British Expats

British Expats (https://britishexpats.com/forum/)
-   New Zealand (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/)
-   -   Container shipping NZ to UK? (https://britishexpats.com/forum/new-zealand-83/container-shipping-nz-uk-717845/)

turkeys May 21st 2011 7:47 am

Container shipping NZ to UK?

A previously asked question I am sure but I would appreciate any recommendations for shipping companies in the Wellington area please?

There is a possibility of us moving back to the UK so I am trying to gauge whether it is cost-effective to ship back our fairly meagre belongings we have bought here in the last 3.5 years, or sell 'em on Trade Me and buy again in UK.

It would be 3 beds, sideboard chair, stereo plus pots n pans, ornaments type-stuff. I suspect it would amount to half a container max.

Cheers!

john and julie May 22nd 2011 10:14 am

Re: Container shipping NZ to UK?

Just looking at volume and shipping costs versus cheapos at Ikea.............sell the lost and get new here in the sales

concretepump May 22nd 2011 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 9378666)
A previously asked question I am sure but I would appreciate any recommendations for shipping companies in the Wellington area please?

There is a possibility of us moving back to the UK so I am trying to gauge whether it is cost-effective to ship back our fairly meagre belongings we have bought here in the last 3.5 years, or sell 'em on Trade Me and buy again in UK.

It would be 3 beds, sideboard chair, stereo plus pots n pans, ornaments type-stuff. I suspect it would amount to half a container max.

Cheers!

hi we used the moving company from wellington, we moved back to uk aug 07 loaded it ourselves cost $7,000

john and julie May 22nd 2011 4:33 pm

When are you moving back to NZ?

concretepump May 22nd 2011 5:03 pm

Originally Posted by john and julie (Post 9380801)
When are you moving back to NZ?

hi do you mean me, if so well we have temporary work visas now , and will reapply in Aug 011 have a job waiting for me , but cant sell house so until that happens were going no where

john and julie May 22nd 2011 5:34 pm

return sil vouz plait

yes, we are the same so we have rented the house for life time.......uk economy nightmares

concretepump May 22nd 2011 6:31 pm

Re: return sil vouz plait

Originally Posted by john and julie (Post 9380857)
yes, we are the same so we have rented the house for life time.......uk economy nightmares

when we were there in 07, we were offered to apply for ITA which we did not do as we had made decision to come back, my wife could not get a job she went into nearly every shop in greerton, we also had house for sell then and came back because we had two much money in it to lose,
but we cant rent as we have a high mortage, as the song says what will be will be, we would like to be there now but i dont think its worth going unless you have some money, and as the job i have dos not pay that much it would be harder to start again,

turkeys May 22nd 2011 8:39 pm

Originally Posted by concretepump (Post 9380683)
hi we used the moving company from wellington, we moved back to uk aug 07 loaded it ourselves cost $7,000

Thanks for that. We are probably looking at half a container, or at least will try and keep it to that

turkeys Sep 22nd 2011 7:16 pm

Shipping arrives from NZ tomorrow. Woo-hoo!! A couple of weeks wait while they fumigate my socks then its all coming to our house.

We went with the Moving Company in the end - half the price of the UK company we looked at, even though they would have used them as their NZ partners.

janeyk Sep 22nd 2011 8:57 pm

lets hope they have not lost items like the moving company we used!

turkeys Oct 6th 2011 10:38 pm

All arrived after 6 weeks at sea with nothing worse than one cracked picture frame! Plus I found a bag of Eskimos that I had forgotten I packed :D

Can recommend the Moving Company.

Bo-Jangles Oct 7th 2011 11:49 am

Originally Posted by turkeys (Post 9662067)
All arrived after 6 weeks at sea with nothing worse than one cracked picture frame! Plus I found a bag of Eskimos that I had forgotten I packed :D

Always glad to hear containers arrived safe and well, especially when the alternative doesn't bear thinking about, nor does it really become apparent until you've actually had all your wordly pssessions out there on the high seas for six weeks or more.

Seeing the stricken container ship at Tauranga this week should be a big wake up call to anyone with ideas of skimping on the insurance. I keep thinking, please somebody do something and get those blasted containers off, before they all end up in the drink. :thumbdown:

http://www.nzherald.co.nz/nz/news/ar...ectid=10757036