British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   is the cost of a container really worth it? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/cost-container-really-worth-804527/)

moving2NZ2013 Jul 30th 2013 9:46 am

is the cost of a container really worth it?

iv been looking at containers that are around 4-6k.

i dont have 4-6k worth of stuff:lol:

we will have 2 children. one will have just turned one and the other nearly 3.

so is it worth paying for a container to load up or cheaper to buy when you get there.

the cost of items seem pricey but is it worth paying 4-6k?

davros1984 Jul 30th 2013 9:50 am

Re: is the cost of a container really worth it?

Wait till you try and buy things here, i.e furniture or white goods. Send over as much as you can!

moving2NZ2013 Jul 30th 2013 10:30 am

ok brill. thinking cos we will have 2 kids itll be nightmare trying to by over here. apparently you can buy brand new stuff aslong as its out of packaging.

Bo-Jangles Jul 30th 2013 10:35 am

I wouldn't dismiss it out of hand, you can get a part shipment / shared container if you don't have a full load.

Although you say you don't have GBP 4 to 6 k worth of stuff, I bet if you went around and looked at absolutely everything you do have; bedding, kitchenware, crockery, pots and pans, clothes, toys, bags, CDs, DVDs electricals, hairdryers, books et al it would come to a tidy sum to replace it. When you're earning only Kiwi dollars and the cost of replacements of things you already have at 2.5 to 3 times the price; you will honestly want to kick yourself.

moving2NZ2013 Jul 30th 2013 10:37 am

yeh thats what i was thinking, anything i didnt need after the move i could sell at a reasonable price

my husbands work tools alone come to at least 1.5k

barnsleymat Jul 30th 2013 10:55 am

I bought an almost new leather suite off eBay and filled my mums garage up and brought it all with us. The 2 & 3 seater cost me 500 quid but would have costs several times that here in NZ. Bring the lot and buy even more.

marooned5 Jul 31st 2013 2:04 am

and bring all the clothes and toys you will need for the kids (and yourselves) for the next few years! cheap stuff here falls apart within minutes, and decent stuff seems way too pricey - i know I've been spoilt by George at Asda and Tesco etc for all the kiddie basics - never thought I'd miss supermarkets so much!

moonie2011 Jul 31st 2013 2:14 am

In the first two months being here we spent nearly £20k :eek:
We begged and borrowed stuff but you still have to buy things you need
Money is needed for cars, rent, school, food, emergencies etc etc.
so try and save wherever you can, ship what you can.

And if you don't need it sell it on trade me (eBay)

helinuk Jul 31st 2013 4:04 am

Five years ago we took the advice of Britishexpats and we brought everything with us and were very glad we did. The only thing we haven't used in the correct place is the pine wardrobe , it's used for storage in the garage ,(many newer homes have built in wardrobes).
Trademe is similar to E bay except that there isn't as much on it as UK Ebay so I wouldn't assume you can buy second hand items here.
I'm sure your children will enjoy having their own familiar toys when you arrive too.

RobDon Jul 31st 2013 6:29 am

Originally Posted by helinuk (Post 10827759)
The only thing we haven't used in the correct place is the pine wardrobe, it's used for storage in the garage.

Us too! :thumbsup:

M_and_M Aug 2nd 2013 7:05 am

YES!!!! We used Anglo pacific and it didn't cost is £6k !!! We brought EVERYTHING.

It's VERY expensive to buy furniture and white goods here so bring it all!!

kazandav Aug 2nd 2013 7:13 am

We're not taking any white goods so we didn't think the value of our stuff would be that much, but when we added everything up for insurance purposes it came to £20,000. Our container is 3.5k