Cost of Dentist

Old Aug 6th 2009, 9:22 pm
Forum Regular

JackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the rough
Default Cost of Dentist

Hi out there, I will be going to a Dentist later on and the cost is....OMG... well what can I say......and the cost will be after 4 small fillings, a check up and ex-rays $780...............has any one else felt that these prices are toooooo high. If I need a crown which would cost $1200...I think I will wait till I go back home for a holiday
Old Aug 6th 2009, 10:31 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Cost of Dentist

I think the costs are roughly equivalent to the cheaper end of UK private dentistry rates. It seems expensive to many Brits coming in because they were maybe used to taxpayer-subsidised NHS fees and because your NZ salary will probably be lower as a proportion of your income, the cost is effectively higher.
The good news though is that the quality of care is very good i.m.e. that is, you do get what you pay for...unrushed comfortable care. If you don't like your dentist here, then do shop around....plenty of good ones to be found.

If it helps, I wouldn't say you are being ripped off with the rates quoted for the work you have described. I pay NZ$120 for a check up, NZ$90 for half-hour hygienist and have paid up to NZ$200 for a single filling but that's Wellington rates.

Last edited by luvwelly; Aug 6th 2009 at 10:34 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 4:10 am
Forum Regular

LucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud ofLucyS has much to be proud of

Ooh that's a bit scary - I desperately need the dentist and didn't get round to going when was back in Blighty getting my visa sorted. Sounds like I might regret that bit of laziness!
I'm terrified of the dentist (hence only go when desperate), paying that much money too feels like a real kick in the teeth - not that I could afford to get one of those
Old Aug 7th 2009, 5:13 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by LucyS
a real kick in the teeth
Now that would be a cheaper option
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:09 am
Forum Regular

JackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the roughJackandE is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by LucyS
Ooh that's a bit scary - I desperately need the dentist and didn't get round to going when was back in Blighty getting my visa sorted. Sounds like I might regret that bit of laziness!
I'm terrified of the dentist (hence only go when desperate), paying that much money too feels like a real kick in the teeth - not that I could afford to get one of those
Well I have been and done it......and I hate dentist also.....I had one injection in the top and needed one in the bottom.. gum that it!!!!!! but I said skip the injection in the lower gum...I hate the numbness...I would rather put up with the pain....not that it cost any cheaper not having the injection!!! which is unfair cos they are saving on the anesthetic. The one with the anesthetic hurt the most Anyway I had white fillings and that cost a 'little more' so this visit cost $370.....for two small fillings!!!!......next visit is in 9 days......so I better get saving.........
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:35 am
BE Enthusiast

nero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond reputenero has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by JackandE
Well I have been and done it......and I hate dentist also.....I had one injection in the top and needed one in the bottom.. gum that it!!!!!! but I said skip the injection in the lower gum...I hate the numbness...I would rather put up with the pain....not that it cost any cheaper not having the injection!!! which is unfair cos they are saving on the anesthetic. The one with the anesthetic hurt the most Anyway I had white fillings and that cost a 'little more' so this visit cost $370.....for two small fillings!!!!......next visit is in 9 days......so I better get saving.........
Have to say that sounds reasonable - dentists are expensive here. But I have to say the care and treatment is much better than I ever received in the UK. I have learnt to save regularly and suck the cost up. But it is a shock.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 7:49 am
Just Joined

Transient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really niceTransient is just really nice

In the UK, privately, I pay £90+ for a filling and a recent root treatment and crown is at £750 with the fitting yet to come. The NZ prices quoted above don't sound particularly inflated although I'm sure they're a shock to people used to NHS prices.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 8:15 am
BE Forum Addict

mickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond reputemickey_d has a reputation beyond repute

Don't forget, especially if you've just arrived here, you may qualify for a Community Services Card for this tax year, which will be very useful for emergency dental care & save on Doctor visits
Old Aug 7th 2009, 6:57 pm
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute
Thumbs down Re: Cost of Dentist

Ouch. .no wonder you hate the dentist. Yours doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all. There are techniques for numbing which are completely painless even in the palate (top)....it doesn't have to be painful but if you dislike the numb feeling, that makes it a bit more difficult I suppose.

Anaesthetic doesn't seem to be charged for separately like in USA and some EU countries, which I think is a good thing, the procedure fee covers as much anaesthetic as you want/need which I think is the right way to do it. I hate to think of someone skimping on anaesthesia because they want to save a few dollars.
If your dentist is anywhere near approaching a nice person, I doubt you made his day by refusing the anaesthetic..so why should he charge less? It's a different way to look at it I suppose.

Last edited by luvwelly; Aug 7th 2009 at 7:03 pm.
Old Aug 7th 2009, 9:10 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by luvwelly
Ouch. .no wonder you hate the dentist. Yours doesn't sound like my cup of tea at all. There are techniques for numbing which are completely painless even in the palate (top)....it doesn't have to be painful but if you dislike the numb feeling, that makes it a bit more difficult I suppose.

Anaesthetic doesn't seem to be charged for separately like in USA and some EU countries, which I think is a good thing, the procedure fee covers as much anaesthetic as you want/need which I think is the right way to do it. I hate to think of someone skimping on anaesthesia because they want to save a few dollars.
If your dentist is anywhere near approaching a nice person, I doubt you made his day by refusing the anaesthetic..so why should he charge less? It's a different way to look at it I suppose.
Thanks for the reassurance, I just think it was a shock for the prices as you say they are much more that the NHS of the UK. The dentist I attended was a great guy and I felt comfortable with him. I guess we will have to budget for the dentist as we get older we tend to need more treatment. I did think about putting dentistry on the private health insurance but it was a $100 more....do you think this is steep
Old Aug 8th 2009, 5:30 am
BE Forum Addict

I did think about putting dentistry on the private health insurance but it was a $100 more....do you think this is steep
I think it depends how much treatment cover (and what does it cover?) an extra NZ$100 per month will get you versus what you are likely to spend in a typical year. In my case I just do 'pay as I go' and only emergency dental is covered on my private medical insurance.
But if disposable income is usually tight, but you could afford to shell out NZ$1200 a year 'just in case'..and include it in your budget maybe it's a good idea.....it depends on your individual circumstances. In most years you'd maybe be better off saving it.

Also how many of you in the family? For me even with no treatment and just check-ups and hygienist visits, I am looking at around NZ$420 just for me but I still prefer 'pay as you go' as I have adequate savings for emergencies. I also hate filling in insurance forms too, another reason I prefer 'pay as I go'.

If you had an accident here and your teeth got damaged, treatment would be covered by ACC in most cases, so you don't need to worry on that score. If your wisdoms are still in and are likely to cause problems later...maybe insurance cover is wise until they are out (if it covers this that is)....every case is different.

Last edited by luvwelly; Aug 8th 2009 at 5:33 am.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:40 am
Account Closed

scrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond reputescrubbedexpat094 has a reputation beyond repute

Been to my lovely dentist this morning for a check-up. Had two x-rays, a scale & polish & check-up & it cost $154, which I think is very reasonable.
Old Aug 10th 2009, 12:45 am
BE Forum Addict

Originally Posted by Vitalstatistix
Been to my lovely dentist this morning for a check-up. Had two x-rays, a scale & polish & check-up & it cost $154, which I think is very reasonable.
That'll cheer Pixiedust up a bit more....didn't I say mine's too .
Old Aug 10th 2009, 10:07 am
BE Enthusiast

pricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond reputepricklykina has a reputation beyond repute

A friend of mine went to Thailand to get her teeth done - then wrote an article about it in the Listener. She found the care superior to nz and she got a great holiday to boot. It was cheaper to get her teeth done there...including flights and accomodation
Old Aug 10th 2009, 9:04 pm
Forum Regular

NZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to beholdNZGrl is a splendid one to behold

Everyone should come to the dentist at Waiwera Infinity Dental Spa...Currently doing a special at $95 for scale and polish, 2 x rays and exam...Not bad eh...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.