Reload this Page >

Converting UK driving license to NZ

Converting UK driving license to NZ

Old Nov 14th 2019, 8:54 am
Just Joined

Stonesy93 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Converting UK driving license to NZ

Hi,

Just wanted to know from someone who has converted their license recently from UK to NZ, what is the process? How straightforward is it? Does the NZTA (or the centre you hand your application in) contact the DVLA etc?

Any information would be hugely appreciated 😊
Old Nov 14th 2019, 6:17 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Converting UK driving license to NZ

Originally Posted by Stonesy93
Hi,

Just wanted to know from someone who has converted their license recently from UK to NZ, what is the process? How straightforward is it? Does the NZTA (or the centre you hand your application in) contact the DVLA etc?

Any information would be hugely appreciated 😊
depends what categories you are changing over..
What categories do you have on your licence
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:49 pm
Just Joined

Originally Posted by jarv5116
depends what categories you are changing over..
What categories do you have on your licence
I have B and B1 and also my motorcycle license however I dont want to convert my motorcycle license over as I dont want to ride anymore.
Old Nov 14th 2019, 7:53 pm
Forum Regular

jarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond reputejarv5116 has a reputation beyond repute

It's pretty straight forward.
Take your british licence into the NZTA or AA which is the same as or DVLA and ask for NZ licence.
They just transfer a car licence straight over. think it cost 30 dollars.
Aw, you need todo a eye test in the AA or NZTA.
They have a template on there system which tells them the correct licences in NZ categories you are entitled too.

To be honest I wouldn't worry about doing the tests out here if you had todo them. if u have been driving in uk for long time.
All the lads at my work just do the test and pass. No lessons or anything. In a Auto.

Last edited by jarv5116; Nov 14th 2019 at 8:08 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 2:54 am
cym
Forum Regular

cym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond reputecym has a reputation beyond repute

when I did mine it was a sratch card for each class and an eye test, which is a joke.
I think you were allowed 2 wrong answers before it became a fail.
These days I believe it's all done on the computer (but still at the AA or NZTA).

if you have a grandfather rights UK licence then hold on to it. I wish I kept mine going because now if I go back I have to resit my UK test, and have lost all the catagories that were on my 1977 licence - lol

I suggest a quick read of the road users manual over here, if only to realise how many kiwi drivers ought to read it!
Old Nov 15th 2019, 3:00 am
Just Joined

I have been driving over here on my UK license as I have up until a year before I have to swap it over. I was just wondering if they ever contact the DVLA to check if a UK driver has points on their license or something like that?
Old Nov 15th 2019, 4:47 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have been driving over here on my UK license as I have up until a year before I have to swap it over. I was just wondering if they ever contact the DVLA to check if a UK driver has points on their license or something like that?
Why?

Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:36 am
Just Joined

Why? Because I'm not sure if I have and if I have will they carry over to here? πŸ€·πŸΌβ€β™‚οΈ
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:42 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

you have to show your UK licence so they can access it, so if you do have points on it I'm sure they will find them so best to be honest.
https://www.nzta.govt.nz/driver-lice...river-licence/

"Your application will then be sent to the NZ Transport Agency for your overseas driver licence to be assessed"
Old Nov 15th 2019, 5:56 am
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

however I dont want to convert my motorcycle license over as I dont want to ride anymore.
UK points would count for nowt down here. I think as long as you're entitled to drive and not banned, it shouldn't cause any hassle

NZ has some of the best roads in the world with next to no traffic. Perfect for any type of motorcycle, from scooters to hyper tourers. It cost nowt to get the bike added to a NZ license, you might as well keep it, you never no, you might just have a change of heart one day

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 15th 2019 at 6:00 am.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:39 am
Just Joined

Thanks so much for your help
Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:06 am
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
UK points would count for nowt down here. I think as long as you're entitled to drive and not banned, it shouldn't cause any hassle

NZ has some of the best roads in the world with next to no traffic. Perfect for any type of motorcycle, from scooters to hyper tourers.
You have really gotta be kidding me Col. Big time. Why would you even say that. ?
NZ has really the most dangerous NZ drivers and roads mostly due to their unawareness and the poor maintenance of the road surfaces. Visitors and overseas drivers are often targeted as an excuse for the dreadful driving here and the dreadful roads. Yet it is home grown.

If this person has a poor driving record then I would hope that would be picked up, and so would you surely?

Mate. If you know you have points on your UK license then do the right thing. You did not stick to the rules then own it.
It is not a game on the roads. It is a life.

Old Nov 15th 2019, 8:16 am
Just Joined

What are you talking about mate, sorry I'm confused? My license is clean. I havent been in the UK for near 5 years. My question was to see if when swapping the license over does the equivalent of DVLA here contact the DVLA back in the UK as I know from some of my friends from other countries they don't do the that. I have nothing to hide, it was just mainly as my license is not in the best condition due to wear and tear so to say after having it for years.
thanks for all the help btw, much appreciated.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:20 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by BEVS
:
You have really gotta be kidding me Col. Big time. Why would you even say that. ?
NZ has really the most dangerous NZ drivers and roads mostly due to their unawareness and the poor maintenance of the road surfaces. Visitors and overseas drivers are often targeted as an excuse for the dreadful driving here and the dreadful roads. Yet it is home grown.
I take it you don't ride motorcycles Bev's. Of course there are some idiots on the road, as a biker that's something you live with every time you pull on your helmet. NZ is no more dangerous than many other countries.
​​​​​​Bikers travel from all over the world to ride the roads in NZ. The surfaces are pretty good, they twist, turn and meander through stunning scenery and surroundings. They are a motorcyclists dream.

Sorry Stonesy93, I wasn't suggesting your license was dodgy, just generalising and pointing out that driving points on a UK license are not transferred to a NZ one. But if a person was banned in the UK they effectively have no license so it may cause issues here.

Last edited by Justcol; Nov 15th 2019 at 7:22 pm.
Old Nov 15th 2019, 7:26 pm
`

Originally Posted by Justcol
I take it you don't ride motorcycles Bev's. Of course there are some idiots on the road, as a biker that's something you live with every time you pull on your helmet. NZ is no more dangerous than many other countries.
​​​​​​Bikers travel from all over the world to ride the roads in NZ. The surfaces are pretty good, they twist, turn and meander through stunning scenery and surroundings. They are a motorcyclist dream.

Sorry OP I wasn't suggesting your license was dodgy, just generalising and pointing out that driving points on a UK license are not transferred to a NZ one. But if a person was banned in the UK they effectively have no license so it may cause issues here.
I've ridden motorbikes Col. Not here though. In the UK and around the Continent.
To be fair I mistook your post a bit. I was talking about overall standards here - drivers/roads - which are not good at all. You were talking motorcyclist risks.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.