Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Correctional Officer - NZ

Correctional Officer - NZ

Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:04 pm
Just Joined

brightie will become famous soon enoughbrightie will become famous soon enough
Default Correctional Officer - NZ

Any ex Prison Officers now Correctional Officers with any advice or information on obtaining a position within the NZ service. Been in HMP service service and have worked in CAT B & CAT C...
Who best to get in contact with for vacancies.

Thank you

Brightie
Old Sep 23rd 2007, 10:12 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Correctional Officer - NZ

Howzit Brightie --

Maybe try the Department of Corrections for a start
http://www.corrections.govt.nz/publi...ctionsofficer/

For personal experiences you may want to read
http://britishexpats.com/forum/showt...er+new+zealand
or
or

Good Luck.
Old Sep 24th 2007, 6:29 am
Forum Regular

dekajack1 is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Correctional Officer - NZ

Know a lot of Officers still coming out from Scotland who missed the recruitment drive in England. As far as I know, they contacted the Department and had to fly out at own expense for interview. Still very short of officers, The jail I work in is short of about 35 at the moment with an average of 25 leaving every month - for various reasons. A lot of people negative about service - I got acting up 3 months after leaving college and promoted after 6 - now acting up another level. It is there if you want it.

Good Luck
Old Sep 24th 2007, 7:54 am
Forum Regular

wilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the roughwilekit is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by brightie
Any ex Prison Officers now Correctional Officers with any advice or information on obtaining a position within the NZ service. Been in HMP service service and have worked in CAT B & CAT C...

Thank you

Brightie
Hi Brightie, now is a fantastic time to apply, as the dept of corrections are currently doing a huge recruitment drive, mainly for probation officers, also for correctional officers as well I think, as they've opened or are about to open several new prison facilities. I'm currently a drugs worker with the Probation Service in the UK, but I've just been offered and accepted a P.O's job in Auckland

I had to do an incredibly detailed CV that took me literally weeks, online tests and an hour interview over the phone, and the whole process took about 3 months in all! I did have a baby though, so I didn't exactly rush it You could definitely get through the process quicker if you wanted to. With your experience and skills they'd bite your hand off, go for it mate

I have got a couple of mates who've done the same thing and are now working in Auckland and Christchurch. From what they tell me, some of the issues in the criminal justice system there are nothing compared to what we're going through here. Don't get me started on it, but anyone who's worked in criminal justice in the UK for at least 5-10 years knows that fulfilling targets has become more important that actually working with/ supervising offenders and privatisation is the future :-(

Go on the Dept of corrections website and check out their recruitment section. It has all the stuff you need on there. If you want to chat about anything or any advice, feel free to PM me. I hope this all helps!

Last edited by wilekit; Sep 24th 2007 at 8:01 am.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:40 am
Forum Regular

Hi

Just to let you know.

Had a BBQ today at the jail where I work. Minister of Corrections attended and they are going to be recruiting in the UK again. Looking for about 70 officers. If you spend a year in correction in NZ they will also recognise your service in the UK.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 7:50 am
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by brightie

Thank you

Brightie
Just read a big advert in the dominion post which was advertising for Correctional Officers in Wellington
Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:27 am
Banned

themeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura aboutthemeggies has a spectacular aura about

Rimutaka Prison in Trentham upper Hutt is always looking for correctional officers ,just apply to the inmates for a job there ,they seem to run the place as it would appear.Ever wondered why so many expat officers leave
Old Sep 28th 2007, 10:43 am
Forum Regular

slippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the roughslippery is a jewel in the rough

Originally Posted by dekajack1
Hi

Just to let you know.

Had a BBQ today at the jail where I work. Minister of Corrections attended and they are going to be recruiting in the UK again. Looking for about 70 officers. If you spend a year in correction in NZ they will also recognise your service in the UK.
Glad to see that you are doing ok Ann
By the way the guy that thought he knew me from scotland actually knew me from London.
I was the guy that was going to Rumataka at the same time as you but never got there.
Old Sep 28th 2007, 12:49 pm
Forum Regular

frattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura aboutfrattonlad has a spectacular aura about

Anyone got any contact names etc for Wellington please?
Cheers

Trev
Old Sep 28th 2007, 9:30 pm
BE Forum Addict

simonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond reputesimonmarkellis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by frattonlad
Anyone got any contact names etc for Wellington please?
Cheers

Trev
Local rag here, the Kapi-Mana has adverts for Welly which say's application packs are available from [email protected] or you can ring her on +64 4 529 1630 from the UK. I'll pm you the full advert...

Simon
Old Sep 28th 2007, 11:27 pm
Forum Regular

MV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant futureMV5555 has a brilliant future

Hi there,

not going to harp on how good or bad the place is but be very well informed and do your research b4 you come here. There are loads of threads about corrections you just got to find them, most are over a year old but will give you a good insite into the ups and downs of coming here.

here is my last thread

http://britishexpats.com/forum/showthread.php?t=362301

I am loving my time here now but its not an easy ride to get settle and start afresh
Old Oct 4th 2007, 6:07 am
Just Joined

earny68 will become famous soon enough
Red face Re: Correctional Officer - NZ

Hi Brightie or anyone else who is thinking of coming to New Zealand and joining corrections ,
Right lets get straight to the point , Are you coming here to have a career in Corrections or are you coming to give your family a better lifestyle .
I came here from HMP Manchester and i loved my job ( sad was nt i ) i arrived in Wellington and work at Rimutaka prison . It was the hardest and worst time of my life (in my eyes) , i even hid my passport and credit card from my wife so that i could sneek off back to the UK never to be seen again!!!!!!
However instead of giving up and coming back i then transferred to Christchurch and tried to put a bad start behind me .
Now two years on i have a lovely home and a lovely lifestyle and to me Christchurch is a fantastic place to be , even though the prison does have problems (which prison does n't) i have found Christchurch mens prison to be ok and possibly one of the best New Zealand corrections have .
Personally i am not here for the job and i have found myself a little neich out of the way of the daily grind and the poor shifts (permanent nights) .
In short , you will never regret coming to New Zealand even though it will be hard at first .
A good contact for Christchurch is Maureen Jameson who is Head of Human Resources for Canterbury and she is a ex pat , i found her very helpful .
All you have to do is ring Canterbury Corrections and ask for her .
I hope my memoirs helped
earny68
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:24 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by slippery
Glad to see that you are doing ok Ann
By the way the guy that thought he knew me from scotland actually knew me from London.
I was the guy that was going to Rumataka at the same time as you but never got there.
Hi,

Glad to hear from you, are you out or are you coming out soon.

Big news at jail last week, all units going 8 to 5, we are now 70 officers short in Wellington region alone.
Old Oct 7th 2007, 5:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by earny68
Hi Brightie or anyone else who is thinking of coming to New Zealand and joining corrections ,
Right lets get straight to the point , Are you coming here to have a career in Corrections or are you coming to give your family a better lifestyle .
I came here from HMP Manchester and i loved my job ( sad was nt i ) i arrived in Wellington and work at Rimutaka prison . It was the hardest and worst time of my life (in my eyes) , i even hid my passport and credit card from my wife so that i could sneek off back to the UK never to be seen again!!!!!!
However instead of giving up and coming back i then transferred to Christchurch and tried to put a bad start behind me .
Now two years on i have a lovely home and a lovely lifestyle and to me Christchurch is a fantastic place to be , even though the prison does have problems (which prison does n't) i have found Christchurch mens prison to be ok and possibly one of the best New Zealand corrections have .
Personally i am not here for the job and i have found myself a little neich out of the way of the daily grind and the poor shifts (permanent nights) .
In short , you will never regret coming to New Zealand even though it will be hard at first .
A good contact for Christchurch is Maureen Jameson who is Head of Human Resources for Canterbury and she is a ex pat , i found her very helpful .
All you have to do is ring Canterbury Corrections and ask for her .
I hope my memoirs helped
earny68
earny68

Sorry you didnt like Rimutaka, I love it. Can you do me a favour, colleague of mine working at Christchurch mens, give you a clue he is scottish and answers to the name nudenut - say hi and rmind him to email me
Old Jan 25th 2008, 9:46 pm
Just Joined

Rachel-UK is a jewel in the roughRachel-UK is a jewel in the roughRachel-UK is a jewel in the roughRachel-UK is a jewel in the rough

Hi,
Can i ask if you have had any helpful feed back, if so could you update me with anything useful? Any advice will be appreciated. My partner is a Prison Officer and has been for 3 yrs. He is due to take his PTI course this year which will gain him more qualifications. Previous to this he was a personal trainer in fitness industry.

Does anyone have any suggestions how we can approach this? or is it just a case of applying direct to the prisons in the hope of sponsorship?

Any help is welcomed.
Thanks x

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.