Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Cost Of Emigration

The Cost Of Emigration

Old May 15th 2006, 12:36 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Cost Of Emigration

Originally Posted by Bodgit
As an idea we have paid around £4k 'ish' for immigration consultant and paperwork. We will be paying another £4.5k 'ish' for removals, and approx £2k 'ish' (and hopefully 'max') for flights for us both.

House sale fees, wills, etc in the UK chock that total up as do travel, (and 'entertaining' ), costs for all the farewell parties.

£10K seems a sensible minimum as we could have saved a couple of thou not using the consultant and a couple of thou not taking house contents with us.

Have we really spent that much !!! :scared:
You all seem to have your PR or a work permit before you enter NZ, is nobody just arriving and hoping for the best? We can't get PR as we don't have a job offer, so were selling up and going on holiday with our 3 children and hoping not to return to the UK. We'ed love to arrive properly but can't seem to find a different solution. At least the kids will have an adventure.
Old May 15th 2006, 12:41 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost Of Emigration

You won't get anything for two years, as far as Im aware, unless you have children and have PR and then you can claim family assitance, which is nice
I don't think it matches child benefit and family credit from the UK in anyway but it certainly made things a whole lot easier for us here
Old May 15th 2006, 12:44 pm
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
You all seem to have your PR or a work permit before you enter NZ, is nobody just arriving and hoping for the best? We can't get PR as we don't have a job offer, so were selling up and going on holiday with our 3 children and hoping not to return to the UK. We'ed love to arrive properly but can't seem to find a different solution. At least the kids will have an adventure.
Sorry didn't see your post, you be ok but I don't know how you stand for getting your kids into education. You may have to pay extra fees cos you haven't got PR
Old May 15th 2006, 4:04 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road
Post Re: The Cost Of Emigration

I am accountant and so not seeing a table of figures, I decided the question of the cost of the move has not been answered. I am going from memory, but some of the costs like the EOI can be determined by reference to the NZIS site. I also am in Canada so I am converting my costs to pounds

EOI 150
New Migrant levy 460
Passports (6) 157 (UK passports are much more expensive so you will need to up this cost
Medicals 300
Passport photos 120
Container and insurance 20 footer 5,000
Airfare 4,000
Courier 45

Total 10,232

Please note that there are start up costs on the other end such as school uniforms, school fees, the odd appliance, rental deposits, rental agent fees if you use one, other incidentals.

It is important to compare these costs to costs of moving to another part of the country. To me, if I moved to another part of Canada, the only difference would be the EOI, medical, and passports. Air fare would be lower, but I also wouldn't have to buy new appliances or a TV if I wasn't moving to NZ.

So, it is expensive to move. Don't forget you will keep on paying for the rest of your life because mortgage rates are higher in NZ and likely always will be and housing is more costly than it should be. You may have less to retire on then you otherwise would.
Old May 15th 2006, 4:07 pm
Forum Regular

CWEMM02 is on a distinguished road

Originally Posted by Spacecake799
Sorry, like sky, I didn't notice this comment either. You will have to pay fees for the kids to go to school, untill you have a work permit. Looking at the EOI results on the NZIS webiste, I would say a number of people are selling up and going to NZ, getting a job and applying for PR.
Old May 15th 2006, 10:02 pm
Forum Regular

robbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura aboutrobbish has a spectacular aura about
Talking Re: The Cost Of Emigration

Originally Posted by sheil347
Hello everyone, my family and I (hubby,3 kids) are in the process of applying to come & live in NZ.We have heard that the overall cost of making the move is astronomical! Can anyone tell us how the costs are broken down? Heard from someone at school that they are paying £3000 to ship their dog out!!!!Not a problem for us, but hope its not going to cost £3000 per child!
Ever thought of joining the RNZAF, they are recruiting and they pay for the lot.......or that is what they have led me to believe!

Bob
Old May 16th 2006, 2:06 am
livewire

I'd agree with the £10,000 figure for a family.

If you're arriving without work permits you are likely to be asked to pay international student fees for your children, if you're bringing over a container you'll also have to pay to import your household goods into the country.

Old May 16th 2006, 1:44 pm
BE Enthusiast

Spacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond reputeSpacecake799 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: The Cost Of Emigration

Originally Posted by livewire
I'd agree with the £10,000 figure for a family.

If you're arriving without work permits you are likely to be asked to pay international student fees for your children, if you're bringing over a container you'll also have to pay to import your household goods into the country.
How much are the fees likely to be? Is that for any school? we are hoping to get a work permit and then put kids in school. We were intending on spending 2 wks auck, 2wks well, and 2wks cch and having something by the end of it.
Old May 17th 2006, 7:26 am
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by CWEMM02
I am accountant and so not seeing a table of figures, I decided the question of the cost of the move has not been answered. I am going from memory, but some of the costs like the EOI can be determined by reference to the NZIS site. I also am in Canada so I am converting my costs to pounds

EOI 150
New Migrant levy 460
Passports (6) 157 (UK passports are much more expensive so you will need to up this cost
Medicals 300
Passport photos 120
Container and insurance 20 footer 5,000
Airfare 4,000
Courier 45

Total 10,232

So, it is expensive to move. Don't forget you will keep on paying for the rest of your life because mortgage rates are higher in NZ and likely always will be and housing is more costly than it should be. You may have less to retire on then you otherwise would.
Don't forget, (as for us), there are also NZQA checks, translation fees, (German documentation for my time there), fees for certified copies of documents etc.

I would agree with the general comment that moving is expensive. The difference for us though between emmigrating and a move in the UK is more of a difference as we wouldn't normally have flight costs, container shipping costs and the passport checks and levies.

'Tis expensive though. Depressing that other quote which said 'you keep paying more through life' due to higher mortgage cost etc. Sad but true. You (hopefully), get more of a return in terms of life though.