CONTAINERS

Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:36 pm
Just Joined

laticsbird is an unknown quantity at this point
Default CONTAINERS

Hi, not sure where to post this as this is just a general question, so apologies in advance!
Can anyone tell me or give me some advice about how much furniture a container would hold? By that I mean would I be able to fit in my suite, beds, table and chairs etc?

Many thanks to all
Old Apr 19th 2010, 8:49 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute
Default Re: CONTAINERS

We brought just about eveything with us including bikes, tools, garden stuff (2 ad, 2kids) and got it all in a 20' container. When you get the different companies round you're considering using they will look at what you want to take and let you know if it will all fit in a 20' or whether you'll need a 40' container and quote you a price accordingly. We found insurance cheaper to do separately with Letton Percival but it is always worth haggling on container price and insurance.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 5:34 am
Forum Regular

educateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really niceeducateer is just really nice

We have brought pretty much everything we owned and it filled a 40 ft container. We managed to fit in:
  • 3 Bedrooms worth of furniture
  • Study, incl 4 bookcases, 2 desks, sofa and chairs
  • Living room furniture
  • Dining room furniture
  • Kitchen contents
  • Garage contents (shelves, chest freezer, tool box)
  • 4x Bicycles, Home gym and weights set
  • Garden tools, plant pots, shredder, strimmer
  • Trampoline and swing set
  • Clothes
  • DVDs, books, stationary, computer, printers, home cinema system
  • Washing machine, vacuum cleaner, carpet cleaner, tumble drier

We have a lot of things but even I was surprised when the container was full. And there I was thinking that we might get away with a 20', and that was before I decided not to bring the motorcycle.
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:26 am
bga
Forum Regular

bga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud ofbga has much to be proud of

Hi, i used ExcessInternational - http://www.excess-international.com/
Bought everything (except the car) 3 x beds, tv, golf clubs - 3 PC's monitors etc - and 58 boxes of everything else - filled a 4 bed house this end - cost £1600 door to door , which i still reckon was incredibly cheap - we had a part, not full container, if this helps. They packed everything and wooden crated stuff like a glass table top - nothing was broken when it arrived - I was well impressed with it all . They will come to you and give a free quote
PS I had to pay $100 this end for customs or whatever
Old Apr 20th 2010, 6:29 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Depends how good your packers are!

We lived in a 3 bed, 3 level house (traditional bay window house), 2 double beds and 1 single, wardrobes, a 3 seater and a 2 seater sofa and a large corner sofa, big 6 seater dining set, the usual electrical gear (big fridge plus a small fridge, dishwasher, washing machine, etc, TV's, stereo's computer's (the usual bits the kids have) a garage full of bikes, tools, compressor, welder, tool chests (I'm a mechanic), garden furniture and garden toys, etc and all went into a 20ft container.

All done by Barnes of Lincoln
Old Apr 20th 2010, 3:25 pm
BE Enthusiast

MattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to beholdMattandJax is a splendid one to behold

we're taking most of our stuff, 3 level townhouse,with garage storage...
filling 80% of a 20 ft container
Old Apr 20th 2010, 8:59 pm
Just Joined

laticsbird is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi agin,
Just to say thanks ever so much for everyone's replies. This has given me such a better idea of what I'm going to decide to take with us. I was going to leave quite a lot of stuff behind (big furniture etc) but I think we'll take it with us as it'll save us some much needed money when we get out there.

Thanks again everyone

Old Apr 20th 2010, 9:35 pm
Forum Regular

anniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud ofanniiee has much to be proud of

Originally Posted by laticsbird
Hi agin,
Just to say thanks ever so much for everyone's replies. This has given me such a better idea of what I'm going to decide to take with us. I was going to leave quite a lot of stuff behind (big furniture etc) but I think we'll take it with us as it'll save us some much needed money when we get out there.

Thanks again everyone

Hi we brought everything with us, including a car and motorbike filling a 40' container. As someone else said we also found letton and percival much cheaper for insurance. I would definatley bring as much as you can, as so far I've found furniture to be quite pricey here (I wish I'd paid Ikea a visit prior to moving lol). Good Luck
Old Apr 21st 2010, 1:27 am
Just Joined

Hazey will become famous soon enoughHazey will become famous soon enough

Hi agin,

Thanks again everyone

I would bring it all with you because that sort of stuff can be expensive to buy here. Good luck with your move
Old Apr 21st 2010, 9:17 am
Forum Regular

ibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud ofibex has much to be proud of

Reading through this thread, I believe we don't need a full container. We won't ship any furniture (in fact we don't have much) nor white goods so with clothes, personal stuff and 2 bikes we may hardly fill 1/2 of 20ft container.

Is it possible to pack a bike and skis somehow when sharing the place in container?
Old Apr 21st 2010, 10:12 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Hi, not sure where to post this as this is just a general question, so apologies in advance!
Can anyone tell me or give me some advice about how much furniture a container would hold? By that I mean would I be able to fit in my suite, beds, table and chairs etc?

Many thanks to all
In a 20 feet container you should be able to get in a two bedroom home plus!! in total we had over 148 items with 3 doubles/b two robes.Also bring the TV it will work on sky I have one that I lend out works well without sky.

Please advise the shipper if you have a leather suite to stand it Upright as some have arrived with mould on due lots of items placed on top.
Old Apr 22nd 2010, 7:33 am
If u see Sid, tell 'im...

Location: Ex of Hucknall and Mansfield, Notts and now in Manly, Whangaparaoa, just North of Auckland!
sirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond reputesirplug has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by ibex
Reading through this thread, I believe we don't need a full container. We won't ship any furniture (in fact we don't have much) nor white goods so with clothes, personal stuff and 2 bikes we may hardly fill 1/2 of 20ft container.

Is it possible to pack a bike and skis somehow when sharing the place in container?
I'd bring it all. Despite what you may think of your own white goods and furniture, they will probably be of better quality than the new stuff you can buy here. Also, get online to 'Noel Leeming' and 'Dick Smith' and check out the prices for electrical goods (white), it's shocking!
Old May 4th 2010, 1:50 pm
Forum Regular

grahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nicegrahamwookie is just really nice

Hi all,

I've just been intouch with Excess international. 612 cubic feet of stuff, £2,913.00 to ship. How much? I didn't it was going to be that much when others in this topic have shipped 3 beds worth and still under £2,000.

Excess said they can't do a visit to survey us before we ship BUT if we decide to use them I suppose they will do a visit then and MAYBE give us a more accurate price? Must call them
Old May 4th 2010, 3:46 pm
It is what it is Member

simonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond reputesimonsi has a reputation beyond repute

Bin them, plenty WILL do a survey FOC and then give you an accurate price.

If they haven't surveyed how do they know it is 612 cu ft???

My guess is that if you agree to use them then when they come to pack, whoops! More than 612 cu ft and its pro rata more to ship what you have... and they know it is then too late for you to ditch them....
Old May 4th 2010, 9:43 pm
Account Closed

harrogate girl is an unknown quantity at this point

Originally Posted by grahamwookie
Hi all,

I've just been intouch with Excess international. 612 cubic feet of stuff, £2,913.00 to ship. How much? I didn't it was going to be that much when others in this topic have shipped 3 beds worth and still under £2,000.

Excess said they can't do a visit to survey us before we ship BUT if we decide to use them I suppose they will do a visit then and MAYBE give us a more accurate price? Must call them
Hi When we left the UK back in 2003 we paid $2500, that was for 26ft container have you looked at white&co.
Most people that I have delt with have been paying around this sum due to the exchange rate loss at this end.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.