Go Back  British Expats > Living & Moving Abroad > New Zealand
Reload this Page >

Contract Employment Question

Contract Employment Question

Old May 2nd 2013, 12:48 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute
Default Contract Employment Question

We are hoping to move to the Wellington Region, and as such I have 2 interviews next week

One is a contract for 6 months with a government department, having never even applied for a contract position before I am rather worried about it, how does it work in general, if I was offered the position, does that mean in 6 months I am out of a job, or will it most likely get renewed (if they like me), or will it all be dependant upon funding etc.

Anyone on here currently in contract work.

The other job is full time, which to be honest I think I would like the job better but it will all depend if I am offered it.

Also waiting to hear back from a couple other ones too, so fingers crossed for those too.

Strange having applied for numerous jobs in this area and getting absolutely nowhere (usually not even a reply), suddenly I'm 'flavour of the month' so to speak - hopefully something good will come out of it.
Old May 2nd 2013, 5:21 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: Contract Employment Question

sorry can't help out on the contract stuff

oohhh where you staying whilst your down here and where do you think you might reside if offered a place?
Old May 2nd 2013, 6:32 am
BE Enthusiast

ellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond reputeellenarosemary has a reputation beyond repute

Hi MrsF, staying at my eldest half brother in Upper Hutt, he has a converted schoolhouse which we can have rent free and save up for a deposit (due to all our money being tied up in the UK as the house is being rented out for another year).

Not sure where we will eventually buy, there is some lovely places particularly in your neck of the woods.

Fingers crossed, plus toes too.

Last edited by ellenarosemary; May 2nd 2013 at 6:38 am.
Old May 2nd 2013, 7:49 am

Location: Wellington - I miss Castles, the NHS & English school system
MrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond reputeMrsFychan has a reputation beyond repute

well good luck with everything, fingers, toes, eyes etc all crossed for the perm job coming through for you
Old May 5th 2013, 2:02 am
Forum Regular

janiejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond reputejaniejones has a reputation beyond repute

I contracted for a year when we got here, as the job I was offered could only be offered as a contract.

If you're likely to earn more than $60,000 in a financial year, you'll need to register for GST, easy to do, phone IRD. You're basically going to be self employed, so will need to make sure you put away enough money for tax and ACC at year end. I used the PAYE calculator to work out how much to put away and put it in a term deposit, so that I couldn't spend it. There's a similar style calculator on the ACC website. You won't get holiday or sick pay, so I looked at what my colleagues got, and worked out an on-cost for myself, and put that away in a call account, so that I could top up my wages if I was sick or took a day off.

You'll need to do GST returns every two months, and provisional tax as well. If you've already been salaried, likely that IRD will be able to tell you what you'll have to pay.

It's possible to claim work related expenses, and GST on work related expenses, the IRD website is pretty good about giving advice on what's claimable and how to depreciate any capital items you buy as a result of being self employed.

My contract position gave me a foot in the door with the organisation, a chance to show my skills, and led to a permanent job. I'm not the only one either. There's a fair amount of work contracting, as a lot of public sector organisation have a cap on personnel numbers, but the work still needs doing. I know one person who has been contracting for 12 years, and has no intention of changing that. So the post you're applying for might not become permanent, but it gives you a foot in the door.

Hope this helps.
Old May 13th 2013, 11:23 pm
Forum Regular

DTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really niceDTHarrop is just really nice

I suspect the 6 month contract could be a fixed term position i.e. you would be an employee (not a contractor) but the job would end after 6 months - could be maternity cover etc. There are strict laws around employing people in NZ on fixed term contracts and there needs to be a 'legitimate' reason for these - 'trying somebody out' is not one of them so I suspect, as this is a government department and should be doing this correctly, at this point they do not anticipate the work continuing after the end of the contract. That said other opportunities may arise during the 6 months and if you make a good impression.............
Old May 14th 2013, 2:19 am

Snap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond reputeSnap Shot has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ellenarosemary View Post
Strange having applied for numerous jobs in this area and getting absolutely nowhere (usually not even a reply), suddenly I'm 'flavour of the month' so to speak - hopefully something good will come out of it.
Yup, it goes from a famine to a feast when one is job hunting sometimes. I've had that happen to me here in nz as well as in Britain.

Last year I had three or four job interviews in as many weeks. This was followed by a series of turn downs, and one job offer. Funny how it goes ! The job was a fixed term temporary position. However, I can refer to that for my most recent experience as I'm still job hunting.