Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

contracts exchanged, container booked, wow this is it!

contracts exchanged, container booked, wow this is it!

Old Jul 29th 2013, 10:25 pm
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all
Default contracts exchanged, container booked, wow this is it!

I can't believe it is actually really happening! We are so excited because there was a time when we never thought this would happen and now it's all falling into place. The container arrives next Tuesday and the house sale completes on the Thursday. We will be coming over in september but haven't booked our flights yet. I've never once had any doubts in the 5 years that we've wanted to do this, but all of a sudden I feel quite scared. I didn't expect such ambivalent feelings, fear, excitement, happiness, trepidation etc. Has anybody else felt like this? ,
Old Jul 29th 2013, 11:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

barnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond reputebarnsleymat has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: contracts exchanged, container booked, wow this is it!

Originally Posted by kazandav
I can't believe it is actually really happening! We are so excited because there was a time when we never thought this would happen and now it's all falling into place. The container arrives next Tuesday and the house sale completes on the Thursday. We will be coming over in september but haven't booked our flights yet. I've never once had any doubts in the 5 years that we've wanted to do this, but all of a sudden I feel quite scared. I didn't expect such ambivalent feelings, fear, excitement, happiness, trepidation etc. Has anybody else felt like this? ,
100% normal and those feelings get even more intense the closer it comes to leaving, I was a broken man for the 2 weeks before flying out, I turned into a complete mess. So buckle up for an emotional rollercoaster ride.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 12:57 am
BE Enthusiast

moonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to beholdmoonie2011 is a splendid one to behold

Congrats kazandav, good luck and hope all goes smoothly

We have been here 2 mths and although for the 2 1/2 yr journey trying to get here I was excited and raring to go, since being here I have had two rather large meltdowns saying I want to go home, hubby keeps me going though.

Our container arrived yesterday and the rental that I have had tears over, worrying whether we are in the right place, right house, right school etc, is now starting to feel like home with all our stuff in it.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 1:30 am
BE Forum Addict

TommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond reputeTommyLuck has a reputation beyond repute

Congrats.

All the best on your move.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 2:30 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Yes, agree with other posters - the excitement can wear off when the reality of NZ not being the promised land hits home.... you will probably wonder whether you have done the right thing, quite often!
For me, we are nearly 2 years in and I'm reaching a point where I can almost see it becoming home... not quite though - but it is really fun to have been here and done it even if it is only for a couple of years.
Better than sitting in the UK just doing the same old, same old.
Old Jul 30th 2013, 5:17 pm
Just Joined

Zuzuspetals is an unknown quantity at this point

Well done, that is exciting.
And your feelings are normal. You're leaving familiar things and you don't really know what's around the corner, but to be honest that's always true, wherever you live.
Remember you've planned for it and you're doing it together, so take one day at a time and good luck with the packing!
Old Jul 31st 2013, 1:43 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Hold on tight, it's one hell of a ride ! (and I don't mean the flight to NZ either !)
Old Jul 31st 2013, 1:56 am
Forum Regular

marooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud ofmarooned5 has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Snap Shot
Hold on tight, it's one hell of a ride ! (and I don't mean the flight to NZ either !)

It is if you land in Wellington on a windy (ie any!) day
Old Jul 31st 2013, 9:20 pm
Forum Regular

kazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to allkazandav is a name known to all

Aw thanks so much everyone for the replies, I feel much better now. It's good to know my feelings are entirely normal! We've been cleaning our walking boots with jeyes fluid today, I can smell it all round the house, its awful. My lounge is like an obstacle course as well with all the boxes around. It's so hard trying to condense your life into boxes lol.
Old Aug 1st 2013, 7:50 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by kazandav
Aw thanks so much everyone for the replies, I feel much better now. It's good to know my feelings are entirely normal! We've been cleaning our walking boots with jeyes fluid today, I can smell it all round the house, its awful. My lounge is like an obstacle course as well with all the boxes around. It's so hard trying to condense your life into boxes lol.
At times like this you wonder if sandals and long hair is the way to go ! However, back to the real world.....