Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Cooking Hangi style

Cooking Hangi style

Old May 10th 2008, 6:00 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Cooking Hangi style

Has anyone cooked Hangi style? I plan on doing this next weekend for a party. I have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer:

Are paving bricks suitable to use or will they crack/crumble?
Instead of burning the fire in the same pit as I will cook in, I thought about having the fire in a separate pit and then transferring the bricks to the cooking pit when they are hot enough, this way it should eliminate the ash from the fire. Has anyone any thoughts on this, other than making sure they are moved quickly and don't go cold?

Cheers
Old May 10th 2008, 9:15 am
BE Enthusiast

cally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond reputecally49 has a reputation beyond repute
Smile Re: Cooking Hangi style

Hi there i wouldnt have thought that paving bricks or similar would hold their heat for the required time.
I did a google search 4 u and found this hope it helps and good luck!

http://www.suzy.co.nz/SuzysWorld/Fac...?FactSheet=269

Cheers
Cally
Old May 10th 2008, 10:46 am
BE Enthusiast

Loch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to beholdLoch Lomond is a splendid one to behold
Default Re: Cooking Hangi style

Thanks for the info. I had looked at a few websites but hadn't seen that one.

I wanted to use the pavers as I have a pile of them, maybe need to look at an alternate source.

Cheers
Old May 13th 2008, 10:37 am
Forum Regular

tehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant futuretehori has a brilliant future

[QUOTE=Loch Lomond;6331792]Has anyone cooked Hangi style? I plan on doing this next weekend for a party. I have a couple of questions hopefully someone can answer:

Are paving bricks suitable to use or will they crack/crumble?
Instead of burning the fire in the same pit as I will cook in, I thought about having the fire in a separate pit and then transferring the bricks to the cooking pit when they are hot enough, this way it should eliminate the ash from the fire. Has anyone any thoughts on this, other than making sure they are moved quickly and don't go cold?

Cheers[/

I use old railway wagon brake shoes, they
work well.
Yep, heat your stones etc in a fire on the ground, then roll them into the pit.
Brush off any ash with a steel welding brush before they go into the pit, stops the kai being too smokey.
I use old stainless washing machine bowls to
put the food in.
To dig pit, if twelve tonne digger not available, use spade.
Old May 14th 2008, 6:10 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

What with all our geothermal activity, we tend to stick the food in a hole with steam coming out.
Voila.....cooked.
A whole roast dinner can be chucked in the local communal hangi, leave til dinner time, pull out and eat. No-one seems to rob it.......which is nice.
Old May 14th 2008, 2:07 pm
BE Enthusiast

Thanks for the reponses everyone.

Originally Posted by hazeandsteve
What with all our geothermal activity, we tend to stick the food in a hole with steam coming out.
Voila.....cooked.
A whole roast dinner can be chucked in the local communal hangi, leave til dinner time, pull out and eat. No-one seems to rob it.......which is nice.
Are you serious??
I thought with natural pressure in geothermal areas that a lot of sulphur is present?
Old May 15th 2008, 8:15 am
HAPPY AS...

hazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond reputehazeandsteve has a reputation beyond repute

Nah Bro, justa really intensive dose of heat in a small areaq, ideal for hangi cooking