Coronavirus

Old Jun 25th 2020, 11:26 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Coronavirus

Originally Posted by SSky
Me and my hubby have both been essential workers throughout all this. .. first time we have ever felt special haha
Ironically I decided to train in a health sector as a mature aged student before Covid struck, I got stuck in Oz (I'm Australian) but ironically I'm now essential as well. Nice to also be essential isn't it 😁
Old Jun 26th 2020, 9:47 am
BE Enthusiast

Tom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond reputeTom H has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by hallie_day
I'm with you. I have flights to the UK next week to take the kids to see my parents. They are obviously cancelled and I have no idea when we can use them - I really don't want to go when the weather is bad, but also want to see them as soon as possible. The idea of having the kids in quarantine is a nightmare, but I think it's likely that our borders won't open to properly until Christmas 2021 which fills me with terror.
My dad is looking so ill and frail, that I am thinking about going on my own in August as I would never forgive myself if anything happened and I hadn't seen him for so long, but to see them for two weeks means leaving the kids for a month because of quarantine. On the plus side, my husband will get to grips with the reality that is North Shore parenting - for two kids we have 10 sports training sessions/fixtures per week and constant play dates, sleepovers and parties. The main reason I can't see myself working in the near future.

In the meantime we also have flights and a hotel on credit to the Sunshine Coast from Easter.

It's all such a bloody mess to add to the rest of my problems! x
I know how you feel with England. My Nan is very ill and I'm hoping to return to the UK soon just in case.

She llives where I grew up, in Bournemouth. I saw the images from the beach yesterday. If she catches it, I dread to think what will happen. Thanks to those down the beach yesterday.
I won't even go on about the rubbish they leave, which sadly is a common theme for beach goers outside of Bournemouth
Old Jun 26th 2020, 10:47 pm
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by Tom H
I know how you feel with England. My Nan is very ill and I'm hoping to return to the UK soon just in case.

She llives where I grew up, in Bournemouth. I saw the images from the beach yesterday. If she catches it, I dread to think what will happen. Thanks to those down the beach yesterday.
I won't even go on about the rubbish they leave, which sadly is a common theme for beach goers outside of Bournemouth

Oh mate. Hope your nan stays safe . Yes , pals are all outraged about Bmth beach et al. Same was happening all over though I think. Too many people pouring into an open space at one time. Just like the New Forest and Lulworth all over summer. Then yes, the rubbish. Not sure when people stopped caring or bothering. Rubbish was a prob even before we left with volunteer clean ups.

We were astonished that there seemed to be BBQs on the beach but not surprised at the crowds . Unless the order was to stay home or else, the extreme weather was always going to bring the hordes outdoors & not all those beach goers would have been from outside the area really. It only takes one hot day to clog the Spur Road anyway and that could just be those from Ringwood, Verwood and surrounds.

Not sure what the answer is really. Far too many people on a small mass of land all wanting to access what is left of open spaces . Not just that though. Look at London over Xmas . So crowded they have to operate a one way system.

Maybe the national parks, beaches, open spaces should come with a fee and ticket that one buys in advance . There again it would need to be policed in some way too.

I was shocked when I saw the crowds at Durdle Door as that was more a walking fossicking beach . Not suitable for swimming at all.
Old Jun 27th 2020, 4:12 am
BE Enthusiast

Mishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond reputeMishclark has a reputation beyond repute

I'm sorry to hear that as well, Tomh, I hope you can get over there..this whole thing is so crappy..
Old Jun 27th 2020, 7:18 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

My parents overlook the beach at Rustington and they said it's packed.

Just booked a flight to see them!!! BA via Sydney and Singapore 5-20 August but in reality 5 August - 3 September.
Gutted that I won't see my babies (ok, 7 and 11 year olds) for a month but I just can't put them through quarantine.

But secretly gleeful about my husband having to do do the following schedule while working (those who have read my other post will understand why):
Monday Netball practice
Tuesday Swimming lessons x 2 kids different times
Wednesday Football practice and netball match
Thursday Rugby practice
Friday Football match
Saturday morning Rugby matches afternoon Flippaball practice
Sunday afternoon

Oh and cooking, laundry, cleaning, uniform, kit and packed lunches.
Should keep him out of trouble....

Old Jun 29th 2020, 11:07 pm
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Hearing that the EU is normalizing travel for Kiwis wanting to go abroad I'm not sure how long the current level of restrictions can realistically be applied. When you start to think about how politically unpalatable will it be to tell people they can't be with their families at Christmas, visit a sick/dying family member, play a professional sport or go on OE this needs very cautious navigation. More than a quarter of New Zealands population where born abroad so it's going to become a very acute issue.

What we have with the 14-day quarantine was always likely to be an interim solution given the cost in terms of time and financial investment. It'll be interesting to hear what's next.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 10:38 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Charismatic
Hearing that the EU is normalizing travel for Kiwis wanting to go abroad I'm not sure how long the current level of restrictions can realistically be applied. When you start to think about how politically unpalatable will it be to tell people they can't be with their families at Christmas, visit a sick/dying family member, play a professional sport or go on OE this needs very cautious navigation. More than a quarter of New Zealands population where born abroad so it's going to become a very acute issue.

What we have with the 14-day quarantine was always likely to be an interim solution given the cost in terms of time and financial investment. It'll be interesting to hear what's next.
This14 day quarantine is going to be a long term 'interim solution' with Coranavirus practically eliminated here despite foul ups in the quarantining over the last few weeks. These 'new' imported cases shouldn't be surprising, the surprising factor was 21 or so days with no cases.
NZ going to be in a very difficult position over next year, with only Australia (assuming they sort out the recent outbreak in Victoria) possibly coronavirus free, and incoming travel restricted otherwise, and even with Australia it's likely to be late August before open unrestricted inbound travel.

Back in late March at the start of the lockdown, the aim was basically 'flatten the curve', however due to some luck and our relative isolated location, the unexpected success was totally containing things. Then suddenly elimination become a goal, and also some the restrictions were probably extended longer than necessary, which led to more business closures than might have been, certainly there's shops/businesses that haven't re-opened. However since Level 1, despite warnings of the 'new normal', things have been practically back to as before, which don't get me wrong, is great. Queues to enter shops, and with 1-2 metre distancing things can never be practical. Now unlike in many places, no restrictions on gatherings, no enforced mask wearing etc.

However it's clear that the rest of the world are slowly opening things, borders etc. accepting a certain level of background cases, with travel within Europe set to be unrestricted from next month.

However here in NZ we won't be able to open borders any time soon, and that's fair enough now, but if we're still in the same position this time next year, which without a vaccine it's difficult to see otherwise, it needs some thought over an exit strategy in the medium to longer term, as keeping the borders closed isn't a feasible long term solution with an economy that has a strong reliance on tourism.
Yes, 14 day quarantine can work for returning residents, and for exceptional cases, but long term, and will begin to cost a fortune on the hotel bills alone in these 1st class hotels.
Old Jun 30th 2020, 11:14 pm
BE Enthusiast

Queensland is making anyone returning there from today pay for their own mandatory hotel quarantine. They are opening their borders next week, except Vic are not allowed in. Or anywhere else.

Might still get the bubble back to NZ, just without Vic. Which is fine by me.
Old Jul 2nd 2020, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

hallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond reputehallie_day has a reputation beyond repute

For selfish reasons I'm hoping we don't start to charge here. Apparently there are constitutional issues around charging people for mandatory quarantine and I'm guessing that many of the people returning are not going to be flush with cash at the moment. Unlike many other cities around the world, Auckland seems to lack comfortable, clean, affordable hotels such like Premier Inn / Travel Lodge in the UK, giving travellers a choice of cheaper accommodation.

I also overheard (eavesdropped!) a conversation between two people who appeared to be ex colleagues in senior management in the hotel industry who said it's a blessing in disguise and the current full capacity may just save the industry and many jobs. So it's not just tax payer's money down the drain, but a vital injection into the local economy. I listened to a Guardian podcast about the homeless in UK and Covid, and many Travel Lodge/Premier Inns are being used to house them temporarily, therefore saving jobs in hotels in a similar way.
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 7:41 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Does the government intend to send bills out to everyone who has already passed through quarantine. How about charging the first crowd who were posted out at Army Bay for the hire of the convoy of campervans that were sent up there as accommodation. If not then it is wrong to charge any kiwis or perm residents
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 7:57 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Justcol
Does the government intend to send bills out to everyone who has already passed through quarantine. How about charging the first crowd who were posted out at Army Bay for the hire of the convoy of campervans that were sent up there as accommodation. If not then it is wrong to charge any kiwis or perm residents
I agree.
It's not like anyone is travelling for fun any more.
It's basically Kiwis who have lost their jobs abroad, or people like me travelling on compassionate grounds.

I get back on 22 August and I have time on my hands. If I get charged I'm happy to pursue a legal test case ;-)
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 8:02 am
Forum Regular

Timmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond reputeTimmy Chch has a reputation beyond repute

Of course not but as Europe has opened up for holidays now, you might be able to charge if say you can't prove it was for compassionate or emergency reasons, holidays charge em! Gov were recently looking into drafting new laws to make it possible to do this
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 10:16 am
BE Enthusiast

chocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond reputechocolate cake has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Timmy Chch
Of course not but as Europe has opened up for holidays now, you might be able to charge if say you can't prove it was for compassionate or emergency reasons, holidays charge em! Gov were recently looking into drafting new laws to make it possible to do this
Yeah, agree, there needs to be some charging and starting very soon.

More concerning there needs to be some medium/long term exit strategy, if the rest of the world decides to live with the virus in the background and there's no medium term likelihood of a vaccine, feasibily how long could borders be closed?
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 10:33 am
BE Enthusiast

It's all so much. What a year 2020 has been..☚ī¸
Old Jul 3rd 2020, 11:08 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by chocolate cake
More concerning there needs to be some medium/long term exit strategy, if the rest of the world decides to live with the virus in the background and there's no medium term likelihood of a vaccine, feasibily how long could borders be closed?
Not long in reality. There was a paper published today by a range of authors (inc. former Prime Minister Helen Clark) talking about the need to move onwards from blanket quarantine procedures. This will probably be post-election of course because it's a sensitive topic.
​​​​​

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.