Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

CONTRACTS - broadband, mobiles etc ...

CONTRACTS - broadband, mobiles etc ...

Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:25 pm

Am Loolah is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CONTRACTS - broadband, mobiles etc ...

Hello all ... again!

We were just wondering how one stands on contracts that you've taken out for these types of services? If we have an 18 month mobile contract, that is say into month 5 when we emigrate, are we able to just cancel it on the basis of we are leaving the country, or are we held liable for the remaining 13 months?

We are thinking to change our broadband supplier and they offer a lower rate for the first 6 months, on condition you sign up for the higher rate for 12 months, an 18 month contract in total. If we did this, we would only be halfway through the initial 6 months when we hope to leave the UK?

Don't want to be paying full amount for a service for 12 months after we've gone.

Anyone had similiar and know the outcome please?

Thanks all.
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:27 pm
Account Closed

mazi is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: CONTRACTS - broadband, mobiles etc ...

Originally Posted by Am Loolah
Hello all ... again!

We were just wondering how one stands on contracts that you've taken out for these types of services? If we have an 18 month mobile contract, that is say into month 5 when we emigrate, are we able to just cancel it on the basis of we are leaving the country, or are we held liable for the remaining 13 months?

We are thinking to change our broadband supplier and they offer a lower rate for the first 6 months, on condition you sign up for the higher rate for 12 months, an 18 month contract in total. If we did this, we would only be halfway through the initial 6 months when we hope to leave the UK?

Don't want to be paying full amount for a service for 12 months after we've gone.

Thanks all.
Can't you just cancel any DDs etc. and leg it?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:29 pm

Originally Posted by mazi
Can't you just cancel any DDs etc. and leg it?
But Mazi - that would be wrong?!

The thought never crossed my mind?!

Seeing what the grown-up PC version is!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:31 pm
Account Closed

But Mazi - that would be wrong?!

The thought never crossed my mind?!

Seeing what the grown-up PC version is!
Loolah loolah, what grown up PC, what are you talking about?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:35 pm

Loolah loolah, what grown up PC, what are you talking about?
The sensible, mature, there's a nice, politically correct solution to the problem, rather than doing the dirty and running off!!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:44 pm
BE Forum Addict

Jude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to beholdJude J is a splendid one to behold

The sensible, mature, there's a nice, politically correct solution to the problem, rather than doing the dirty and running off!!
I dont know this....but i imagine the sensible way might cost you a few quid.
Have you read the contract? What does it say about cancelling early?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:45 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Hello all ... again!

Thanks all.
You just reminded me that our satellite TV contract is year-to-year, restarting every May. We have to pay a US$250 fee to cancel early. It'll probably say in your contract what happens. And if it doesn't, that means it's open for negotiation. Can you switch mobiles to a pay-as-you-go option instead of renewing for a long contractual period?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 7:54 pm
Account Closed

yes I worked it out when I went to make my hot apple juice. I thought you were talking about computers at first. Truly!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:03 pm

Originally Posted by Jude J
I dont know this....but i imagine the sensible way might cost you a few quid.
Have you read the contract? What does it say about cancelling early?
Contracts? What contracts? This is me remember Jude? Where might these contracts be? In the sock drawer? Under the bed? In the dogs' bowl?
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:14 pm
you dewty owld maan!

lardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond reputelardyl has a reputation beyond repute

Contracts? What contracts? This is me remember Jude? Where might these contracts be? In the sock drawer? Under the bed? In the dogs' bowl?
check out the "internet thingy" "website wotsit" provided of course you can remember who the contract is with and what it is for........
seriously though, T&Cs are often on websites of mobile phone companies, ISPs, etc......
I might be doing a runner on some Court cases I have outstanding so perhaps we could abscond together --- bummer, I have already posted where I am going to go and when MrsL is starting work....... :scared:
Old Nov 15th 2006, 8:14 pm
Account Closed

Just do a runner, for goodness' sake!
Old Nov 15th 2006, 9:09 pm
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Damn fine idea!!!!

Old Nov 15th 2006, 11:08 pm
Maz

Maz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond reputeMaz has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by Paladin
Damn fine idea!!!!

Now you two behave yourselves!
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:33 am
Forum Regular

Markk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud ofMarkk has much to be proud of

Hello all ... again!

Thanks all.
Just tell them you are emigrating a hope for the best. We were half way through a 1 year contract for Virgin Broadband and they great about and waived the fee. Direct Line on the other hand, we were ONE month short of the end of our three year fixed term mortgage and they applied they still penalised us. If we ever come back we WON'T be using them.
Onetel for the telephone, well don't get me started. Rude words come to mind. I have violent dreams about them.
Old Nov 16th 2006, 6:52 am
BE Enthusiast

Paladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud ofPaladin has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by Maz
Now you two behave yourselves!

Me? Misbehave? I'm very quiet and sensible as you know!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.