Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Converting UK driving license to NZ

Converting UK driving license to NZ

Old Nov 27th 2019, 2:04 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting UK driving license to NZ

Originally Posted by Charismatic
​​​​​​New Zealand:
Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 7.8
Road fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles: 10

United Kingdom:
Road fatalities per 100,000 inhabitants per year: 3.1
Road fatalities per 100,000 motor vehicles: 5.7

You could argue New Zealands roads are more varied but equally the UK typically has more inclement weather and more traffic due to its population density.

​​​​​​In my view it comes down to driver training and testing issue. It's insufficient to tell people to do their best, they need to know what to do and then to do their best. If New Zealand had a motto it'd be "She'll be right" but, unfortunately, driving standards is one of those areas where indifference to quality results in a very high error rate. Sometimes those errors cause deaths.
NZ roads are not dangerous, alas many of the drivers and riders are. Admittedly some very precipitous roads have no barriers, that could be deemed ‘a danger’. But generally a road will never kill you. I have been driving a car 45 years and a had a motor bike license since 1997. The only thing that will kill you is your stupidity, someone else’s or a mistake or misjudgement you or someone else makes.

I agree with Justcol and think that NZ roads are amazing for bike riding and to the original OP....I felt like you but got it changed over when I got here in 2005 and when my wife did one in 2013 I bought another motor bike!! If you do not do the immediate switch over you have to start all over again....... after a year I think it is...that is the time they give you to convert your foreign license.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 3:30 am
Truth is the safest lie.

Charismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond reputeCharismatic has a reputation beyond repute

Forgot to plug that if you do want to do a little road trip this summer we have a thread here with some recommended drives by stuff.co.nz and forum users. When you leave the settlements behind New Zealands natural scenery is abundance and absolutely spectacular.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 3:31 am
Forum Regular

A4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond reputeA4Ron has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Genesis

NZ roads are not dangerous, alas many of the drivers and riders are. Admittedly some very precipitous roads have no barriers, that could be deemed ‘a danger’. But generally a road will never kill you. I have been driving a car 45 years and a had a motor bike license since 1997. The only thing that will kill you is your stupidity, someone else’s or a mistake or misjudgement you or someone else makes.

I agree with Justcol and think that NZ roads are amazing for bike riding and to the original OP....I felt like you but got it changed over when I got here in 2005 and when my wife did one in 2013 I bought another motor bike!! If you do not do the immediate switch over you have to start all over again....... after a year I think it is...that is the time they give you to convert your foreign license.
The problem is on State Highway 1 etc when a truck or large vehicle has a tyre-blow-out and veers into oncoming traffic with 190kmh closing distance because there's no infrastructure to separate vehicles travelling in opposite directions....
Having 190kmh-200kmh closing distances with only 12 inches of open air separating traffic is lunacy and very ignorant of NZTA to be fair
Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:23 am
BE Enthusiast

Clappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond reputeClappy has a reputation beyond repute

I would suggest that anybody with complaints about the construction of roads in this country today should take a drive along the 309 road that runs across the Coromandel or try the roads around Mangawhai Heads. See what all the roads here used to be like and then the current ones don't look so bad.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:46 am
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by A4Ron
The problem is on State Highway 1 etc when a truck or large vehicle has a tyre-blow-out and veers into oncoming traffic with 190kmh closing distance because there's no infrastructure to separate vehicles travelling in opposite directions....
Having 190kmh-200kmh closing distances with only 12 inches of open air separating traffic is lunacy and very ignorant of NZTA to be fair
Indeed, very valid point. But even median strips get taken out in some high impact collisions where they are present. Shit happens. The real problem in this country is the aggressive, uncourteous and uncompromising nature of too many drivers. Driving to be both safe and effective needs to have an air of symbiosis about it. Too many drivers here think the road is there for just their convenience and they will use it as they see fit.
Old Nov 27th 2019, 6:52 am
Forum Regular

grant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nicegrant r is just really nice

Originally Posted by BEVS
It really isn't.

Just adopt defensive driving strategies. Remember that insurance is not compulsory here. That most are not taught how to drive. That the road signage means nothin' . Then you'll be right.
Insurance is not compulsory 😮 wow I did not know that
Old Nov 27th 2019, 7:14 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

Originally Posted by grant r
Insurance is not compulsory 😮 wow I did not know that
No. It isn't. So all on you.
Look. Just be sensible. Adopt defensive driving tactics and keep aware. .
Old Nov 27th 2019, 5:03 pm
BE Forum Addict

escapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond reputeescapedtonz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Clappy
I would suggest that anybody with complaints about the construction of roads in this country today should take a drive along the 309 road that runs across the Coromandel or try the roads around Mangawhai Heads. See what all the roads here used to be like and then the current ones don't look so bad.
Ha Ha! The 309. Best road in NZ. Mrs won't let me drive on that road ever again
I remember being in Paraparaumu once on the motorbike and the rest of the family doing something in Upper Hutt so had this crazy idea of meeting up for lunch and me taking the short cut (44 KM's) through the Akatarawa's.........wow, now that was a crazy road. I suppose at least it was sealed!!!