Containers

Old Jun 12th 2008, 9:24 pm
Forum Regular

CharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really niceCharlesMacLeod is just really nice
Default Containers

Could anyone give an idea of the actual space inside one of the the 20ft and 40 ft containers? We are in the process of decluttering the house and are putting a lot of stuff into storage (about 35 boxes of books for a start), but there is no point in putting it into storage if we are going to have to pay a huge amount to ship the stuff over! Any experiences gratefully received.....
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:40 pm
Chocoholic

Yummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to allYummy_Mummy is a name known to all
Default Re: Containers

Hey

I have been looking into 20ft containers as thats all we would probably need.

I have been advised that the internal dimenstions of the container are:
5850 x 2340 x 2280 internal dimensions (mm)

They also said something about the way the container is packed to maximise space. So if you choose boxes in a certain size you can get more space from your container. Sry really only noted down the dimensions... the rest was just hard sell, so i didnt really listen lol

Generally prices vary between companies, but i think it is usually around £3000 for a 20ft container from UK to NZ.

I'm sure there are loads of people on here who can give you exact costs, sizing and advise you of the best companies etc... I'm really just gathering info atm.

Anyway, Good luck

C xxx
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:45 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

We moved last year and had a 20' container. We had a 3 bedroomed house, 2 kids so heaps of toys, 6 boxes of books, 4 bikes, washing machine, tumble dryer, fridge/freezer and 2 counter top fridges, double bed, 3 + 2 seater sofas, heaps of bedding, clothes, heaps of ornaments, glassware, mirrors, pictures, crap from the attic, all the stuff from the caravan that we sold so another 4 sets of bedding, all the cups, crockery, pans and utensils, extra to all the usual kitchen stuff, about 12 very large toolboxes of all OH's tools and stuff, hoover, garden tools, chimnea, fire bowl. Everything was well cleaned. All tools (and I mean every spanner, screwdriver, etc) was scrubbed clean in Jeyes fluid type stuff and dried, all toolboxes were scrubbed too, and tools/garden tools that had signs of rust were painted the hammerite paint. Basically everything had to be free from mud, dirt, dust, seeds, cobwebs, rust etc. Oh, we also took plastic shed from garden and 3 section ladder, 2 sets of golf clubs, skateboards, 4 tvs, sky stuff, 2 video players, PS2, XBox, 2 boxes of CDs, 2 boxes of DVDs, 2 Boxes of computer/video games, 2 DVD players, surround sound system.
I think, from memory, we got around 190 items in the container. We were told it would hold a lot less than that but OH helped them pack it. In the end we got it all in. And it took 4 of them to close the doors! 3 of them to hold the stuff in place and 1 to slam the door!

Hope this helps
Old Jun 12th 2008, 10:49 pm
TeamEmbo

TeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond reputeTeamEmbo has a reputation beyond repute

I think we paid 3,150 GBP last May. Don't forget you may have MAF costs this end if they want to inspect anything. MAF wanted 55 boxes set aside when our container arrived here and we had to pay $485 for their 30 minute inspection. Pleased to say all items passed inspection.
Oh, I forgot we also packed in christmas decorations and artificial tree. Make sure you removed all pine cones, dried flowers etc.
And I think the only thing is your container has to clear customs too. Ours did without problem. But some people have had to pay duty on new stuff. I really don't know too much about customs side though.
Old Jun 13th 2008, 1:04 pm
BE Forum Addict

Justcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond reputeJustcol has a reputation beyond repute

dont forget you CAN haggle on the price.
We have got a part container and after a little negotiation got over 500 quid of the original quote.
Old Jun 14th 2008, 10:45 pm
BE Forum Addict

Genesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond reputeGenesis has a reputation beyond repute

Originally Posted by CharlesMacLeod
Could anyone give an idea of the actual space inside one of the the 20ft and 40 ft containers? We are in the process of decluttering the house and are putting a lot of stuff into storage (about 35 boxes of books for a start), but there is no point in putting it into storage if we are going to have to pay a huge amount to ship the stuff over! Any experiences gratefully received.....
We had a 40 foot 'high cube'..it was huge!!!! Contents of a 4 storey home. Just under 280 boxes, large items of furniture etc..but it was totally and utterly full. Its amazing what you can get in one. March 2005 it cost a shade over £7k for a full export pack..door to door delivery (*******) and unpack inc. ins.

Very good value in my estimation when you look at the logistics of it all!!
Old Jun 15th 2008, 5:42 am
BE Enthusiast

teambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to beholdteambwr47 is a splendid one to behold

A three storey 5 bedroomed house and all the kit that 15 years of living together and two young kids accrues fitted into a 40' high cube with no space to spare, it was chocked full apparently.

Just over 350 boxes and items.........

The container and delivery to our home here cost just over £5000.

Last edited by teambwr47; Jun 15th 2008 at 7:08 am.