Coronavirus

Old Apr 9th 2021, 11:55 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Official Vaccine Stats

Dr Ashley got a bit of a grilling at the press conference yesterday about the slowness of the rollout - he says they will be ramping up to delivering 35,000 doses per week; at that rate they will deliver 1.8m doses within the next 12 months - that's less than 20% of the team of 5 million. Given the drive to prioritise Maori, Pacific and South Auckland I think it will be a long time before general population start getting called.

I'm not sure what the issue is with actually ramping it up to some sort of actual speed.
1 - Supply?
2 - Trained personnel to jab?
3 - DHB storage ability?

To me it is like when I was on a train going from Dublin to Waterford. It decided to chug backward at some point lengthening the journey by many hours. This is the same logic.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 8:30 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sure Obersturmbannführer Ardern has a plan. . . .Or more likely she'll smile and sell us all yet another dream with more false promises 🙄
Old Apr 10th 2021, 10:50 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

New Zealand's problem once we get going is going to be vaccine hesitancy. Through casual conversation there seems to be a lot of people who say they're not going to have it. There's also one of my Facebook friends who keeps posting those conspiracy theories about governments using vaccines to control us or something. I guess most will change their minds once the borders start opening and unvaccinated people start getting sick.

The other problem is supply. It's understandable I guess that NZ is seen to be not in urgent need and placed at the back of the queue.

The good news is what's happening in Israel. Just about everyone there has received their first shot of Pfizer. Cases have dropped from 10000 per day and in the last 24 hours they've had just 150 having hovered at about 200 all this week despite most restrictions having been lifted. And UK cases are also falling quickly.

Last edited by garethwm; Apr 10th 2021 at 10:52 pm.
Old Apr 10th 2021, 11:01 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
Call me Henny Penny if you will but it seems inevitable that this will go horribly wrong.
I agree. I think the govt has bowed to pressure from the likes of Mike Hosking. You'd think someone with covid is eventually going to hop on a plane in either direction. We are so close to the finish line that you wonder whether it's worth the risk to blow everything at the last hurdle.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 6:40 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
New Zealand's problem once we get going is going to be vaccine hesitancy.
I'm not sure it's hesitancy holding us back. We seem to have settled at an average of 20k jabs per week (i.e. vaccinating the equivalent 10k people weekly) over the last few weeks. Assuming we intend to do about 5.2m people we should be ready in about...a decade.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 6:48 am
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm not sure it's hesitancy holding us back. We seem to have settled at an average of 20k jabs per week (i.e. vaccinating the equivalent 10k people weekly) over the last few weeks. Assuming we intend to do about 5.2m people we should be ready in about...a decade.
Lack of available and certified people to jab it in I think. ( They need a course it seems ) Also lack of facilities to store the stuff properly . I got my jab as a leftover dose I feel because I was quick off the mark , not that I am complaining.

It needs more mobilisation. Bit like an army style roll out when we've had bad quakes. Saying this, I hope we have access to this vaccine as was booked.

Pains me really but this is all far too slow and lacking in the urgency message to get it done and dusted as soon as yesterday. Sit back in this slow way and folks will be as they are over track and tracing at the moment- slack - she'll be right.

I am a little stunned tbh to see I am in a group of just about 100,000 only.

edit... Ah! I see Gareth's point . There does seem to be rather a lot of vaccination concern out there for some reason. I can surmise on the assorted reasonings for this . That also needs to be somehow overcome. Neighbour has asked me a few times about side -effects. My answer to that is why? Better a headache than dead.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 14th 2021 at 6:51 am.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

There's no shortage of nurses who are qualified to administer vaccines.

the delay is quite simply down to the Ardern governments shambolic rollout. No one else is to blame. The buck stops at the PM's door
Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:14 am
BE Forum Addict

the delay is quite simply down to the Ardern governments shambolic rollout. No one else is to blame. The buck stops at the PM's door
Old Apr 14th 2021, 7:31 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol

I'm pretty sure you dont have to be a nurse either mate.
I was a medic in the Army and 2 of us used to vaccinate 300 people in a week with about 2 or 3 jabs at a time.
You can have the Army or a load of people trained in administrating the vaccine in a building doing it. Aslong as there is a doctor in the medical practice where the vaccine roll out is being conducted.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 2:41 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

I don't blame anyone, every country has issues scaling their vaccination program (except for Israel, they really did demonstrate organisation at scale) in the first month.

The point is that now we understand where the bottlenecks are and act to eliminate them:
If we need more people to jab let's make sure we can rope in pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and medical/nursing students to cope with demand. We're a wealthy nation if the answer is as simple as writing the cheque - we do it.
If we have storage constraints let's order more refrigeration units and use JIT vaccine delivery to optimise the use of storage capacity.
If we have hesitancy let's announce the date borders will reopen, make clear that forgoing your turn will return you to the back of the queue and issue isolation advice for those who have failed to be vaccinated when borders reopen.

This is a national response to a global pandemic, we do not have the luxury of acquiescent complacency.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 6:28 pm
BE Enthusiast

LittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond reputeLittleGreyCat has a reputation beyond repute

I expect that most people don't feel any sense of urgency because there is no sense of immediate threat.
Shops and bars and restaurants are open.
Pubs, clubs ,theatres, cinemas, party on dude!

As Charismatic says, there won't be any pressure until a date is given for reopening the borders.

Then no doubt there will be a concerted rush with complaints about not being able to get a vaccine immediately when they have been available for months.

Just get your act together, NZ.
Some of us have family to visit.
Old Apr 14th 2021, 8:40 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by LittleGreyCat
As Charismatic says, there won't be any pressure until a date is given for reopening the borders.

Then no doubt there will be a concerted rush with complaints about not being able to get a vaccine immediately when they have been available for months.
That's why it's a good idea to make sure that date is announced ahead of the main vaccination program starting in July. That way you can avoid a last minute rush as people realise that life has to move forwards.

If you actually look at behaviour across countries that are vaccinating people who are initially hesitant will often get vaccinated when friends or relatives have. We are often asking people to make decisions at the time when they have least experience or information which only some people feel comfortable with.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 4:28 am
`

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I don't blame anyone, every country has issues scaling their vaccination program (except for Israel, they really did demonstrate organisation at scale) in the first month.
Yes.

The point is that now we understand where the bottlenecks are and act to eliminate them:
If we need more people to jab let's make sure we can rope in pharmacists, pharmacy technicians and medical/nursing students to cope with demand. We're a wealthy nation if the answer is as simple as writing the cheque - we do it.
If we have storage constraints let's order more refrigeration units and use JIT vaccine delivery to optimise the use of storage capacity.
If we have hesitancy let's announce the date borders will reopen, make clear that forgoing your turn will return you to the back of the queue and issue isolation advice for those who have failed to be vaccinated when borders reopen.

This is a national response to a global pandemic, we do not have the luxury of acquiescent complacency.
I agree.

edit... My 2nd jab is next Friday. I am prepared to feel ugh for the following couple of days as it does its good thing . Books, hot water bottle and husband in a pinny to the ready.

Last edited by BEVS; Apr 15th 2021 at 4:31 am.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 7:32 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I think the pressure is on and more detailed plan revealed today which looks more promising but looks like the May to July period will remain at snails pace . Still not sure why they are in no hurry to go hard and fast immediately; the end of the year seems like a very low bar. Best we can hope is that they are under promising and will over deliver.
Old Apr 15th 2021, 8:52 am
Truth is the safest lie.

What I read into that is that they will need to roll out the remaining 5 million(ish) vaccines within 5 months so will need to deliver about 35,000 per day on average (probably more due to public holidays, and the fact that New Zealand closes between Christmas and New Year.) It will certainly require a different scale of operation to what we have seen so far but we have had lots of time to prepare.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.