Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.

Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.

Old Jul 17th 2014, 5:29 am
Just Joined

KiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud ofKiwiDreamer has much to be proud of
Default Re: Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.

We moved with Crown. It was the icing on the cake.
Attached Thumbnails Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.-crown-china-1.jpg   Cost of (and experiences) shipping UK to NZ.-crown-china-2.jpg  
Old Jul 18th 2014, 12:23 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by napierlass
Tommy Luck can you remember what your cubic foot was please. We only have 500 which is half a container and would love to get it for 2K. Currently have 4 different quotes but then they all quote different cubic feet too which isn't helping. We aren't taking any beds or white goods so definitely not a whole container needed x Cheers in advance x

Apologies for the dealy.

I just dug out the invoice and we took up 376 CuFt and used a shared container.

We didn't have that much stuff, probably less than most and as such only insured for £8,500 of stuff.

All told, to move from London to Auckland including PSS packing the stuff, the insurance, and dropping off to the nominated address in Auckland the bill came to £2,222.88.
Old Jul 24th 2014, 3:17 pm
Just Joined

nzbone is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi everyone,

I am a kiwi returning home and am going through the processes of getting quotes.

They are all coming out about the same I think.Anyone know what MAF charges? I am taking a 20ft container with a car and some household effects.

I was told that car with definitely be checked which is $350NZD and household effects is a maybe. Thoughts.

My friends in NZ have always moved with NZVL and have not had any troubles but seems the message here is not to NZVan Lines.

How about crown?

The most important thing for me is the car

Thanks for the advice.
Old Aug 5th 2014, 8:13 pm
Just Joined

Mleach is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi am moving to NZ, Napier, we have toys and bits and bobs, not huge amounts but awkward stuff to pack because of sizing. So far I have PSS, White & co, crown, robinsons, Percival's, john mason and convoys to look at for moving our stuff. Any advice, warnings, recommendations would be very helpful.
Thanks
Old Aug 7th 2014, 6:58 am
Just Joined

lavalamp is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi

We moved out on the 2nd June. We had 3 quotes from PSS, Anglo Pacific and Pickfords. We went with PSS because they were the most professional. Pickfords quote was just a scribbled sheet with items missing. PSS was all typed out and listed everything, plus they were cheaper. It cost us £3,400 for a 20ft container door to door. They use NZ Vanlines this end. They have been in touch with us the whole time. They helped me out when I was stuck with one of the forms. The shipping arrived at the weekend and the container is being delivered to our new house on Monday. Had to pay MAF $350 for some of our boxes to be inspected. They are doing this at the house.
For the insurance we went with Letton Percival because there's was cheaper for more cover.
Hope this is of help.

Last edited by lavalamp; Aug 7th 2014 at 7:00 am.
Old Aug 7th 2014, 7:34 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

If its just a few boxes and not your furniture etc, I have used Seven Seas a couple of times - relatively cheap and certainly easy. The more you ship the cheaper the per box price becomes.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:52 am
Just Joined

peterrgadams is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,have you got your head round all the paperwork-biosecurity checks etc.We want to do exactly the same but have yet to figure it all out
Old Aug 17th 2014, 8:54 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by peterrgadams
Hi there,have you got your head round all the paperwork-biosecurity checks etc.We want to do exactly the same but have yet to figure it all out
I'm sure your removal company will be able to assist. It seems some are more vigilant than others so in the end does come down to what your preferred shipper will allow.
Old Aug 17th 2014, 9:04 am

MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by nzbone
Hi everyone,
I was told that car with definitely be checked which is $350NZD

The most important thing for me is the car

Thanks for the advice.
the car is going to cost more than that as you have to get it WOF'ed and Registered.

Cost us $70 to get it delivered to the VTNZ inspection point, then you need to get it registered, buy plates, get it inspected then pay for the WOF. can't remember how much but thinking nearer $1500 ? I remember he visit to the
Custom Office was about $80
Old Sep 15th 2014, 9:21 pm
Just Joined

Coleyheb is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi there,
just a quick post in response to the odd post here and there in respect of additional cost at this end charged by the NZ Carrier. I'm just going through the process of shipping my stuff and will post my experience once it has arrived!!
As I understand it the UK Shipping companies offers a door to door service and you should get an official quote form them for door to door. My quote excluded certain charges at this end in respect of MAFF Charges and any Port Charges levied due to unforeseen unloading delays. There should be no other charges!! The carriers here are subcontractors of the UK Shippers and thus should try to claim any additional costs from the person they are contracted by.....not the customer. The UK Shipper can then only charge on those costs which are excluded in their contract.
From some of the posts here we should start trying to nail the UK shippers down as they offer a door to door service and are thus responsible for the quality of service till the goods are unpacked and in place at this end. They should be entering into tough discussions with their subcontractors for any additional costs.
Any other thoughts on this and any issues this end with the carriers would be appreciated.
I suggest the person unhappy with NZ Van Lines and the loss of some of their boxes should make a complaint to the UK Shipper if it was they who contracted them.
Old Sep 16th 2014, 4:18 am
Forum Regular

Northern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of lightNorthern Henry is a glorious beacon of light

Originally Posted by MrsFychan
the car is going to cost more than that as you have to get it WOF'ed and Registered.

Cost us $70 to get it delivered to the VTNZ inspection point, then you need to get it registered, buy plates, get it inspected then pay for the WOF. can't remember how much but thinking nearer $1500 ? I remember he visit to the
Custom Office was about $80
Ours arrived and:
"We opened the container and noticed spider / spiders", closed and rentokill in to fumigate the sole use car container.....
One days container detention
Fumigation costs
Circa few hundred dollars.....

Had the argument about who's spider it was, in the container not in the car... But got nowhere...
I'd put a couple of $1k's to one side for car costs...
Old Sep 16th 2014, 6:19 am

yep someone else had that problem with spiders. could come from anywhere on the journey but you still have to pay. Luckily we were all clear of spiders and cobwebs.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 3:32 pm
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point

...just wondering if anyone has moved more recently and could share the cost of the containers?
Also, is it possible to delay delivery - if one was in a rental and didn't want the furniture, can they store the containers anywhere and again, does anyone know the approximate costs?
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 4:43 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by salmoncolour
...just wondering if anyone has moved more recently and could share the cost of the containers?
Also, is it possible to delay delivery - if one was in a rental and didn't want the furniture, can they store the containers anywhere and again, does anyone know the approximate costs?
You must be in NZ before your shipment arrives in port or you must have someone else take responsibility for it when it arrives.
Once it has cleared customs and MPI the international removals partner at this end can store it for you until the day you need it.
It won't be stored in the shipping container though as that belongs to the shipping company so they'll have to empty it and put the items in something else - probably a huge wooden crate or 2.
We currently have 2 wooden crate storage units with Conroy's with enough to fill probably half a 20ft shipping container and pay $100 per month. Insurance is extra, however our home contents insurance policy is covering the risk for the first 12 months for free.

Our shipping costs back in 2012 for a 40Ft container Preston, Lancashire to Wellington was GBP 5000. Insurance is extra as usual, however didn't cost us a penny as my new employer covered the lot on the company insurance. Going with the shipping company insurance is expensive. There's a company based in Liverpool Letton Percival maybe ? will do a better policy for half the cost.
Old Sep 2nd 2015, 6:10 pm
Forum Regular

salmoncolour is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by escapedtonz
You must be in NZ before your shipment arrives in port or you must have someone else take responsibility for it when it arrives.
Once it has cleared customs and MPI the international removals partner at this end can store it for you until the day you need it.
It won't be stored in the shipping container though as that belongs to the shipping company so they'll have to empty it and put the items in something else - probably a huge wooden crate or 2.
We currently have 2 wooden crate storage units with Conroy's with enough to fill probably half a 20ft shipping container and pay $100 per month. Insurance is extra, however our home contents insurance policy is covering the risk for the first 12 months for free.

Our shipping costs back in 2012 for a 40Ft container Preston, Lancashire to Wellington was GBP 5000. Insurance is extra as usual, however didn't cost us a penny as my new employer covered the lot on the company insurance. Going with the shipping company insurance is expensive. There's a company based in Liverpool Letton Percival maybe ? will do a better policy for half the cost.
Brilliant info, thank you ever so much! Very useful.
Great to know that it may be worth asking the employer to chip in too.