Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Converting to a New Zealand driving license

Converting to a New Zealand driving license

Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:25 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of
Default Converting to a New Zealand driving license

Well, I finally got round to doing the test and it was far easier than I expected. I'd been putting it off since last April thinking I wasn't ready but it's an absolute piece of cake. Just get the road code book, learn the answers to the possible questions and go for it!
For those who haven't done it, to convert from a full UK to a full NZ license you just need to have an eye test, proof of residence and complete a 35 question multiple choice scratch card. The whole thing takes about half an hour.
Don't put it off, get it over and done with.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:27 am

dreamfish is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Converting to a New Zealand driving license

Originally Posted by Markk
Well, I finally got round to doing the test and it was far easier than I expected. I'd been putting it off since last April thinking I wasn't ready but it's an absolute piece of cake. Just get the road code book, learn the answers to the possible questions and go for it!
For those who haven't done it, to convert from a full UK to a full NZ license you just need to have an eye test, proof of residence and complete a 35 question multiple choice scratch card. The whole thing takes about half an hour.
i thought you had a test on the roads too? is that not the case? sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:29 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by dreamfish
i thought you had a test on the roads too? is that not the case? sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet
Only if you leave it longer than 12 months! No dramas!!!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:33 am
sky
Banned

sky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond reputesky has a reputation beyond repute

Only if you leave it longer than 12 months! No dramas!!!
Took me less than five mins ... I didn't believe it was that easy and was turning the card over and wondering where the rest of the questions were. don't worry about it folks
Old Jan 9th 2007, 9:37 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by sky
Took me less than five mins ... I didn't believe it was that easy and was turning the card over and wondering where the rest of the questions were. don't worry about it folks

I know, couldn't believe it really. The really funny thing is seeing the 'ticks' emerge as you do them. I was expecting to have to hand it in and then wait for the results. I feel a bit embarassed thinking about it now, they must have thought I was a grinning idiot as I handed it in....
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:07 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

I actually got my restricted in NZ, I found that unlike the British theory test, you actually do have to do some reading before hand! Tell me Mark, will I have to surrender my British license when I change it to Kiwi? I hope not.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:27 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by Littletoe
I actually got my restricted in NZ, I found that unlike the British theory test, you actually do have to do some reading before hand! Tell me Mark, will I have to surrender my British license when I change it to Kiwi? I hope not.
No, you don't have to surrender it, but you won't be able to use it in New Zealand once you have a full NZ one.
Old Jan 9th 2007, 10:43 am
Sweeeeet!

Littletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond reputeLittletoe has a reputation beyond repute

No, you don't have to surrender it, but you won't be able to use it in New Zealand once you have a full NZ one.
OK, that's great. I was worried about visits back home and not having my UK license. Plus a UK license is bloody hard to get!
Old Jan 9th 2007, 3:27 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats Mark! Even if it was easy.