Coronavirus

Old Jul 6th 2020, 11:16 pm
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by garethwm
Nup. I say don't take any chances. What would happen if we take our chances and lose. Then a few months down the track a vaccine, or life saving treatments arrive?
What if a vaccine is never found (eg AIDS) or it takes 10 years (eg Ebola)?
Many scientists are now saying that there is a strong possibility that we will need to live with Covid long term, and that treatments are the way we can do this, but with such varied symptoms it's unlikely one treatment will fit all.

Twenty one people have died of Covid here, but you can bet your bottom dollar that more than twenty one will die as a result of lockdown - delayed diagnosis/treatment for heart conditions, cancer etc, mental illness, poverty, domestic violence etc. I'm not saying open the borders now, but I am saying that we have to be realistic about how long we can stay closed. Every decision comes at a cost.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:14 am
BE Enthusiast

garethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond reputegarethwm has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day
What if a vaccine is never found (eg AIDS) or it takes 10 years (eg Ebola)?
Many scientists are now saying that there is a strong possibility that we will need to live with Covid long term, and that treatments are the way we can do this, but with such varied symptoms it's unlikely one treatment will fit all.

Twenty one people have died of Covid here, but you can bet your bottom dollar that more than twenty one will die as a result of lockdown - delayed diagnosis/treatment for heart conditions, cancer etc, mental illness, poverty, domestic violence etc. I'm not saying open the borders now, but I am saying that we have to be realistic about how long we can stay closed. Every decision comes at a cost.
But the reason just 21 people died is because we went into lockdown. If there was no lockdown we would be like a lot of other countries. Our deaths would be in the 1000s. The net gain of lockdown is huge, including the mental health of the citizens.

Yes, there may not be a vaccine, but chances are there will be at least something, going by early results of trials. So we have to show patience and base our decisions on there either being a vaccine or on forthcoming treatments that will save people dying. I'm quite happy to sit it out until more is known. It's early days.

What do you see as the problems with carrying on as we are? Sure, tourism will take a beating economically, but this will be partly offset by kiwis holidaying at home. Otherwise it's business as usual as far as I can tell. It's the best of a bad situation IMO.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 1:43 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

I'm not promoting a wanton disregard for life, but I do believe that we should open borders as soon as we work out how to prevent people dying.

While I had great hope in a vaccine, I've recently read more and more reports saying that the short timelines are overly optimistic, and and that even if we halve the usual time for a vaccine to get to market, we are still looking at 5 years. The number of people I have heard say they just wouldn't take a rushed vaccine also worries me.
I would, I would even volunteer for trials, but a lot of people will be reluctant.

It may 'only' be tourism, but from my anecdotal experience, Kiwis just don't holiday in the same way as other nationalities.
We live in a privileged area of the North Shore, and the majority of families I know holidayed in family or friend's baches in the summer, eating and drinking in not out. Same this holiday - the only families I know who have gone away are in 'free' accommodation. Compare that to how we lived in the UK and the majority of our friends had at least one holiday per year and we had one long haul and one or two short haul, usually in hotels and always eating out. By brother in law's family who earn 3 times what we do, spend about 20% of what we spent on holidays. My friends here are looking at excursions in S Island for October, but say prices still need to halve before they will pay for them.

NZ needs all the jobs we can offer - with the amount of people returning from abroad, plus people who have lost their jobs here

And what about the skills shortages? Teachers and medical professionals? Kiwis are not going to be the ones losing their jobs abroad and returning and other nationalities will be reluctant to move here if our borders are seen as prohibitive to travel.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 5:56 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

It appears Victoria will be introducing new measures for six weeks to limit Coronavirus spread. "Lockdown lite" if you'd like.
​​​​
There seems to be some critical threshold in tests per capita that allows some countries (e.g. Iceland, South Korea etc.) to operate open border policies. Hopefully, when we reopen international travel, we will make sure that we have that as a prerequisite condition.
Old Jul 7th 2020, 8:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

I'm for opening the boarders again, to some countries.
while some countries are seeing case numbers rise again, it should be noted that the number of deaths is nowhere near what it was the first time we saw these figures. Treatments have improved,
Old Jul 8th 2020, 3:04 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

But we have opened the borders, you just sneak through the hole in the smoking area fence!
Old Jul 8th 2020, 9:25 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
But we have opened the borders, you just sneak through the hole in the smoking area fence!
He saw a weakness and exploited it.

​​​​​It's unfortunate government don't seem to be able to comprehend that people won't always do the right thing, be that following testing process before being released from isolation or voluntarily remaining in isolation. How many times before they learn the lesson?
Old Jul 10th 2020, 2:24 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Originally Posted by Charismatic
How many times before they learn the lesson?
It's becoming a daily occurrence now.
​​​​​
Old Jul 10th 2020, 11:13 pm
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
I'm not allowed to swear on here but what an idiot!
Old Jul 11th 2020, 12:04 am
Lost in BE Cyberspace

Bo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond reputeBo-Jangles has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Mishclark
I'm not allowed to swear on here but what an idiot!
He'll probably be thinking just the same; now he has been given the opportunity to reflect on his actions, whilst locked up in Spring Hill prison. LOL
Old Jul 11th 2020, 12:11 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Bo-Jangles
He'll probably be thinking just the same; now he has been given the opportunity to reflect on his actions, whilst locked up in Spring Hill prison. LOL
Hopefully 🤣
Old Jul 11th 2020, 2:22 am
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

i mean come on.
This nonsense isn't the governments fault.
What's the next option. cage everyone up for 2 weeks like quarantine dogs lol
Old Jul 11th 2020, 2:34 am
Forum Regular

And again.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/other...?ocid=msedgntp

Do you think TVNZ would be interested in "Quarantine", similar to Crystal Maze, but the aim is to escape a hotel, stock up at a supermarket and get back to your room before anyone notices you've gone.....? The use of dogs would make it more interesting.
Old Jul 11th 2020, 4:30 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hallie_day
And again.

https://www.msn.com/en-nz/news/other...?ocid=msedgntp

Do you think TVNZ would be interested in "Quarantine", similar to Crystal Maze, but the aim is to escape a hotel, stock up at a supermarket and get back to your room before anyone notices you've gone.....? The use of dogs would make it more interesting.
My god I reas crystal meth, I really need new glasses 🤣
Old Jul 11th 2020, 11:59 am
BE Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Mishclark
My god I reas crystal meth, I really need new glasses 🤣
I really do need new glasses, I can't even spell "read" ....lost cause 😁

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.