British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Contract job offer (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/contract-job-offer-944913/)

stevenfoster13 Jul 28th 2022 6:59 am

Contract job offer

I’ve just been offered a 12month initial contract, which will then become a 12 month rolling contract. I’ve never done contract work before so don’t know the ins and outs. I’ve been told I will need to have public liability insurance and be gst registered. The package does look appealing but when you factor in everything else, I’m not sure if it’s as appealing as it sounds. The job is in Upper Hutt, not somewhere I know much about. We all have NZ passports so don’t need visa’s.
My daughter is 16 and due to start college in September studying psychology, law, English literature and possibly Spanish, then hopefully going to university to study behavioural science . She is also a newly qualified swim teacher.
I know she will have to go back to school in NZ, but am unsure of subjects she has to do other than english, maths and science, or even if it’s possible to follow her chosen career path in NZ.
Any advise would be much appreciated

Tate Jul 29th 2022 3:09 am

Re: Contract job offer

Hi, contract work in NZ is normally offered on a fixed-term basis.

Employers tend to favour employing people in this manner, often to deal with a specific piece of work, while retaining flexibility in the workforce.

The agreed hourly rate needs to reflect the lack benefits associated with full-time employment (including no paid annual leave or statutory holidays, no sickness leave, redundancy pay etc). A two or four week period of notice is generally all that is required/given.

Yes, you will require PL insurance, it is readily available and inexpensive (if you were employed via an Agency, they generally provide PL insurance and deduct the cost from your agreed hourly rate).

GST registration is required if you reach the NZD60k pa GST threshold.

There are worse places in NZ to live than Upper Hutt.

Cheers, Tate.

Justcol Jul 29th 2022 6:20 am

The schooling side of things for your daughter could be an issue.
She will essentially go back a year and repeat her final school year but with vastly different subjects. She will then do years 12 and 13 which are the NZ equivalent of the UK college years.
The variety of subjects available is woeful compared to the uk. I'm not even sure Spanish is an option.
I brought a 17 yr old who had just finished his first year at college. He hated the entire school experience here in NZ and left for uni in the UK within weeks of him finishing school

stevenfoster13 Aug 3rd 2022 7:04 am

Thanks for the reply’s. From your reply’s and our own research, it looks like we’ll be staying put for now.

BEVS Aug 3rd 2022 7:21 am

Originally Posted by stevenfoster13 (Post 13132554)
Thanks for the reply’s. From your reply’s and our own research, it looks like we’ll be staying put for now.

Not Melboune then ?