Coronavirus

Old Jul 3rd 2020, 10:28 pm
Just Joined

EyeResign is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coronavirus

They might be able to refine the quarantine process a bit over the next few months to make things run more smoothly and make the whole thing a bit more palatable. At the moment it's two tests at either end of a 14 day quarantine. If the data supported it and there was proper isolation between quarantiners, maybe that could be reduced to one week with two tests on the last two days of the stay. Also could maybe consider other locations for quarantine with ankle monitors - holiday homes in the countryside so there's outdoor space for people being isolated. I for one am not relishing the prospect of spending 14 days in a hotel room with my toddler and infant when my visa gets released from limbo, so these are pretty selfish suggestions!
Old Jul 4th 2020, 2:23 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by EyeResign
They might be able to refine the quarantine process a bit over the next few months to make things run more smoothly and make the whole thing a bit more palatable. At the moment it's two tests at either end of a 14 day quarantine. If the data supported it and there was proper isolation between quarantiners, maybe that could be reduced to one week with two tests on the last two days of the stay. Also could maybe consider other locations for quarantine with ankle monitors - holiday homes in the countryside so there's outdoor space for people being isolated. I for one am not relishing the prospect of spending 14 days in a hotel room with my toddler and infant when my visa gets released from limbo, so these are pretty selfish suggestions!
I am also surprised that they can't cut it down with extra testing.
If they asked me t pay for extra tests and have the option of only staying a week I would jump at the chance so it would be win win for hotel spaces too.
As well as the trip on my own in August, I'm also going to try and take the kids (7&11) at Christmas, so I also have ulterior motives!
Old Jul 4th 2020, 5:14 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

I don't think they can reduce the quarantine period; quite a few of most recent cases have been picked up from the Day 12 test, after having been negative on Day 3.

However, I guess we'll never know if the outcome would be any different if they tested at Day 7, 8, 9 or 10 but it seems to be pretty well established that 14 day cycle is needed to be sure.
Old Jul 4th 2020, 5:26 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
I don't think they can reduce the quarantine period; quite a few of most recent cases have been picked up from the Day 12 test, after having been negative on Day 3.

However, I guess we'll never know if the outcome would be any different if they tested at Day 7, 8, 9 or 10 but it seems to be pretty well established that 14 day cycle is needed to be sure.
Yup
Old Jul 4th 2020, 8:24 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Gov were recently looking into drafting new laws to make it possible to do this
absolutely disgusted at this, but nothing this government does surprises me.
It's a total shambles. The dollar is tumbling, the economy is failing. The kiwi home market can only prop things up for so long before we all bankrupt ourselves supporting local businesses and accepting being overcharged for the NZ holidays and adventures we're being shamed into taking
Old Jul 4th 2020, 10:22 pm
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

I heard another interesting Guardian podcast that, surprisingly, wasn't too disparaging of the UK starting to end lockdown because at some point the country needs to get back to normal. The rapid medical advances we have already made will make a second wave look very different from the first - we now know that the majority of patients, even in ICU are better off with alternatives to ventilators (usually just oxygen), Covid can lead to sticky blood so early intervention with blood thinners will make an enormous difference, and using the steroid dexamethasone, has proven to be a very effective treatment.

With all this in mind I would take my chances - after all, we can't cut ourselves off from the rest of the world until a vaccine is found if it takes as long as the Ebola vaccine....

Old Jul 4th 2020, 11:51 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Justcol
absolutely disgusted at this, but nothing this government does surprises me.
It's a total shambles. The dollar is tumbling, the economy is failing. The kiwi home market can only prop things up for so long before we all bankrupt ourselves supporting local businesses and accepting being overcharged for the NZ holidays and adventures we're being shamed into taking
CPI data should be released next week that should offer some insight into if RBNZ have met their inflation targets.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 6:47 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day
I would take my chances - after all, we can't cut ourselves off from the rest of the world until a vaccine is found if it takes as long as the Ebola vaccine....
It's only the reality of having two weeks isolation in a hotel and not being able to do it at home that is stopping me going overseas
Old Jul 5th 2020, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
It's only the reality of having two weeks isolation in a hotel and not being able to do it at home that is stopping me going overseas
I meant that at some point, we should take our chances and reopen for the economy (and for the mental health of all the expats here and Kiwis living abroad).
Waiting for a vaccine, or until the rest of the world has eliminated Covid seems futile. We need a Plan B.

I'll report back on quarantine in August. Maybe even daily as I'll have bugger all else to do.....
Old Jul 5th 2020, 8:38 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

is how Iceland are successfully managing Coronavirus without travel quarantines.
Old Jul 5th 2020, 3:30 pm
Forum Regular

Gypsy888 is an unknown quantity at this point

Hubby and I want to go back to NZ from UK, we were contacted by NZ government to say we could go but to be quarantined for 2 weeks in hotel in city of entry. BUT, the airlines won't take pets yet so we're stuck in the UK for God knows how long.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 2:55 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Gypsy888
Hubby and I want to go back to NZ from UK, we were contacted by NZ government to say we could go but to be quarantined for 2 weeks in hotel in city of entry. BUT, the airlines won't take pets yet so we're stuck in the UK for God knows how long.
I'm sorry to hear that, I know someone in Australia who is in the same situation, it's awful. Having had dogs I totally understand, they're part of your family..

In breaking news, I broke my toe on the weekend. The self pity party is totally here today..
Old Jul 6th 2020, 10:59 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

I can't see why we can't be patient and go along as we are until a vaccine. If we open borders more, that will obviously leave NZ more vulnerable. If community spread returns, that will do far more damage to our economy (not to mention deaths, illness and misery) than what's happening now, which is business as usual apart from tourism. And I think largely closed borders will continue, regardless of the upcoming election.
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:05 pm
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day
I meant that at some point, we should take our chances.
Nup. I say don't take any chances. What would happen if we take our chances and lose. Then a few months down the track a vaccine, or life saving treatments arrive?
Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by garethwm
Nup. I say don't take any chances. What would happen if we take our chances and lose. Then a few months down the track a vaccine, or life saving treatments arrive?
I agree, take a look at Melbourne, people not taking it seriously. Now the rest of Oz and finally NSW have closed the border off. I want my Trans tasman bubble so I can get back from NSW to Chch (I can now as I live in NZ) but waiting patiently as I want to be able to move between Oz and Nz having adult children in Oz. I also work in Healthcare so want and need to be extra safe.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.