British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Converting to a New Zealand driving license (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/converting-new-zealand-driving-license-417711/)

Markk Jan 9th 2007 9:25 am

Converting to a New Zealand driving license

Well, I finally got round to doing the test and it was far easier than I expected. I'd been putting it off since last April thinking I wasn't ready but it's an absolute piece of cake. Just get the road code book, learn the answers to the possible questions and go for it! :D
For those who haven't done it, to convert from a full UK to a full NZ license you just need to have an eye test, proof of residence and complete a 35 question multiple choice scratch card. The whole thing takes about half an hour.
Don't put it off, get it over and done with. :)

dreamfish Jan 9th 2007 9:27 am

Re: Converting to a New Zealand driving license

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 4262754)
Well, I finally got round to doing the test and it was far easier than I expected. I'd been putting it off since last April thinking I wasn't ready but it's an absolute piece of cake. Just get the road code book, learn the answers to the possible questions and go for it! :D
For those who haven't done it, to convert from a full UK to a full NZ license you just need to have an eye test, proof of residence and complete a 35 question multiple choice scratch card. The whole thing takes about half an hour.

i thought you had a test on the roads too? is that not the case? sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Markk Jan 9th 2007 9:29 am

Originally Posted by dreamfish (Post 4262758)
i thought you had a test on the roads too? is that not the case? sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet

Only if you leave it longer than 12 months! No dramas!!!

sky Jan 9th 2007 9:33 am

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 4262767)
Only if you leave it longer than 12 months! No dramas!!!

Took me less than five mins ... I didn't believe it was that easy and was turning the card over and wondering where the rest of the questions were. don't worry about it folks :)

Markk Jan 9th 2007 9:37 am

Originally Posted by sky (Post 4262777)
Took me less than five mins ... I didn't believe it was that easy and was turning the card over and wondering where the rest of the questions were. don't worry about it folks :)

I know, couldn't believe it really. The really funny thing is seeing the 'ticks' emerge as you do them. I was expecting to have to hand it in and then wait for the results. I feel a bit embarassed thinking about it now, they must have thought I was a grinning idiot as I handed it in.... :D :o

Littletoe Jan 9th 2007 10:07 am

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 4262754)

I actually got my restricted in NZ, I found that unlike the British theory test, you actually do have to do some reading before hand! Tell me Mark, will I have to surrender my British license when I change it to Kiwi? I hope not.

Markk Jan 9th 2007 10:27 am

Originally Posted by Littletoe (Post 4262875)
I actually got my restricted in NZ, I found that unlike the British theory test, you actually do have to do some reading before hand! Tell me Mark, will I have to surrender my British license when I change it to Kiwi? I hope not.

No, you don't have to surrender it, but you won't be able to use it in New Zealand once you have a full NZ one.

Littletoe Jan 9th 2007 10:43 am

Originally Posted by Markk (Post 4262919)
No, you don't have to surrender it, but you won't be able to use it in New Zealand once you have a full NZ one.

OK, that's great. I was worried about visits back home and not having my UK license. Plus a UK license is bloody hard to get!

Maz Jan 9th 2007 3:27 pm

Congrats Mark! Even if it was easy. ;) :)