to take into consideration not just if the dog - or cat - is house trained. things like fleas, general wear and tear having a dog that runs about, noise and barking etc. From a Landlord's POV - every owners dog is perfect and doesn't ever bark or do anything other than curl up and sleep (??) that's the story you always hear - my dog is very quiet and well behaved. Yes some are, but some aren't. Unfortunately if you rent a property its just something that you have to deal with - generally you can't get a pet.

Padycosforbos yes the tenants themselves can be worse than a pet - i've seen it all - quite literally - its amazing how some people live. I've actually had flats that, when the tenants give notice to move, and i go and inspect to see how it is for re-letting - I can't actually show the property to prospective new tenants its that bad. and i mean BAD. you ask them to tidy - and its still BAD.

Very interesting as well that there are strong themes within different cultures - and whilst girls flats are generally kept tidier - boys flats are cleaner at the end of the tenancy.

BEVS Dec 1st 2012 4:42 am

Where you can exercise your dogs - Auckland

LINK

Hope that helps.

love30stm Dec 1st 2012 5:15 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375561)
It is a great place to go on holiday, the best part is the view from the window when you are leaving it!

Oh I see its the weekend, time to get your loathing for NZ off your chest again :lol:

love30stm Dec 1st 2012 5:17 am

Originally Posted by Assanah (Post 10382938)

Oh and here's the other happy troll again!! :rofl:

Sherlock Holmes Dec 1st 2012 6:12 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375532)

And just how easy is it to emigrate to Oz then?

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375561)

Mate, you are getting very boring. Please stop spoiling other peoples' threads. Thank you.

sr71 Dec 4th 2012 11:32 am

Originally Posted by tweetweet (Post 10375505)
Would move to AUS if I were you.

Far worse for dog owners in Australia. There is definitely no right to roam and councils have all sorts of regulations and licenses for dogs. Compulsory microchipping and $150 a year registration fees per dog for example in Melbourne.

chris the property man Jan 6th 2013 10:15 am

Hi Padyfoscorbos

If you need the help of a real estate agent to help look for a house to buy in Mt Wellington, look no further. I work for Harcourts in Pakuranga and work in the Mt Wellington area.

I don't deal with rentals, but as and when you want to look at buying, let me know. I can help find suitable properties, give you advice on what it is worth, assist in negotiating the price or help with bidding at an auction (lots of houses are sold by auction here at the moment) etc.

This is a free service to you as real estate agents get a "finders fee" from the seller, not the buyer, for finding them a buyer.

Good luck with the move here and with finding a rental. Hope to hear from you as and when you are ready to buy.

Cheers.

Chris