Coromandel

Old May 11th 2007, 4:47 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future
Default Coromandel

Anyone live in Coromandel, saw the peninsula on a tv programme recently!! looks lovely!? to live? to holiday?
Old May 11th 2007, 5:05 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Coromandel

Don't live there but i'd say it's a place to holiday - very beautiful, peaceful and stress-free but for living, I'm not so sure. Terribly isolated.
Old May 11th 2007, 11:18 pm
Forum Regular

Herm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant futureHerm has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Zigzag
Anyone live in Coromandel, saw the peninsula on a tv programme recently!! looks lovely!? to live? to holiday?
It is a really beutiful place and I don't agree with the previous post that it is too isolated. Depends exactly where you are but 2 hours to Auckland, Tauranga, Hamilton and there are a number of smaller towns on the penninsula such as Thames, Whanganmata and Whitianga.

We holidayed there in 96 and seriously looked at moving but unless you are starting a business there is a distinct lack of job opportunities.

In the end we compromised - live 45 kms north of Tauranga and commute into work but only 35 minutes from Whangamata and some of the best beaches in the world.

Cheers
Old May 12th 2007, 7:07 pm
Forum Regular

Zigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant futureZigzag has a brilliant future

Originally Posted by Herm
It is a really beutiful place and I don't agree with the previous post that it is too isolated. Depends exactly where you are but 2 hours to Auckland, Tauranga, Hamilton and there are a number of smaller towns on the penninsula such as Thames, Whanganmata and Whitianga.

We holidayed there in 96 and seriously looked at moving but unless you are starting a business there is a distinct lack of job opportunities.

In the end we compromised - live 45 kms north of Tauranga and commute into work but only 35 minutes from Whangamata and some of the best beaches in the world.

Cheers
Thanks for that! I'm not bothered about being IN a city, but hubby a police officer, so no good if there's a distinct LACK of crime!!

really want to live somewhere great, and commute to work!??

s
Old May 12th 2007, 8:58 pm
Forum Regular

orca05 will become famous soon enoughorca05 will become famous soon enough

The Coramandel is really beautiful and busy in the summer months but is really quite in the winter.It is a great place for camping and has some of the most beautiful beaches.The nearest town is Wahi and the drive up to any of these places is breath taking.
Old May 13th 2007, 7:14 am

SavBlancGal is an unknown quantity at this point

We lived in Thames (the 'gateway' town to the Coromandel peninsula) for 2 years and loved it. Best of both worlds there - good community spirit, got everything you need to live comfortably if you don't want to leave town, but close enough (1-1.5 hrs drive) to three cities if you need a city fix. Coromandel township is much smaller - nice for a short break but a bit too quiet to live for me... unless you were seriously into boating/fishing.