Reload this Page >

Contemplating.....

Contemplating.....

Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:00 pm
Forum Regular

dupe is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Contemplating.....

Hi all,
just thought I should say hello and let you know that I have joined this forum because we are toying with the idea of moving to NZ. I have been reading this forum for the last couuple of days, before registering, just to try and see what peoples thoughts (on all sides) really are.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:14 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice
Default Re: Contemplating.....

Hi ya Dupe.

What do you want to know?
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:25 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by happynz
Hi ya Dupe.

What do you want to know?
Hi Happynz,

I've been doing so much online research about it all that I don't have any specific questions at the moment, we filled in one of the forms that estimate your points and we are just waiting to hear back from them.
OH forgot that I have a City and Guilds so I don't know how many points we would get for that?
My main concerns are-
Low wages,
House prices look as though they are going the same way as over here (UK)
and the wages arent keeping up with the house prices.
Also, it looks as though you have got to be prepared for major career changes when you get over to NZ, not sure how we feel about that.
Who knows, we may not get the 100-140 points anyway.
Without wanting to cause offence to anyone I'm a little worried that so many Brits moving to NZ might change it too much? By the time we get there it might be like home from home.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 7:52 pm

happynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nicehappynz is just really nice

Originally Posted by dupe
Hi Happynz,
I've been doing so much online research about it all that I don't have any specific questions at the moment, we filled in one of the forms that estimate your points and we are just waiting to hear back from them.
Good start.
OH, forgot that I have a City and Guilds so I don't know how many points we would get for that?
Level 4 seems to be the magic number. I'm sure that a tradesperson that has been through that route should be able to fill you in on that requirement. BEVShere, our resident expert on plumbing matters as they pertain to immigration, knows a heap about that. Hopefully she will see this thread and give you some more information about the City and Cuilds qualifications.
My main concerns are-
Low wages,
Compared to other places, yup, the wages may not appear to be that flash. However, if you are adaptable and clever, you can afford a nice lifestyle. Mostly it depends on what you want out of life. If you have a materialistic consumer driven lifestyle you had better be prepared for figuring out on how to get some extra income coming in. It isn't cheap here.
House prices look as though they are going the same way as over here (UK)
and the wages aren't keeping up with the house prices.
. That's a problem, for sure. If you come over here cashed up on equity and if you can get work in areas outside the major urban areas you can still find reasonably affordable properties.
Also, it looks as though you have got to be prepared for major career changes when you get over to NZ, not sure how we feel about that.
Depends on what your job is now I would think.
Who knows, we may not get the 100-140 points anyway.
Yup, who knows?
Without wanting to cause offence to anyone I'm a little worried that so many Brits moving to NZ might change it too much? By the time we get there it might be like home from home.
I dunno, the only time that I see any concentration of Brits is on Saturday afternoons when I see a bunch of balding overweight duffers wearing a-size-too-small kit chasing a round ball up and down a muddy pitch.
I think they must have a wicked sense of humour.

Old Aug 29th 2007, 8:24 pm
Forum Regular

Thanks for the input Happynz,

Your not a football lover then?
Here's some news for you- we don't all love the game.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 9:51 pm
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

Thanks for the input Happynz,

Your not a football lover then?
Here's some news for you- we don't all love the game.

If you're an 'egg chasing' fan then you'll sure love NZ its the modern day home of the sport and the TV sports is very much 'rugby' based.

Personally even being Welsh to the core i prefer football (begrudgingly calling it soccer here).

The NZ/OZ 'soccer' is not that big a thing it seems in this part of the world but they do show live UK premiership games here which is handy as generally they are on when the wifes at work.....

Nz sky sports also has a kind of Match of the day review but minus the studio chat....

To be truthful as a general sports fan i've enjoyed some of the recent matches and NZ v OZ recently was very good.

Last edited by teambwr47; Aug 29th 2007 at 9:54 pm.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:06 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by niseysOH
If you're an 'egg chasing' fan then you'll sure love NZ its the modern day home of the sport and the TV sports is very much 'rugby' based.

Personally even being Welsh to the core i prefer football (begrudgingly calling it soccer here).

The NZ/OZ 'soccer' is not that big a thing it seems in this part of the world but they do show live UK premiership games here which is handy as generally they are on when the wifes at work.....

Nz sky sports also has a kind of Match of the day review but minus the studio chat....

To be truthful as a general sports fan i've enjoyed some of the recent matches and NZ v OZ recently was very good.
I think it might be hard to live in NZ and not get roped into the Rugby scene one way or another.
Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:19 pm

I think it might be hard to live in NZ and not get roped into the Rugby scene one way or another.
It doesn't matter if you're a rugby follower or not. It's not illegal to not follow the sport, but understanding the passion that many have for the sport here and how much a part of the national zeitgeist the sport is is helpful.

Old Aug 29th 2007, 10:39 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

when we first came there was a match being shown on the tv. Having just arrived and knowing nothing about rugby I thought it would be good to watch with the kids and see if we could at least follow the basics.

The All Blacks did their famous Haka.

Our daughter said, 'that's a nice little dance they did'.

I doubt they've ever had it described as that.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 12:25 am
`

BEVS has disabled reputation

I have a City and Guilds
City and Guilds in what please?

begrudgingly calling it soccer here
Don't ! It's officially called Football here in NZ.

I dunno, the only time that I see any concentration of Brits is on Saturday afternoons when I see a bunch of balding overweight duffers wearing a-size-too-small kit chasing a round ball up and down a muddy pitch.
I think they must have a wicked sense of humour.
You've seen our village team then? Mind you , there are only a couple of Brits . It's very multi-national .
Old Aug 30th 2007, 7:47 am
Forum Regular

[QUOTE=BEVS here;5251200]City and Guilds in what please?

English and communications.
don't suppose that will stand for much
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:55 am
`

Um. Could you be a bit more specific.

A City and Guilds in English ? Was this for ESOL or similar.
What type of communications?
What are the C&G course numbers or similar.
How long did you train for?
Old Aug 30th 2007, 5:32 pm
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Um. Could you be a bit more specific.

A City and Guilds in English ? Was this for ESOL or similar.
What type of communications?
What are the C&G course numbers or similar.
How long did you train for?
Hi Bevs here,

Very vague I know, but it was a C&G that I obtained 22 years ago whilst studying Graphic design. Owing to family circumstances I never finished the course. It was issued at the end of my first year of study and one afternoon a week had been spent on the English and communications part of the course.
I don't know where the C&G cert is so I don't know the finer details, though I know I could get another issued.
Not much point really as it's not really a work related qualification.
Thanks for your time anyway.
Old Aug 30th 2007, 11:50 pm
`

Oh right.

So what do you actually have in the way of points , qualifications, skills and stuff ?

Obviously if you are thinking of coming to NZ and have done loads of research , you will also have done the points calculator and seen which skills etc are wanted in NZ.

What are your points and in what areas have you gained them.
work experience etc

Once you give us that, we may be able to help you better.

The place to start is making sure it's possible for you to come. you mention careers. What careers are you in?

You can ask for views on here, but everyones views will be different and not necessarily relevant to you and yours.The best way to get views on the place is to come and see for yourself if it concerns you.
Old Aug 31st 2007, 12:22 am
Forum Regular

Originally Posted by BEVS here
Oh right.

So what do you actually have in the way of points , qualifications, skills and stuff ?

Obviously if you are thinking of coming to NZ and have done loads of research , you will also have done the points calculator and seen which skills etc are wanted in NZ.

What are your points and in what areas have you gained them.
work experience etc

Once you give us that, we may be able to help you better.

The place to start is making sure it's possible for you to come. you mention careers. What careers are you in?

You can ask for views on here, but everyones views will be different and not necessarily relevant to you and yours.The best way to get views on the place is to come and see for yourself if it concerns you.
HI BevsHere,
Looked on the points indicator and we have 90 points, 140 if a job was offered to my OH outside of Auckland, He is a print finisher- cut and crease/die setter and print finisher is on the ISSL, so I guess that helps the points along.
I have a small research business tracing peoples family history, involves record sourcing and visiting archives etc..
Niether of us have occupational qualifications.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.