Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

The Cost Of Emigration

The Cost Of Emigration

Old May 15th 2006, 10:15 am
Just Joined

sheil347 is an unknown quantity at this point
Unhappy The Cost Of Emigration

Hello everyone, my family and I (hubby,3 kids) are in the process of applying to come & live in NZ.We have heard that the overall cost of making the move is astronomical! Can anyone tell us how the costs are broken down? Heard from someone at school that they are paying £3000 to ship their dog out!!!!Not a problem for us, but hope its not going to cost £3000 per child!
Old May 15th 2006, 10:25 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: The Cost Of Emigration

Originally Posted by sheil347
Hello everyone, my family and I (hubby,3 kids) are in the process of applying to come & live in NZ.We have heard that the overall cost of making the move is astronomical! Can anyone tell us how the costs are broken down? Heard from someone at school that they are paying £3000 to ship their dog out!!!!Not a problem for us, but hope its not going to cost £3000 per child!
Hi and welcome to the forum.

No getting away from it, it's bloody expensive.

With the immigration process, shipping and flights, don't expect there to be any change from 10k, cos there isn't likely to be any. :scared:

Take a deep breath and few and join the roller coaster that at times appears to have stopped for days, weeks, and whooosh your into the next stage.

like you I have 3 children, we're still waiting for the house sale to complete before we will be jumping on that plane.
Old May 15th 2006, 10:33 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

With the selling of the UK house and cars and applying to NZIS, then the container and flights and rent and initial setting up fees we used up about £25k :scared: ....... we are a family of five.
We lost money on the house and our year old car though so maybe could be done more cheaply
Old May 15th 2006, 10:37 am
BE Enthusiast

planty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond reputeplanty has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by sky
With the selling of the UK house and cars and applying to NZIS, then the container and flights and rent and initial setting up fees we used up about £25k :scared: ....... we are a family of five.
We lost money on the house and our year old car though so maybe could be done more cheaply
I wasn't including the fees for selling the house, that's scarey on its own. :scared:

Good to see you posting again Sky, even if you are feeling the cold.
Old May 15th 2006, 10:42 am
Just Joined

RodandEm is an unknown quantity at this point

:scared:

thats a lot more than we were expecting ! tho there is just two of us, and we don't have a house to sell as we rent.

how much of a difference would that make ?

we can only really budget for a few grand as that will use up what we've saved as it is.
Old May 15th 2006, 10:44 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

As a couple Im sure you can do it on a very tight budget, we had school fees and costs as soon as we landed in NZ too and kindy etc. I was dizzy and not thinking straight when I look back on that first horrific year lol
Old May 15th 2006, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by RodandEm
:scared:

thats a lot more than we were expecting ! tho there is just two of us, and we don't have a house to sell as we rent.

how much of a difference would that make ?

we can only really budget for a few grand as that will use up what we've saved as it is.
Sorry won't save you much, you'll still have to have medicals and pay the migrant levy, police searches and the rest of the immigration fees and your flights. Then it depends on you if your gonna ship the worldy goods.
Old May 15th 2006, 10:49 am
Just Joined

well thats given me a lot to think about !

we're getting closer to the time of getting our temp visa and putting our application in, but we seem to be just as clueless about it all as we were 6 months ago !

starting to get a bit concerned we haven't done much research etc.

out of interest, whats the "police searches" all about ??!
Old May 15th 2006, 10:50 am
sky
Banned

If I did it again I wouldn't ship anything electrical, it all broke within the first year Maybe our container got fried by some hot tropical weather en route lol, the rest I would have shipped. I deeply regret not bringing our german made frame jumbo eight berth tent (cry smiley)
Old May 15th 2006, 10:51 am
sky
Banned

well thats given me a lot to think about !

we're getting closer to the time of getting our temp visa and putting our application in, but we seem to be just as clueless about it all as we were 6 months ago !

starting to get a bit concerned we haven't done much research etc.

out of interest, whats the "police searches" all about ??!
Only cost you ten quid and if you are a good law abiding person you have nothing to worry about
Old May 15th 2006, 10:58 am
Just Joined

had images of having to pay for the police to stop and search you when you arrive or something !
Old May 15th 2006, 11:27 am
sky
Banned

Only if you are carrying something illegal!
Old May 15th 2006, 11:44 am
Devonport Duffers

Bodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant futureBodgit has a brilliant future

As an idea we have paid around £4k 'ish' for immigration consultant and paperwork. We will be paying another £4.5k 'ish' for removals, and approx £2k 'ish' (and hopefully 'max') for flights for us both.

House sale fees, wills, etc in the UK chock that total up as do travel, (and 'entertaining' ), costs for all the farewell parties.

£10K seems a sensible minimum as we could have saved a couple of thou not using the consultant and a couple of thou not taking house contents with us.

Have we really spent that much !!! :scared:
Old May 15th 2006, 12:22 pm
BE Enthusiast

had images of having to pay for the police to stop and search you when you arrive or something !
Just don't look to nervous when you pass the immigration officer with the rubber gloves at the airport.
Old May 15th 2006, 12:34 pm
BE Enthusiast

Sorry searches was the wrong word, should have said police checks, which basically means they check to see if you have a criminal record.

I remember we had to pay for my wife to have qualifications checks, and fees to join the teaching council before we could send in EOI. The total soon mounts up.

I think I'm right in saying that if you haven't got much in the way of dosh to take, as an immigrant in New Zealand you won't be entitled to housing or unemployment benifit for 2 years. I'm sure that'll be corrected if I'm wrong.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.