Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Old Nov 11th 2012, 5:58 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Housing in mount wellington

Originally Posted by mpg
Where about are you in Pukerua bay? Just interested as I grew up there in the 70's, and my parents built a house in Rawhiti Road (tennis club end).
We ended up buying in Gray Street but did rental for 6mths in Rawhiti, t'other end though just in from Wairaka. lovely place. where are you now?
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
realise that the winters here are Wet and Windy and if you take on a years rental you will need to make sure the house is heated, double glazed or suck up the bills and cold.............................................. .....opps that went on a bit, Trademe and Open2View has both rentals and sales so you should be able to get a good feel for the property you require and the costs.
Mrs Fychan makes relevant points - however the weather and climate in Auckland is much milder than Wellington. It does get cold and even very wet in the winter, the wind isn't anywhere near the same - but its not too bad most of the time. Last winter I think we only had a few really cold (1 or 2degrees) nights - plenty of rain though.

I was living in a wooden villa last winter - which apparently had insulation, but no double glazing, but we did have an HRV system which helps with the condensation. It wasn't too bad heating wise. We had a heat pump in the living room/kitchen area - this is the cheapest way to heat. I had an electric convention radiator for my room which was pretty powerful so stuck it on full blast to heat the room up and then turned on lower thermostat. All in all it wasn't too bad.

Originally Posted by pricklykina
Something to know about Auckland is that you can only have a certain amount of dogs per property. You are only allowed one and more than one will require a permit from the council if they deem that the property is suitable.
This is within the isthmus area. Maybe moving out to Franklin or MAnujau might make it easier. Not sure.
Originally Posted by waikatoguy
Mt Wellington is fairly smack bang city life (by NZ's standards) unfortunately Pady. You'd probably need to be looking for somewhere like Ramarama, Karaka, Pukekohe area for some country living, and somewhere to keep 4 dogs. Having said that, it wouldn't be a long trip up and down the southern motorway for your work. That would be the sort of area I'd be looking into, based on what you have said about wanting a taste of some rural life. There's nothing rural in the immediate vicinity of Mt Wellington.
You'll have to check on the dog thingy then - but I would say that Mount Wellington would not be my first choice of places to live. Don't get me wrong - it is very popular but I don't personally see the attraction....doesn't really have much "personality" to me. I don't know what you consider too much of a commute but you have a lot of much nicer options around and about Mt Wellington....if you just look on google maps - anywhere really south or to the south west or east, south east.....its all a bit more rural.....i say that - you want to take the chunk of south auckland out which is from kinda south of Mount Wellington down to Papakura.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:34 pm

waikatoguy is an unknown quantity at this point

I guess we should add that having 4 dogs is going to make it a bit harder to find a rental.
Old Nov 11th 2012, 10:35 pm
BE Enthusiast

Caz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond reputeCaz8NZ has a reputation beyond repute

ah yeah there is that bit to consider too Waikatoguy!
Old Nov 12th 2012, 6:01 am
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

You could try Whitford, Clevedon, Ardmore surrounds for a rural rental, although some rural rentals still do not allow pets. You would need a permit for 4 dogs if you are not in a rural district. We brought 3 dogs over with us and rented rural at Whitford for 18 months with 5 acres and when we bought a house in a residential area it was no problem applying for the permit.

You could try a bit further south in Franklin for a rental and you can go straight up the motorway to work, but it can get very busy peak times.

Old Nov 12th 2012, 8:31 pm
Forum Regular

Padycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nice

Originally Posted by Moomoo
Hi

You could try Whitford, Clevedon, Ardmore surrounds for a rural rental, although some rural rentals still do not allow pets. You would need a permit for 4 dogs if you are not in a rural district. We brought 3 dogs over with us and rented rural at Whitford for 18 months with 5 acres and when we bought a house in a residential area it was no problem applying for the permit.

You could try a bit further south in Franklin for a rental and you can go straight up the motorway to work, but it can get very busy peak times.

Thank you :-) did you find it difficult finding rental with your k9family? Mine are house dogs, my kids! I would have no problem paying a bigger bond if required - how difficult is it to find a decent rental (my wife wont stay in a dump lol) when you have dogs?
Old Nov 12th 2012, 11:29 pm
Forum Regular

Moomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond reputeMoomoo has a reputation beyond repute

Hi

I think our dogs were supposed to be outside but it was never written down and I wouldn't have left them outside all the time anyway - they did have their crates in the garage and liked to spend time outside but slept mostly indoors and I made sure carpets and paintwork were kept clean and tidy we didn't pay extra bond but would have been prepared to
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Assanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond reputeAssanah has a reputation beyond repute

I would consider all of Auckland as rural and I see many dogs in the city (with the exception of CBD). Real city life is basically non-existent in NZ.
Old Nov 14th 2012, 8:33 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Assanah
I would consider all of Auckland as rural and I see many dogs in the city (with the exception of CBD). Real city life is basically non-existent in NZ.
oh you do come out with some funny statements!
Old Nov 14th 2012, 10:59 pm

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Caz8NZ
oh you do come out with some funny statements!
do you think he does stand up in his spare time?
Old Nov 14th 2012, 11:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
do you think he does stand up in his spare time?
I hope not. Not THAT funny. I over exagarated a little. Just like him ;-)
Old Nov 15th 2012, 10:01 pm
Forum Regular

Padycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nicePadycosforbos is just really nice

Well lads what can i say yee brits aren't so bad after all - yea I am the Paddy in this relationship with the better half a Yorkie

Listen yee have been great and I cant wait to get my map of Akld up on the wall with my box of tum tacks marking up these spots you mentioned

All the best for now and the first drink when we meet is on me

Any more suggestions for a Paddy with 4 mutts and the missus would be mightilly appreciated
Old Nov 16th 2012, 8:08 am
Forum Regular

sarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond reputesarahw has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Padycosforbos
Thank you :-) did you find it difficult finding rental with your k9family? Mine are house dogs, my kids! I would have no problem paying a bigger bond if required - how difficult is it to find a decent rental (my wife wont stay in a dump lol) when you have dogs?
I think you may find it really hard to find a rental with 4 dogs. I found my dog when he was put up for adoption as his owners lost money with one of the finance companies and had to sell their house. They had such difficulty finding a rental place that would allow one dog that in the end they had no choice but to rehome their dog - my gain though!

You might want to explore kennels in the short term for them so you're not under too much pressure to find somewhere to live straightaway. K9Heaven looks quite nice although we've not tried it yet. Good luck!
Old Nov 17th 2012, 11:33 am
Banned

mikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to allmikesurf is a name known to all

You would probably expect NZ to be a dog friendly country but in my experience it is far from it. It's a nightmare trying to find a rental with a dog, no matter which area you are in. Most beaches only allow dogs on them during stupid hours, like afterdark. The only way you will get housing with 4 dogs is if you buy a property.
Old Nov 17th 2012, 2:57 pm
She'll be right

Pom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond reputePom_Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by mikesurf
You would probably expect NZ to be a dog friendly country but in my experience it is far from it. It's a nightmare trying to find a rental with a dog, no matter which area you are in. Most beaches only allow dogs on them during stupid hours, like afterdark. The only way you will get housing with 4 dogs is if you buy a property.
To be fair I think this is the case pretty much anywhere you go and probably not a NZ thing. If you are renting in the UK there's no way you'll be allowed a hamster, let alone a dog! If you're lucky you may be allowed fish. Fair enough I say. If I owned a property and rented it out I wouldn't want pets of any kind. I love 'em - cats, dogs, rabbits but they cause damage and it wouldn't be worth the hassle.

Same goes for beaches in the UK. Dogs only allowed on certain restricted parts. Fair enough again really! No one wants to stand in a steaming heap of mess with no shoes on whilst enjoying a stroll on the beach. No parent needs to be worrying what pooch is gonna run up and knock their littluns over either. I don't think it's a case of hating dogs but more about keeping order...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.