Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Coping with aftershocks

Coping with aftershocks

Old Oct 18th 2010, 11:09 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute
Unhappy Coping with aftershocks

Just wondering how everyone else is getting on down here
Is everyone finding it easier to cope as time goes on and the aftershocks are getting less or still as worried?
For the last 2 weeks or so I have found that I am getting more upset with the shocks and more scared when they happen. I relax inbetween them apart from pricking up my ears whenever a plane or truck goes past so it's not as if I'm constantly stressed out all the time, it's just when they occur that I am affected more than I was. They are fewer in number but we have been getting some ones of higher magnitude recently and these are the ones that are now starting to make me panic more, the heart starts racing and I almost feel like I want to cry. This is so not like me as well, tough as old boots normally I had been coasting through until then, not liking them but not too anxious. We've had no real damage to the house apart from some small cracks appearing in the garage floor and I think this plays a part as well, the more we have the more chance of actual damage.

I don't panic enough to start running when they happen but the one about half an hour ago got me on my feet and nearly under the table before it stopped- bloody huge it was
Old Oct 19th 2010, 3:24 am
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of
Default Re: Coping with aftershocks

i thought that I was doing okay ... until today.

I was in town up stairs in Spotlight and things where off the shelves and the whole place rattled and rolled. It had me (and all other customers) on our knees to make sure that we didn't fall off our feet.

My next thought was how to complete long list of task, appointments and get out of town in one piece. (and with clean pants)

We are near the end of the long fault line - but the ones that hit Rolleston are gentle (ish) once they get out here. Ones from up our end, as you can imagine have us looking for cover.
But today was the worst for me. I hadn't been so far from home when one big one had hit

I definately feeling a lot more rattled and shaken and unsettled. Back to that feeling from the day after - but no adrenaline to carry you through.

As for damage. We have lots, nothing that is particularily major - but enough to be a right pain. Every room will need repainting (bar one bedroom) from cracks in gib, cracks through gib or holes from things falling through. Hot water tank needs sorting. Outside needs sealing again (along the linear). LIttle things - but such a pain.
Just hoping that EQC get to us so taht I can get the ball rolling and get the job done.
New baby arrives in Feb, and I don't fancy trying to pack up the house with every thing else.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:05 am
Queen of the Underworld

Persephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond reputePersephone has a reputation beyond repute

Hell,very scary for you. At least I was at home when that one hit today. I could see the pictures banging against the walls and the television swaying alarmingly as well as the whole house contorting. I was torn between hiding or saving the TV, luckily it stopped before anything fell over. Mr S would not have been happy if his beloved had been hurt and I wish I could say I was talking about myself. It was such a lovely quiet weekend only for it to start up again, I've felt about 3 or 4 others as well today.
Don't think I'd like to be out shopping when one that size happens, Riccarton mall was closed for a while due to some minor damage.

Unsettled is probably a good way of describing how I feel, I feel like I ought to be doing something but I don't know what that is. I think the fact that we don't really get that much of a break from them means we never have that time to deal with what has happened. The reserves are at an all time low, I don't know how those who have had major damage to their houses cope with it

Sorry to hear about your damage and hope the EQC get to you soon, I know you're moving back to the UK so the last thing you needed was this. Best of luck
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:20 am
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

I don't live down your way, nor have I ever suffered a major quake but I just wanted to offer you both my kindest wishes. It's no surprise you're feeling the way you are, I just hope it all settles soon and life can get back to normal. BE gentle with yourselves, pretty sure we'd all be feeling spooked too
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:50 am
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

I'd leave CHCH if I were you.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 6:00 pm
BE Forum Addict

chippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond reputechippy64 has a reputation beyond repute

The one you had yesterday (5.0) apparently felt more like a 6 because it was shallow.
It made BBC text here but didn't see any actual news report on it.
Haven't heard anything about it from OH and Son, staying in St Martins area of ChCh.
Quite unsettling for me because so far away - obviously nowhere near as bad as those of you that are having to live with it 24/7
Old Oct 19th 2010, 7:58 pm
---

bourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond reputebourbon-biscuit has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by crap coffee
I'd leave CHCH if I were you.
What a thoughtless thing to say.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:54 pm
ble
Forum Regular

ble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud ofble has much to be proud of

And they just keep rolling on through.

As to leaving Chch.
What - just up and leave my OH to deal with them on his own (as his job doesn't move, and neither does the mortgage), transfer two children out of school and one from kindy. One who has just broken her arm and needs treatment on it at the hospital.

And go where.
I do have familiy in the NI - so maybe I should go and try my luck in Wellington where one sister lives (and all its fault lines) or maybe up to Taranaki where my parents and another sister are - take a chance on a volcano that is due for eruption?!?

Hang in there Persephone.
What you need to do about the tv, is just throw a cushion under it so if it falls at least it has a soft landing.

I asked my OH (on the 5th floor in the centre of town) if he made it under his desk yesterday, and he told me no - he was in the conference room so went to the main office to see what everyone else was doing and they were all standing around disccusing which shelves would topple first.
Then they went to the window to watch the building across the street to see if the rest was gonig to fall.

Nothing like saving your head

To Chippy - no one was injuried, so I am sure that they are fine - just scared. And yip - I would agree with it feeling more like a 6.
The 4. somehting that passed through this morning just rattled the house a little.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 9:59 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point

My heart just goes out to you all in that area. I can not imagine the stress it must be causing you.

I have no words of wisdom other than stick together, make sure your emergency kits are in place and try and stay positive.

Much love to you all.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:15 pm
BE Forum Addict

crap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond reputecrap coffee has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by bourbon-biscuit
What a thoughtless thing to say.
Nah.. does not mean being thoughtless. Don't get me wrong.

To be frank, I've been anxious too after major earthquake hits last September. I was in overseas (in the hospital) at that time and could not even sleep for nearly two weeks.. really. It freaked me out. I cried and wanted to return to NZ asap, coz had me worried SOoooooo MUCH. but there was no flight I could return anytime sooner. My dad tried to calm me down even on the tube, he even drew pictures of the earth, and mantle etc, he tried to explain hard - - Its unlikely that we are going to have another major earthquakes - sooner/in near future. and even if there's one, it is very unlikely that you will die. Anyway thought I was going to go MAD!!!! and I did not want to believe whatever he said!!!

am aware of the earthquake every moment/being nervous too often lately, and when there's a small tremor (not necessarily earthquake), my heart starts beating fast. It literally drives me nuts. am actually thinking what I am gonna do - am still torning between hiding under the dining table in the kitchen, or just staying in bed and die??? if earthquake hit at night? ?

I live in Welly - and this is where I want to be, however I doubt that I can cope numerous aftershocks like CHCH for months and months then (It IS terribly stressful).... probably I would leave. Not that I am being thoughtless or wanna move to somewhere, no no no. because it would make feel anxious more and more with the continual aftershocks, ..... and I'd probably would die from a heartattack.

Well I am still here .. My family has suggested that I should move to Auckland for safety reasons, but thats not what I really want to do.

Yes, WE'RE ALL IN THE SAME BOAT.

Last edited by crap coffee; Oct 19th 2010 at 10:50 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 10:42 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Thanks everyone,
Good idea about the cushion! The big tv didn't fall over during the big 7.1 quake but the difference was that this time I could see it moving
I'm generally ok, in fact the big one we had yesterday was the only one that I even bothered to actually move for! To a certain extent I'm used to them now, the house hasn't fallen down despite the constant battering so I don't expect it to suddenly try and collapse on my head. It's only the bigger ones that get my poor heart racing

Leaving Chch is a great idea but where would we go, nowhere in NZ is safe from the risk of quakes, our jobs and homes are here. It isn't that easy to just pack up your life and move somewhere else and we don't even have kids to worry about. This is something we just have to get through down here, they will reduce further in frequency even though they're likely to go on for months. The smaller ones aren't too bad-as ble said the 4.5 this morning was just a small rattle and shake moving through the house.

Chippy, your family will be fine, a little shaken maybe but ok physically. Same as everyone else down here. The big one yesterday did feel more like a 6, it was much worse than the other 5s we've had recently...When are you coming to join the party, it's really rocking down here
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:01 pm
Queen of the Underworld

Originally Posted by crap coffee
Nah.. does not mean being thoughtless. Don't get me wrong.

I live in Welly - and this is where I want to be, however I doubt that I can cope numerous aftershocks like CHCH for months and months then (It IS terribly stressful).... probably I would leave. Not that I am being thoughtless or wanna move to somewhere, no no no. because it would make feel anxious more and more with the continual aftershocks, ..... and I'd probably would die from a heartattack.

The vagaries of the written word. More a personal opinion of what you would do rather than 'toughen up and move on if it it affects you that much' .
No problem
The aftershocks do make you anxious but you do learn/have to cope with them. The small ones generally pass by with only a comment of 'well I think that was a 3.8'. All budding seismologists here now
Remember no one died here, partly due to the timing but also due to building regs. Have a plan ready for if one hits, where to hide if you're in bed and so on. I didn't for the 7.1 and ended up in a foetal position under the bedclothes quivering, not the best course of action I was alone as Mr S always seems to be out of town when the bigger ones hit Yep he's barely been here for the last three weeks...
Stop worrying and Don't Panic [as the Hitchhikers Guide to the Galaxy says!]

Last edited by Persephone; Oct 19th 2010 at 11:15 pm.
Old Oct 19th 2010, 11:55 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond reputeJan n Neil has a reputation beyond repute

Ironically another small shake occurred while I was reading this thread

I'm well OVER it now, as you said, each aftershock increases the chance of the small damage to our house becoming bigger damage. one of my staff has had it confirmed her house has to be demolished. From what she has been saying this morning after the 5 yesterday and the 4.5 today, it seems as though it might actually fall down first....

Bit of an eye opener for Neil's son - he arrived last week to do 6 months over here

I do know a bit about the subject, but it does concern me that the epicentres are moving about. I understand the ground is relaxing etc etc, but yesterday there was one out at Mandeville: the first aftershock centred there. Exactly, to the precise spot, where we live.

Jan
Old Oct 20th 2010, 12:16 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I'm just so sorry that everyone down there is still having to go through this. The nerves must be totally frazzled.
Just have to hope that it all stops very soon. Enough is enough. You people deserve a bit of peace now. In fact, you deserved that after the first flippin' quake.
Old Oct 20th 2010, 5:12 am
BE Forum Addict

luvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond reputeluvwelly has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
I'm just so sorry that everyone down there is still having to go through this. The nerves must be totally frazzled.
Just have to hope that it all stops very soon. Enough is enough. You people deserve a bit of peace now. In fact, you deserved that after the first flippin' quake.
I have to agree...I would definitely want to leave if it happened in Wellington...assuming I survived of course..lots of precipices here for house to fall down...at least Christchurch is relatively flat.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.